I have an abandoned goat kid and I need some advice!

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by lulugoat, Sep 16, 2010.

1. lulugoat

lulugoat New Member

Sep 15, 2010
    Hi There,

Four weeks ago my partners parents goats all had kids. Many of them died as at the time we were at the end of a very cold, wet winter ( I live in rural Australia... doesn't sound like it gets cold but it can be -10 degrees celcius and even colder at night). I managed to rescue a few lucky ones from the cold and they are all fine now, however one kid that survived "Lulu" is still in my care, the others are all living in the pasture with their mums.

Lulu was one of three that I found. Her mother had abandoned her and another(who sadly I could not revive), but was nursing the third. Lulu was and still is half her brothers size. I have had her since a few hours after her birth and bottle fed her Divetalact (a general animal milk substitute in Australia) and now she is on Pallastart (a kid and lamb formula). Lulu has not received any milk at all from her mother, I have completely bottle fed her... so she has not had any colostrum.

Now, I do not know very much about goats at all, aside from what I can ascertain from google.

I want to provide her with the best life I can! She recently had pneumonia but has since recovered, but I am hesitant to put her out with the others as she tires quickly and I don't think that she can keep herself warm enough.

What do I do with her? I have grown very attached to her and am totally fine to keep her with me but I have not got a clue about raising kids. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    the real crucial time for a goat who never got colostrum is from now till she reaches 5-6 weeks of age. At least this is what I have been told.

you need to expose her to different things but not to much or it will overload her system and she doesnt have any natural antibiodies to help her fight anything. Especially now that she has been on antibiotics so young.

Seems like you would like to keep her -- can you get her a buddy to grow up with and so they can live happily together?

you have already been through a lot of the hard parts of raising goats -- I think you will do just fine.

i would have your girl vaccinated for enterotoxemia - the common name here is CD/T (its combined with tetanus). And start to introduce grain to her.

3. Mon Reve Farm

Mon Reve Farm New Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Southern DE
    Something else that might help is a "sweater" for outside play time.

Take an old crew neck sweatshirt and cut it down the back from neck to waist. Then trim the arms so that they reach a couple inches above the hoof. You can either cut the back to create pieces you can use to tie it closed or you can use large safety pins. If you use pins double over the fabric so that the pins have extra layers to go through and less likely to open.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with the others....

I will pray for the little one... :hug: :pray:

5. lulugoat

lulugoat New Member

Sep 15, 2010
    Thank you for the advice. I have made her a sweater from an old sweater of mine already.

A buddy isn't out of the question, she is quite bonded to our cats, she even tries to mimic them! We introduced her to some goats but she was terrified of them. I'm sure this would change with time, but whatever makes her happy right? In terms of a buddy, do I wait until one of the other kids is weaned and then bring it home with me or...?

In terms of housing, she lives inside with me and my partner. She does not like outside very much.( I think she thinks she is a lap goat, she loves dozing on my lap).
    I am currently looking for a new house to own as I am currently renting and I am trying to make sure it is goat friendly. Any advice on this? I will be moving interstate to a much hotter and drier climate and will not be living rural anymore.

Because she lives inside there are accidents on the carpet. Can goats be house trained? I know she isn't going to be like a dog/cat but goats seem to be very intelligent. She does go to the toilet in the same spots most of the time. What is appropriate housing for her once she gets bigger? When I do put her outside(we have a special outdoor pen at my work... yes she comes to work with me) she hangs out in the puppy sized kennel that my border collie used to sleep in when he was a pup.

I have also tried to get her to eat, I gave her some lucene, raisins and bits of apple and carrot to nibble, but I think she has difficulty chewing. Is there any way I can help her? And what type of feed should I give her?

Thanks again!

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    at 4 weeks its hard to introduce solid foods because she has no idea what to do with it -- she has no other goat to "show" her. It might take her longer to get the idea but if you leave a dish of grain out she will probably get curious and try it.

She will need a sizeable pen so she can run and jump and play - at that point a buddy is important. Now to her you are her herdmates. The sooner she realizes she is a goat the better though. Some goats do fine as single goats but this is rare. You may have a rare one who knows.

Yes you can house train them -- never done it but I have heard and experienced that goats love to pee on hay. So if you give her a box of hay and every time she goes to pee pick her up and place her in the box of hay (or use puppy pee pads they absorb fast and a lot) she will soon get the hang of it. Peeing is a voluntary act, pooping is an involuntary act. So you cant control where she poops though :-/