I have missed you all!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Anna, Oct 21, 2007.

1. Anna

Anna New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Fayette, AL
    Hey everyone! I know you all haven't heard from me in months. I've just had a lot going on with my goaties on top of my already crazy life. No one ever told me high school keeps you so busy. LOL. I'll try to give you a little update.

Around August, about a week after I lost one of my little bucks, AJ, my wether Lone Star past away to enterotoximia. I was there, and watched everything completely helpless, he died within a matter of min. of being a little sick. For those that don't remember, Lone Star was my baby. Sure, all my goaties are, but I loved having him becuase he had no other purpose but to be my buddy. And he always was. He shouldn't have died that day. I felt like it was my fault for not giving the kids their shots. That was the main reason why I hadn't been on GW even before it went down. I just couldn't deal with all the reminders, I suppose I was just hurting to bad. :cry:

Soon after I sold all of the bucklings, which dropped my herd down to 8. As much as I miss them, it has made the goats so much easier for me to deal with.

Then, Emily got cocci. She was BAD sick, I really thought was going to lose her. I caught is fast enough though, and was starting feel a little better by day 5 of the stuff. Sulmet and Vitamin Electrolyte powder saved her. She lost so much weight though. It took her a month to start looking a little healthier. Cocci is rough, and it isn't just a kid sickness like most people think. She is back to normal now though. I'm pretty proud of her. :)

Cow show season started up for us, and we have had tons of shows. My girls have all done extremely well. Thursday was our last show of the season. My dairy judging team placed 1st at the state fair proving once again that we really are the state champs! So Alabama's team is headed to Nationals in Kentucky Nov. 2! I am so excited. I will be in prescence of the top judges and cattle from all over the country!! It is a once in a life time chance! I'll try to get some pictures up from the shows.

Last week was my first goat show at our county fair. I had so much fun, and I honestly think my goaties enjoyed it as well. I took first place showmanship with the lovley Glitz. :) We placed first and sceond in the classes.

Oh, and one last thing Daddy built me a new hay feeder!

LOL, ok, so now you've been updated on the Red Gate nubians! I'll post some pics soon. I'm glad to be back!

2. Anna

Anna New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Fayette, AL
    On a non-animal related topic, my brother, Jonathan, is home from Iraq thanks to the prayers and support from everyone. Thank you so much.

3. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Even though you has some bad news to tell, it is good to hear from you.
    The judging sounds really exciting and I hope you do place well.
    Sometimes it is hard with goats because they can go before you have time to work on what's wrong- I'm sorry you lost your buckiling and wether.

It's good news about your brother too.

4. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    Welcome Welcome Welcome!!!

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    You know I am happy to see you here girl. :D

I am proud of you and I can't wait to hear how you do at the big cattle show!

That is wonderful about your brother - tell him THANKS for me ok!!!!

6. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    Welcome!! So sad to hear about your goats but such good news to hear your brother is back safely!!

7. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Anna, I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your goats. It is so hard to lose them but even worse when you THINK it is your fault. Anna, there are a lot of people that do NOT give CDT, and they have never had any trouble. I believe we all do it just to make sure because, What if? There was a reason that you did not do it, and there is nothing wrong with that. Please do not beat your self up over it. Do you know 100% that is what happened to Lone Star? It is a very hard lesson. It sounds like you have had a lot of GOOD news. Congratulations on the judging team. That is wonderful, and I wish your team the best of luck. That is quite a honor. I bet you all worked very hard to make it that far.

God bless your brother. That you lord for brining him back safe, and back to the family. Please, THAT YOU BROTHER FOR WHAT HE HAS DONE FOR YOUR COUNTRY. I am not really at all for this war, and how long it has gone on, but those military folks are just doing their job, and thanks to them we are the GREAT USA!!

8. Anna

Anna New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Fayette, AL
    Thanks everybody. We did get a necropsy done on Lone Star and it was definately enterotoximia. I am trying not to blame myself, I still do, but I feel a little better about it now... Daddy aways reminds me to live and learn, and Lone Star's death has probably saved many others becuase I've tried spread the word. My feed store now even sells the vaccine after I shared my story with them. They didn't even know they had such a thing. ignorance is bliss, right? Well, I did know, I just never thought it would be a problem, that's where I feel guilty. Also the necropsy was done at an amazing vet school, and I pray that those students strenghtened their knowledge of our beautiful goaties, and maybe... just maybe they can use that to save even more.

9. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Thats the way to look at it! Smile through the tears.

Your Daddy sounds like my Daddy :D

10. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    I am glad you found out what it was. We are learn new things everyday so don't blame yourself for it.

11. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    Thank you for sharing your experience, Anna. As painful as it may be, just know you have thoroughly educated at least one newbie on enterotoxemia:

http://www.goatworld.com/articles/enter ... mia2.shtml

I'll be on the horn with my local feed store tomorrow to inquire about the vaccine .... I think his business has increased at least 20% since I got my goats.

mmm

12. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    Thank you for sharing your experience, Anna. As painful as it may be, just know you have thoroughly educated at least one newbie on enterotoxemia:

http://www.goatworld.com/articles/enter ... mia2.shtml

I'll be on the horn with my local feed store tomorrow to inquire about the vaccine .... I think his business has increased at least 20% since I got my goats.

mmm

13. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Hi Anna! Nice to see you again!!!
    Sorry to hear about your goats, *hugs*
    Congrats on your show wins!
    and a THANK YOU to your brother for serving our country!! :D