I have no idea what to do about this?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Kfin, Nov 26, 2010.

1. Kfin

Kfin New Member

Jun 23, 2010
    Canyon, TX
    So Panda was in heat on Sunday, I put her in with my buck, we changed his name to Prince btw. Anyhow I never saw them breed but on Monday she had a very messy backside, and was a little swollen with a white discharge, but she was still acting very lovey dovey with him so I left them together for a couple more days, I took her out on Wen, and then today she was back to acting all loving with him, and mounting the other girls acting like she was in heat again. So I put her back with Prince, she would stand for him but he would just mount her and then slide off, he did this for like 30min, then I decided to watch from inside the house since it was so cold, I turned around and walked just a few feet than turned to see them and he was on her and this time actually did go in but it lasted only like 3 or 4 seconds and then he slid off and was interested in eating after that and not longer interested in her. So was that a successful breed? if it was does it really go that fast? I mean wow it was over so quick. Anyhow they are now just out there eating together and not acting interested in each other.

I just don't know if she is really bred now or not? It was so much easier with horses lol. We just hand bred and led the stud to the mare took about 2min and it was done and we knew she was bred for sure lol. I have looked all over the internet for a successful breeding of goats and can not find anything.

Is it normal for them to take so long to breed? Prince has breed two or three does before we got him this year so I know he knows what to do, but he sure takes a long time.

2. Paige

Paige Senior Member

Oct 14, 2010
    ohio
    Mine come back into "heat again in about 5 days and I just let the buck do it again. I think it kind of insures that they are bred. But after that if she comes into heat in a couple of weeks you know it did'nt happen and you either try again of try a diferent buck. good luck!

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Yes ...the buck does it real quick... he is up ....mounts and will kinda throw his head back...and dismount...when he does it right....you may also see the Doe....hunch up......... the buck will be satisfied for a while....and eat or lay down.... and then he will be ready again after a short while........don't remove her ...until she doesn't allow him to mount her.... write the date down on the calender ...when you see her being bred ....count 18 days and test her up to the 22 day....if she doesn't come in again ....she then should be preggo.... :wink:

4. Kfin

Kfin New Member

Jun 23, 2010
    Canyon, TX
    Ok well I am guessing then that they did breed, because just as I turned around his head was back and then he slid off, but it was sooooo quick, I thought nah theres no way it can happen that fast lol. But I guess it can. :shrug:

5. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I know how you feel.... it is amazing how fast they are.... don't feel bad ....I thought the same way.... when I first got into goats...HeHe.... :laugh: :wink:

6. Paige

Paige Senior Member

Oct 14, 2010
    ohio
    Its amazing how fast they can do it! this year, I wanted to wait and breed my grade doe for april kids, but I guess she and the buck had other idea cause when I took him in to test one of the other does, he had mounted her and bred her in about 5 seconds flat! Well now mystery is going to have feb. kids. Two months earlier than I wanted!

7. Kfin

Kfin New Member

Jun 23, 2010
    Canyon, TX
    Wow that is amazing at how fast it is lol. When we bred our stallion to a mare, he was kind of slow about the actual deed, and afterwards he would just relax and lay on the mares back, he would just stay there and we would have to walk the mare out from under him lol. I guess I was expecting it be more like that. :scratch:

8. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Hehe.... yep... they are different all right ....they don't waste any time..... once they know what to do.... Romance is short lived.... :wink:

9. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Some bucks take long to actually get down to business but once they do its seconds and then done. I let mine stay together all day and then remove the doe when she is running from him

10. firelight27

firelight27 Hopelessly Addicted

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    I have bred horses, goats, and dogs and they all have different things to look for to know if they had a successful cover. Dogs are easiest, since a successful cover results in a tie. And they are only preggo two months, so you don't have to wait ages for babies. Of course you are not supposed to ever let them just have at it, since the male can be seriously injured if the female freaks out and won't stand still during the tie.

Horses are more tricky. I've always considered a successful cover with a stallion, one in which he does the thing and then "rests" on top of the mare like he just got smacked in the head with a two by four and is a little woozy. An experienced stallion can get it done more quickly than a younger one...but the last stud I used on the one mare I have bred for this year routinely took from 30 seconds to 1 minute to get the job done once he achieved intro-mission. Everyone says to watch for flagging of the tail to ensure the stallion did his duty, but many stallions don't flag, or you can't see it. You can always hold your hand at the base of the penis to feel for pulsations that indicate a successful cover..but not only is that icky, it can be dangerous to get in-between them. Although I guess it isn't as icky as guiding the penis into the mare. Have had to do that multiple times. Horses can be the most disgusting animals to breed I think, in terms of what you have to do. Because their fertility rates are lower than most animals and infection rates are high, you actually have to wash everything thoroughly. Bleck.

At least you don't have to wash goats, or touch any parts, and they have great conception rates. My oldest buck takes only 3-5 seconds to successfully cover a doe. He kind of gets going really fast for a few seconds, then gives one big thrust. His head usually comes back, but not always. He does nearly fall over every time he has had a successful cover, however, because with that final thrust he gets his body so straight and unbalanced. The first time he ever covered a doe, he DID fall over backwards. It looked like he fainted. I laughed myself silly. That is why it can be risky to tease a bunch of does at once. I will take my buck in on a leash and tease, but you have to keep a close eye...because it only takes a few seconds to let him accidentally cover the wrong girl. I have one this year that was accidental, so she will be due a month earlier than planned. My buck slipped out of my grasp, ran up the field, and had her covered her before I could get through the gate. And yes, the girl hunching up or having a really messy behind is a great sign of a successful cover.

11. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Buck goats are pretty quick...and wether they are experienced or not, they still end up sireing kids. My pygmy buck wasn't used for two years and though he was the only buck I had for 4 years, he sired a good many kids...his first breeding after that 2 year abstinance was with Bailey, it was embarrasing for him but funny to me, he mounted and went backwards before he even got close to a successful breed, guess he was too excited. DH was actually mad at me for laughing...something to do with a "man's pride".

12. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    LOL...you should see fainters breed it's funny as heck but you always know when the deed is done. I keep mine in a breeding pen for about 3 minutes.... when the buck locks up and falls over and the doe hunches her back...she's been covered. :) Of course...I had a doe this year that fell one direction and the buck fell the other....it was hysterical....both were laying on the ground facing each other for almost a minute. :laugh:

13. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Jess - that is hysterical! Mine take about two seconds. I hand breed them all, so I know exactly when they are due. Monday we are doing CAE tests on all the bred does and the two I want bred that aren't done yet, and this year I'm having tests done for the ones that I have bred to make sure.

Jan

14. Lexibot

Lexibot New Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Missouri
    With as much trouble as I am having, I am thinking about hand breeding them too!! :veryangry:

This is the first time I am actually breeding goats. And for a couple days, everyone seemed normal, now Sunny is all acting excited again, and very vocal, SOMEONE in that pen is going in heat, but he's chasing the ones that were already in heat and mounted... This is annoying me.. one of these does has already been in heat 2 times and he mounted her... Very frustrating....!!!

Would he chase a doe even if she is already bred?

15. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    OMG LOL!!!! That is just toooooo funny! With all I hear about fainting goats, I want some!!! I hear their personalities are awesome, and well the fainting...hehe... :wink:

We have a doe in heat right now, and our buck has been all over her for a few days, but today they started doing the deed. He bred her in the woods when they were browsing - my hubby was watching them since our wooded area isn't completely fenced in yet.
    Then, when I was washing dishes I looked out the window and he was starting to get interested again, and mounted her a couple of times, then went back to eating.
    I say, let them stay together for as long as she lets him do the deed, if he's like our buck, once she's done, he's done and he doesn't mess with her again. That is the only reason we allow our buck to stay with our girls all the time, he's a good boy and doesn't harrass them. Of course, when the girls start kidding he'll have to be in his own pen :(

16. firelight27

firelight27 Hopelessly Addicted

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    People will tell you that a buck will not generally mount or chase a pregnant doe, but that isn't always the case. My current buck won't chase anyone who is not in heat. He gets excited when I bring a girl over, comes over and starts pawing and wagging his tongue at them, etc...but if they run away and headbutt him a couple of times he just wanders off and loses interest completely. On the other hand, I used to have a buck who chased, harassed and tried to mount all of the girls all of the time. I let him in with his girls once I was sure they were preggo, so that I didn't have any unknown due dates, and he chased them for a couple of weeks straight even though they were never in heat. I finally had to remove him so that he would quit stressing the moms-to-be. And they all kidded on schedule, so he wasn't chasing open does.