I have ready so many horror stories about kidding I scared

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by Kfin, Sep 14, 2010.

1. kannm

kannm New Member

Mar 18, 2009
    Re: I have ready so many horror stories about kidding I scar

That is good to hear Liz. Sometimes it can be scary.

2. pelicanacresMN

pelicanacresMN New Member

We've only had one case that we've needed vet help on so far. You just never know until you try if you will have a problem or not. The chances are slim that there may be a problem, but it's great to do the research so you will be prepared if the situation arrises. Kidding season is definately the highlight of my year--it's so fun to see the colors/patterns, guessing how many kids there will be & if they will be bucks or does. I sit for hours each day in the barn when the kids are finally born & just watch them run & bounce around.
    We use the banding method also to castrate. It's so simple to do & it doesn't even seem to bother most of the kids.

3. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky

We just got goats this past spring, and two does kidded in early July. I was terrified, but excited. Everything went fine. The first doe kidded, but definitely needed help pulling her big boy out, he came out with one foot tucked under him and he was such a big boy! He's almost 11 weeks now and weighs between 35-40lbs. At least I think he is big, and spoiled rotten...hehe...BTW we have boers/boer percentages.
    Our other doe kidded a few days later, she had twins, and needed no help. The first one came out, and she was trying to stand the second she was out. The second one came out not even a minute later, and everything was just fine.

I think there are precautions to take to help with a healthy labor. I need to look this up myself, but I read somewhere that you shouldn't give too much grain in the last few weeks because that's when the kids grow the most, and can lead to problems for the doe --- trying to deliver a large kid.

I have 3 does possibly pregnant and all due around Christmas and New Years! I am nervous because it will be cold out, plus well these girls are like my kids, and like anyone your close to and love, your going to worry about things going wrong.

BTW, one thing that helped me greatly was going on youtube and watching video's of goat births! It really did help me learn what to expect, definitely go check them out. Just do a search for goat labor I am sure that will pull some up :)

4. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC

I've been raising goats for 5 years and this year was the first bad birth I've really had. So no its not that common. I've had to help only about 2, maybe 3 times really and that's with quite a few kiddings. I think we have averaged about 15ish kiddings a year.

5. pelicanacresMN

pelicanacresMN New Member

Fiasco Farm website has a ton of info, pictures & I think a few videos of kidding time also. They also have info on about every other goat topic you can think of. http://fiascofarm.com/goats/index.htm