i have to get this strait!!!

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Nigerian dwarf goat, Nov 4, 2018.

1. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    Urinary calculi
    so i have always been told that giving alot of alfalfa to a buck will cause UC... is this true? what causes UC?
    And can does get UC? i have NEVER delt with UC but now i have a buck and if he gets UC, ill need to know how to treat it...

Zinc deficiancy
    What are symptoms of zinc deficiancy?
    how do you treat zinc deficiancy in goats?
    ive been told to give them human zinc pills, but make sure not to overdose, but how do you know if you're giving too much?

Selenium deficiancy

can i give selenium/ vitamin e gel to preggos.
    why does Cricket love the selenium gel SO MUCH?!

BrazitoFarms and Kaylam like this.
  2. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Most cases of UC are actually caused by too much phosphorus. Ultimately though what causes UC is not a correct calcium to phosphorus ratio. You want 2:1 cal:ph. Wethers who were handed too early before things have stretched and grown are also more prone to UC. Does can get it as well but because their tube (yeah I’m awesome with names of body parts lol) are larger it usually doesn’t cause a issue but very much could so you would still want to try and have that same correct ratio.
    Zinc- wait for Mariarose she is awesome when it comes to zinc. Just to give you something to read till she gets here
    Effects of an Excess of Zinc:
    Interferes with utilization of copper and iron and may actually induce copper deficient anemia.
    Effects of a Deficiency of Zinc:
    Poor reproduction, reduced conception and reduced immune response in all species.
    Poor feed efficiency and poor growth.
    Lesions of the skin, poor hair and feather development; rough and thickened skin (parakeratosis), bald spots.
    Legs tender, easily injured, raw, bleeding, and weak.
    There is also a decreased ability to make antibodies and resist diseases due to depressed protein synthesis
    Selenium. Yes you can give to pregos and is actually good to give to them! Trust me you don’t want to have selenium deficiency going on at kidding time, it’s very heart breaking. A lot of people’s goats absolutely love the gel. One guys dog loved it too and ate a whole tube! They probably just think it tastes good.

3. Goatzrule

Goatzrule Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    New England
  4. mariarose

mariarose Well-Known Member

@Nigerian dwarf goat We can, and will, and Jessica has, given generalities, but we can't get too specific until we know more about what your goats are already getting, feed and mineral wise. Because, you see, nutrition is complicated and minerals work with and against each other, according to bioavailability and ratios.

Congrats on getting a buck, they are awesome. Consider getting another one so your guy won't be alone when he isn't breeding.

Ammonium Chloride (AC) is a preventative and treatment for Urinary Calculi (UC) Some mineral mixes have AC in them, but if yours doesn't, it is an easy fix. Mix 1 1/2 lbs of this product
    [​IMG]
    found here (amongst many places)
    https://smile.amazon.com/AniMed-99-...8706&sr=8-1&keywords=animed+ammonium+chloride
    with 25 lbs of your favourite mineral mix and keep that mineral mix available 24-7. That's the prevention dose. You still may have to deal with UC but you have a whole pound of AC left.

Alfalfa is very good for bucks. It is highly nutritious. They need the calcium. Especially if you are feeding grain or concentrates, which are heavy toward phosphorus. You need both calcium and phosphorus, but in the right proportions. It needs to be at least 2:1 but can be even more. There is an upper limit, and I don't know what that limit is. Too much calcium will suppress zinc activity. So don't give them only alfalfa, Which you aren't going to do because that makes them ill (apart from the UC) So generality is alfalfa is good, but they need other stuff too. 2:1 total dietary intake of calcium to phosphorus at least. My favourite mineral has 1.5:1, which I'm fine with because I do give alfalfa pellets.

Here is an article that explains this in an understandable manner.
    https://thriftyhomesteader.com/zinc-deficiency-goats/

Another ratio that's important is copper to zinc. The best ratio is 1:4. Most mineral mixes I've had personal contact with don't go that high and I'm starting to wonder if a lot of us, because we focus on calcium and on copper so much, are dealing with a chronic zinc deficiency. Frankly, I'm just starting to explore that, and what I might need to do about that. I've never heard of zinc pills, but unless your mineral mix is crazy low on copper, I don't see you overwhelming the copper with a human zinc pill. And if your mineral mix IS crazy low on copper, well, you have other problems even more pressing. So go ahead and give more zinc, especially if you start giving alfalfa. My favourite mineral has a 1:4 ratio.

While selenium toxicity is a thing in a few small (tiny)areas of the country, selenium is so regulated on the incredibly low level that it is hard for me to imagine your does do not need supplementation during pregnancy. A kid born deficient in selenium is a heartbreaking thing. Almost everyone has to supplement selenium, sometimes very heavily. My favourite mineral has 80 ppm selenium and I still find ways to give them more.

Another generality. In your mineral mix ingredients, a lot of oxides are NOT a good thing. The body does not use them very well. If you see a lot of oxides, then you've probably wasted your money. Fortunately, you haven't wasted that much because minerals filled with oxides are cheap. And sulfates need to be watched, too. If most of your ingredients are in a sulfate form, that is a lot of sulfur. Sulfur is an antagonist to several other minerals. Sulfates are not bad, but that should not be the only form you see.

And speaking of sulfur, a high level of sulfur can contribute to goat polio. Soybeans are high in sulfur. So if you feed a lot of soybean products, AND your chosen mineral mix is high in sulfates, then you will want to find a way to supplement thiamine. (that's vitamin B-1)

So, to sum up,
    *Could you post a picture of your goats? Out of whack nutrition very often shows up with visual signs.
    *Could you tell us your mineral mix, or post a picture of the label of your chosen mineral mix? There are 2 important parts to the label, the Guaranteed Analysis, and the Ingredients, Both would be helpful.
    *Can you give us a short description of the rest of your feed regimen including what they browse on, what kind of hay, grain, concentrates, protein tubs, copper boluses, salt licks, etc? Believe it or not, even the kind of salt you offer affects how well your goats use minerals.

Oh, one last thing... Thank you for caring enough to ask. So many people around where I live feed a flake or 2 of "goat" hay (total c--p) and a salt block and call it good. So, Thank you.

I hope I have not been too confusing.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
    NicoleV, elvis&oliver, Kaylam and 4 others like this.
  5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    All, really good advice.

6. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Wow! I learned something new! I did not know that high levels of sulfur can cause goat polio. Our water has sulfur and iron in it. I've always fought the iron and ignored the sulfur.

Thanks!

elvis&oliver and mariarose like this.
  7. mariarose

As I've said, and so many people don't want to hear (including me), "It's complicated."

If I said it causes Goat Polio, what I should have said is it contributes to, makes smooth the path for, is a stepping stone of, facilitates.... Goat Polio.

We know there's a more than definite link. We can't say... "If A then B"

But that link is enough for me to check all my ingredient lists all over again! That's just using the sense God gave a goose, Yes?

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  8. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    Grain: whole oats and barley. All goats get 1/2 cups whole oats, and 1/2 cup steamed barley twice daily. There isnt a specific amount of BOSS they get... they get it as a treat about 2-3 times a week.

Hay: The does get: Free choice alfalfa and coastal hay, they graze many weeds and coastal grass. Buck gets the exact same, but it takes him a while to finish his hay and alfalfa ( mostly because he doesnt waste nearly as much)

Minerals: everybody gets free choice purina wind and rain storm minerals, and i just started replamin gel plus today! And i have given the buck copper boluses on September 22 and 2 does copper on October 11. I need to give 3 other does copper boluses. I have given them all 2 doses of seleneum/vitamin E gel.

I think thats it!

mariarose likes this.
  9. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    The buck and does share a fence line, ran along electric fence so no accidental breeding is going on, he can always see the does. He doesnt worry about being alone by him self because he has tons of toys in his pen so he doesnt get bored by himself.
    when we had the old buck we had a wether with him, but the buck was so mean to him! he would butt him in the tummy so hard, seymore ended up getting stomach ulsers, then he couldnt digest then got too dehydrated, ( with me drenching him every 2 hours) and loads of antibiotics and $800+ in vetrinary care, we had to but him down because he was only getting worse. And, to top it all off, it was under 20 degrees so that wasnt helping. Since then im so scared to get another buck buddy :(

mariarose likes this.
  10. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    These are the best pics I could get today... Sorry. Some of them are a week or two old and I will get updated pics tomorrow.

image.png
    This is baby, she seems to be standing weird, but the buck was blubbering and whispering to her, so she was listening!

image.png image.png
    Here's the buck! He got a copper bolus on sept 22. He needed it.

image.png
    Here's cheerio!

image.png

Here's poptart! This one and the pic above are old and I will get updated ones.

image.png image.png
    Here's cricket! She's my favorite, but all her pics are a blur. I'll get better ones tomorrow.

All of deltas pics are horrible. I will get a good one tomorrow along with crickets poptarts and Cheerios!

mariarose and toth boer goats like this.
  11. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    OK. I was just reading the thread zinc to copper ratio and @mariarose mentioned that carrgill right now onyx is a good mineral. Is it better than Purina W & R? should i switch? Will it give me better results?

12. mariarose

I think it is better, but many people here prefer the Purina. Purina is certainly easier to find.

If you decide to try it, you can always go back, or even switch back and forth. @goathiker says that it can benefit goats to cycle through different minerals from time to time.

You take nice pictures and no problems jumped out at me immediately. You feed well, also.

I'll take a closer look later.

13. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    Thanks!

14. elvis&oliver

elvis&oliver Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2018
    Pa
    Wow this is a good thread!! Is there a way to save just this thread somewhere so I don’t forget it’s here, Or have to search for it in the future? Like a bookmark?
    I’ve never heard of the cargill right now onyx I’ll have to look that up.
    I’m going back to the beginning and reading this all again. Ty everyone!

mariarose likes this.
  15. elvis&oliver

Jun 27, 2018
    Pa
    @Nigerian dwarf goat
    You do take good pictures they are all so sweet and have the cutest names. I love Cheerios color she looks like velvet. Does she get darker with her winter coat?

Nigerian dwarf goat likes this.
  16. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    If your on a computer or you can just get on a computer and save the page to your favorites. Or if you use the actual internet not the app on your phone copy and text it to your phone. I have so many things I have texted to myself it’s probably pathetic

17. mariarose

Because I don't allow random drugs on my farm, When I get Cargill's Right Now minerals, I only get the Onyx. The others have an antibiotic in the ingredients. If that does not bother you, then you might like to follow the colors throughout the year, That's what they are meant for, to respond to changing pasture conditions. But I highly support not giving antibiotics before they are actually needed.

Here is a dealer locator. It is not complete, so ask around to all your feed stores and see who can get it
    https://www.cargill.com/animal-nutrition/species/beef/products/right-now/retail-locator
    If you click on North East, you'll get this pdf.
    https://www.cargill.com/doc/1432082143392/rnm-northeast.pdf
    Pennsylvania starts on page 2 of the pdf.
    But if you are content with what you are giving, there is no reason to switch, "Just Because"
    @Jessica84 suggests putting new offerings out separately while still offering the new. I see some wisdom to that, especially with your goats being fiber animals. I can see how you would need a higher level of zinc than the Onyx would supply. I'm going to a town this afternoon that I can look at a bag of the Purina Wind and Rain, Storm to check the zinc level. I might actually just steal a label so I have it with me to refer too. But for Fiber goats, that may be the better one between the 2. I'll get back with you, tonight. OK?

toth boer goats and elvis&oliver like this.
  18. mariarose

Do you still have the current tag for this? What is the ratio of copper to zinc?

If you don't have the tag, I'm going to the town today where I can look at it, and I'm going anyway, so no problem.

I have to say, off the top of my head, the only thing I can think of for your excellent care regimen is to get a container of Ammonium Chloride. There are minerals with lots higher levels of copper that might help, but you are also taking care of that with the Replamin

toth boer goats and elvis&oliver like this.
  19. elvis&oliver

Jun 27, 2018
    Pa
    @mariarose that would be great. I looked up the onyx last night but I’m also unaware of what I’m really looking at. It always sounds okay to me which is why I’m saving this thread so I can refer back to it. I’m getting the Purina wind and rain today hopefully. With taking my daughter a total of 3 hour drive for treatments every day and taking care of her littles until her husband gets home I’ve been too busy. But today I’m headed in the direction of a different feed store that I know will order them if they don’t already have them. I also need to look at replemin plus? I see that on here but don’t really know much about it. I know that is a whole different thread and I can search it. This is a fantastic thread though I’m glad it’s here. I wouldn’t do the antibiotics either until they’re needed. So far the boys seem to be very healthy.

mariarose likes this.
  20. mariarose

Take a deep breath. You are fine.

You provide dry draftfree shelter, check.
    You provide clean water, check.
    You provide excellent hay, check.
    You are picking up quality minerals, check.

Only move forward from here if you see a problem developing. There are things you need to have on hand in case of an emergency, yes. But you are already supplying their main needs. Relax. Enjoy the little ones and support your daughter and let your fuzzies support you. (after you pick up the quality minerals, of course.)

elvis&oliver and toth boer goats like this.