The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question #1: So I have a 9 month old nig. Doe. She is a little small for her size, a little thin and she has a pretty scruffy coat. Should I get some grain for her? Would calf manna or goat chow be ok?

Question #2: I also have a 4 yr old Pygmy doe. She is feeding twin doelings right now. Should I also give her calf manna or goat chow?
Is it ok for the adult goats to have goat chow if I buy some? Thanks:D

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Yes I would grain them both and add calf manna to the grain. Build them up slowly. I would also have them checked to see if they have worms and a coccidia problem.
How old are the does kids? If they are 12 weeks old they should be weaned.
Do they have loose minerals and enough hay?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
How much should you build up to? I'm trying to put weight on my does before breeding. A 45lb pygmy, a 55lb nigi, and a 50lb minimancha. The package just has instructions for standard goats.

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
I really can not speak for the small breeds so I won't try, but give the calf manna slow. It always causes the runs in my heard.

Also it could be a cooper def with the rough coat and yes get a fecal sample to the vet.

That momma does need grain why she is feeding her babies.

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
I would say at least a pound a day of high protein grain, maybe two pounds. If you can't get a high protein grain (18%+) then add more manna.
With my dairy kids I try to get them eating 2lbs of grain a day (a mix of grain, alfalfa pellets, sun flower seeds, manna, and cob)

Sometimes I feed the kids straight manna, and they do great on it (1.5lbs of manna)

I used to have pygmies, let me see if I can find my old books with my notes on how I fed them.

·
Registered
30,552 Posts
Def. Get a fecal done, her scruffy coat and being thin couldbe worms, include a cocci check..give her a good look over to be sure there is no lice...
could be mineral def as well, like Lori suggested..

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well actually the twins are about 5 months old:rolleyes: and so should I
just get calf manna instead and I also planned on adding BOSS to.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh and does it help with growing kids as well? I have them two twins and another 6 month old too

1 - 10 of 10 Posts