I have you sold all your kids?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by rebelshope, Sep 25, 2008.

1. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    I am just wondering if those of you that raise goats and sell the kids, have you sold all your kids this year? Are your sales behind where they were last year? Are you breeding as many of your does for next year?

I am just wondering how hard it will be to sell my kids next year. Of course nobody can tell that now, but I am just wondering how sales were this year.

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    For me, I have had every kid born sold either before birth or shortly afterwards (within 2 weeks). However, last year, I had 4 kid in early spring and 7 kid this summer.

I am planning on breeding all 12 of my girls this year, but I am trying to space them out a bit more, instead of concentrated in a month or so!

Now not sure how the market is over your way though. But definately get a website up - start putting ads on craigslist.com or other online free sales places, and start getting people to your website and get them interested!!

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Had the most kids born this past year, 9 of the cute little buggers....the website helps alot but 3 of them were sold to two previous customers,2 were sold to Goat Spot members and 2 were sold by website....I kept 1 kid from each of my 2 retired does.....no problem selling here. I'll have 2 does to freshen next year , one with my first registered kids.

4. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    trying to sell goats here is like ripping teeth i sold two does to a girl in AZ, one doe to a 4h kid around here, sold a doeling that died so i replaced it with a wether(pets), i gave one buck away, kept one, he died... it sucks

5. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    I have 2 kids left for sale from this Spring crop -their dams were bought already bred and they are percentage boers- I already have half the kids sold in utero for my Fall/ Winter crop 08-these were bred by our bucks-Trax, Wildman, and 313- as it stands-we have sold more than last year, but all of our goats are registered now- We just sold commercial boers last year-the prices ranged $50-$100 each for kids, with our reg. boers the prices are $150-$300-for percentage and $250-$1000 for fullblood kids-the website also makes a big difference. The kids that aren't already reserved usually sell within about a week from their births-or a deposit put on them. I just post a lot of pics on the site.We bred about 10 does last year versus about 23 this year if they all took. we haven't had any problems at all selling any of our Fullblood kids, but the percentages are a little slower in selling,especially if they don't have great ennobled bloodlines.

6. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Last year I sold every single one of my kids. This year I sold all within a day or two except for a few I have now....haven't really advertised besides my website. And I also retained probably 5 does and 1 buckling this year. Here we have a pretty good market for nigerians and pygmies so they sell really quick.

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    had more kids then last year and was sweating it for a month but got all 10 kids sold and then had more people wanting some. So I sent them to other people who were having difficulty selling kids.

Website, website WEBSITE!!!!!!!

8. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    that stuff doesn't work here

i have a website, and business cards and all kids of marketing stuff and it just wont go..

im really PO'd right now cause i just had a girl completely back out of a deal and i am soo angry

9. all1965

all1965 New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    AR
    We have Fainters. I will NOT sell to any body who will use them for meat or meat production. I make them sign something stating this. This limits my buyers.
    I still have a lot of goats for sale. I am going to start lowering prices.
    I have had a wether and his buck brother since birth and they were born in Feb. 07.

10. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Thank you for the input. I am a website that I have been working on. I was really waiting to get my does so I could get some decent pic of them. I am going to try and bath everyone and take some better pic this weekend. The ones I took are only so so. It hard to take pic and try to remain buck free. LOL. Especially if you have raisins. :)

SDK I am sorry you had such a tough year. I hear over and over again about people who back out on sales of everything. I had to sell a horse a few years back. I hated all the people that were not upfront or honest. I am really worries about losing kids. I am going to be on needles and pin until these does have their kids on the groud.

11. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    We too sell kids super easy, if they are not reserved before birth then they are reserved soon after. Mini-goats sell pretty easy around here. Nigerians are easier to sell than Pygmies, for us.

I would recommend that you take a monetary deposit to hold any kids after birth (most everyone does) make it non-refundable (or partially refundable if you want). We ask for $50 to hold the kid until weaning/pick-up. If the buyer backs out, we still have a little something. . . .

Sounds like you're on the right start to marketing goaties. :D Website is the absolute best you can have, I think.

12. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I require a deposit of half the goats amount. I and let everyone know it is non refundable. This keeps it so buyers really think through it before giving the deposit. I dont take them off my website until AFTER the goat leaves and I have it as "sale pending." it came in handy this year when someone decided not to get a kid but switched her deposit to another adult doe I had for sale. Well I had a lady who saw the kid on my site as sale pending and said "if the sale falls through I want her" so right away I contacted her and she sent a deposit.

13. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    I had 7 kids born this year and I have 2 left to sell. Both are wethers and very sweet. I dont have much luck around here selling my kids even for meat. The 2 little ones I have left will stay here before they will be someone's meal. I love them too much for that to happen to them. I have a website, business cards, flyers, and word of mouth as well as knowing a few big breeders but still no luck.

14. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    see i tried the deposit thing and noone would buy goats at all, or even express interest

15. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    That really stinks, SDK. I'm sorry sales are bad in your area. . . . have you tried advertising in other areas, maybe offering partial delivery for a fee? I've found sales of our goats are better up in WA and I offer to meet the new owners partway for the cost of gas and some time, great success with it so far.

16. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    i drove 3 hours to blythe to meet a lady twice who bought three rabbits from me and then 2 does.. i guess the main issue is that people here expect something for nothing. someone wanted to buy a registered doe off me for 30 bucks.. i was like no way!! :veryangry: worse off they wanted me to breed her for free.. i was angry

17. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    everyone with the beautiful boers............. the market is down of coarse because of the economy ..but alot of the big.... big breeders have sold out..... california ,texas, and other area's,,they cannot afford to feed them........or are retiring........so they are selling out or have sold out........and even with the consignment sales .........where they use to get tons of money for there goats.........they are now selling them ...very low in price just to move them.........some of those sells are even forced to take some of there goats back home because they did not sell many.......or if......... at all......................There has been people that bought from me that have did a big no no in my book ,,sell registered FB's for $100 each ,,we asked one of them why she did that and her answer was " WHAT DO I CARE.... I AM GETTING OUT~! ...............................................OUCH THAT HURT,,and I've seen another sell 20 registered fb does for $1,500...................and I've seen at the plain old auction yards fb registered and percentages go dirt cheap with registration..............these people are killing the market for us that are still in it ,,and we are hoping and praying that the market will turn around and when it does ..........will be ready for all the people coming back in....................We all need to stand our ground on registered stock and prices.....Our lowest price registered goat goes for $300 no lower........... and to this day we still are sticking to it ...it may take a little longer right now because of the economy ,but we as breeders want to keep the sale prices .........where they should be ,,,I know we cannot feed all of them so we are forced to sell cheap,, but please do not give the registration with them if you are forced to do so............... :help:

remember the emu's .. llama's...just to give you an example: they were getting real high prices for them until some people started slashing the market and now you almost cannot give them away~! We do not want that to happen with our show boers.

We have people now that are interested in our goats, but when we tell them what the price is, they actually tell us " You are asking to much,I bought a registered doe or buck for $100 registered,,,these people are making me angry because of the ones cut throating the boer market" with papers..................now buyers think you have to give them away for real cheap prices............when you already majorly slashed prices on your goats and they want it slashed more, when you know your goat is worth twice that or more......... :help:

We have a meat goat buyer for meat so if we are stuck with our wethers or with bucks that are not amounting to much,,we sell them cheap to the meat buyer.......I really hate to do this but.......with this market ........it's better to do it that way then to starve them,what else can you do? :shrug:

18. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    toth- you are exactly right!!!! we try to stick with our prices on kids- we did not buy the parents for $100 each so why should we sell the kids for $100? Right? For example- Our sire 313 and CFW 359-it is a half brother sister breeding and the kids will have 10 ennoblements out of a possible 14-double bred Charlie-we paid over $2000 for the pair If that kid isn't worth at least $700 based on papers, then I don't know what is-We do have cheaper end boers with about 4 ennoblements for around $300, but some people want you to give them away- ICG Jenny- the fat doe on the home page of our site-she has 4 ennoblements- she was sent through a sale new Years and brought $150-bred to a son of RM Charlie- Of course she was brought home and then we bought her- In the market now she would be about a $400 doe -If the economy was better- she would be worth $700 or better. we just can't afford to give our goats away like some of the other breeders. If the doe is crappy- sell it really cheap for meat or whatever, but the quality boers-you have to stick to your guns.....It costs to feed, worm etc. and there has to be some profit somewhere out there....

19. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Yeah, what's happening with the economy now is making me worried about goat sales next spring. Glad our herd is fairly small. . . .

I agree with you toth boer - I dislike when people sell their reg. animals for dirt cheap, makes it hard for other people. I also dislike when they charge way more than their animals are worth. . . . it would be nice for a "happy medium" if you know what I mean. :) We're striving towards that. Do u guys think $200-400 for reg. quality Nigerian doe kids is fair? Not too much, not too little?

20. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    heathersboers..........you are totally right also........................this market may be dead, but the show boer will rule and go on......................with quality boer ......quality pricing.............................well...... dag nab.... it............ I hope>? :shrug:

capriola-nd ...............you are right to,,your pricing seems fine to me .................. :thumbup: