The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
4,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it was time for the BBQ Boys...two nigie wethers. My DH pulled the trigger and I did the rest. They turned out really nice looking.. My son is coming over tonite to cut them up.(he's a chef, and wants the practice). Then we'll cook some up and I'll have my first taste of goat!

·
Super Moderator
59,329 Posts
Good job! I have never kept the pelts since I don't want to deal with it but I bet tanning it would be nice.

·
Killer_goat
63 Posts
Hmmm...I bet there would be a market for the leather, if not there should be. Not sure but im guessing goat skin leather might be like lamb skin leather. Maybe you could have a nice jacket made..haha

·
Goat Feeder
1,436 Posts
I am going to keep my next boer hides from the ones I butcher. I was going to with the last ones but cut through in a few too many places

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
i like goat bbq but i guess it depends on the fat content on the meat. i'm not a heavy meat eater anyway. but do know what i like. i cook it like venison and it's delicious.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Whenever we butcher our goats we get their pelts tanned. Granted we have cashmeres so we usually butcher when they are full in fleece. We can then sell their pelts for a couple hundred dollars.

·
14,615 Posts
Alright, good for you Heidi! Do let us know how you like it.
If you happen to find someone local I'd sure like to know. There used to be a place in Marysville I think.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Fiberchick, do you mail them to someone? Or have someone local? I'm looking at Yost tanning to mail mine to...
We took ours to a local taxidermist who then sends it off to be tanned. They are stunning when they come back. Where are you located?

Also how are you storing the hides?

Make sure the hair is on the outside, so it's folded flesh on flesh and freeze it. Don't put salt on it as it makes it more difficult to clean the hide to get ready to tan it.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Now what do you all do with the pelts?
I flesh all meat and fat off the hide, then salt dry it and send to a tannery to get them tanned hair-on. Costs about $45 per hide for me as a taxidermist, may be a bit more for the public. Definitely worth the cost though as its a much better result than anything you can do at home.
I usually send my flat hides to Wildlife Gallery in Michigan. Another good one is East Coast Outdoors in PA. There is also Yost in Wisconsin. I've used all three and they are all good. Wildlife gallery skins come back smelling great and the hair is really shiny.

·
4,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm so glad to hear the recommendations! My pelts were salted, scraped, salt dried and are in the box to go to Yost fur dressing in WI. I just followed their instructions for preparation...
I can't wait to see how they turn out!

Also, I made Asada goat tacos and goat jerky. Both were really good! (I had to wait a few days before I could tuck into the meat:/).

·
4,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm so glad to hear if the recommendations... My pelts have been salted, scraped, salt dried and packaged to be mailed to Yost in WI. Looking forward to seeing how they turn out! I just followed their instructions.
I also made goat Asada tacos and jerky! Both were really good ( although I had to wait a couple days before tucking into the meat...:/ )

·
The more time we spend with goats, the wiser we be
1,625 Posts
We took ours to a local taxidermist who then sends it off to be tanned. They are stunning when they come back. Where are you located?

Also how are you storing the hides?

Make sure the hair is on the outside, so it's folded flesh on flesh and freeze it. Don't put salt on it as it makes it more difficult to clean the hide to get ready to tan it.
It depends on how long you are storing the hides. If it is only for a few weeks then yes you don't want to salt them, but if you are storing them for months-years you should salt them. :)

Also, how much meat did you get off both of them?

Patrick

·
Registered
572 Posts
What I mean is they shouldn't be salted if they have not been completely fleshed. Otherwise it's tough for the taxidermist to remove the excess meat or fat on the hide if there is any.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts