The Goat Spot Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Thank you for this thread. I have Nigis myself and am sure that there will be extra boys that aren't stellar breeding material, and how many pet wethers can you sell? Just gotta figure how to slaughter them humanely, as I don't personally own a gun...plenty of hunters around here, though. Hmmm. :thinking:

·
4,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
The meat has been really great! The butchering was not hard either...and if you know hunters, well it's pretty much the same as a deer to process.

·
1,524 Posts
Does anyone have links to the places that will tan the pelts? I would love to have it done, its just so expensive up here (150.00 +)

·
4,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I just googled pelt and tanning ... and came up with Yost fur dressing. I sent off the salted pelts, and have not received them back yet... but I'll surely post how they turned out!!! I had 2 small pelts and I've paid a 75.00 deposit (which I believe is the total cost..) again, I'll post what happens.

·
8,246 Posts
My alpine wether just escaped freezer camp! He was going to be our first candidate, but a lady that I sold 2 other wethers to, wanted
another boy- he doesn't know how lucky he was! I'll just wait till next year!

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
I have to admit , that finished pelt is very pretty !
Ha , who would have thought !
Goat hide , the new mink , lolol

Im not sure how I would feel about seeing the goat "come back" here not quite the same as before , lol. But nice job on the pelt !

Im far from slaughtering , in fact I could never do it . But I am interested in trying goat meat . At least I would "know" I am trying goat meat :roll eyes:

Good for you ! That is a big step to take ! Glad you enjoyed the meat and the tacos sound soooo good :)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Cool thread.

How did you prepare those goat ribs?

Also, no one has mentioned this yet, but many traditional drums including the djembe use goat skins. I wonder if drum makers would pay well for them.

·
4,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I did see that you could make drums from the goat skins... But I did not. I have several pieces of goat in the freezer, and I can't remember what specifically we did with the ribs... They were small since they were Young Nigies.

·
Registered
131 Posts
This is a very interesting thread! So, how much meat from 2 wethers do you get? Obviously from a Boer, there would be a higher yield, correct? Is it more of a gamey taste, or does it depend on how you prepare it? Is there a specific breed that tastes better, is juicier, softer, etc than others?

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
Cool thread.

How did you prepare those goat ribs?

Also, no one has mentioned this yet, but many traditional drums including the djembe use goat skins. I wonder if drum makers would pay well for them.
You know , thats not a bad idea. Im wondering if it would be the same texture.
It might have more of a Maaaaa sound to it probably :p

·
Registered
26 Posts
Now what do you all do with the pelts?
I don't have any goats, but from what I've read about trapping animals I'd like to share some of the knowledge I've learned talking to other people on trapping forums about what they do with their pelts.

There are several ways to prepare a pelt. Some have mentioned that the people that they sell to prefer you to just wrap it up with the flesh still on it fur side out, others have mentioned salting it down and fleshing it. As far as preparation is concerned, it depends on what you want to do with the hide. If you plan to sell it then do some research on markets in your area. There are usually "Fur Auctions" that take place around the country and trapping forums and such can usually point you in the right direction for fur buyers. Some buyers prefer to handle the fleshing/tanning process themselves and prefer you give the hide to them raw, others will actually pay you more for the hide if you flesh and tan the hide yourself. If you just want to keep the hide or experiment with the leather to make home made goods, I suggest just doing it on the cheap like this:
. The Survival HT channel has a lot of good videos on processing fur and a lot of their methods come from knowledge that's been passed down and not read on the internet. They use alum to tan their hides and if you picked up salt, alum, and a 5 gallon bucket you could tan your own hides for under 10 dollars. To summarize, depending on what you want to do with your hide you either want to find and talk to sellers before you decide what to do with your hide or I recommend tanning on the cheap route by doing it yourself. There are many guides on the internet that will teach you how to tan by using brain tanning, the old indian smoke the pelt method, or using a solution like the one I posted with alum (or another solution you can buy commercially).

The methods that Survival HT uses for preparing hides would make a lot of experienced older trappers cringe. Many of the old timers I've heard like to use stretch racks (it's like a board shaped like a "V") to stretch their hides properly instead of just pinning them up. You will get better quality by sending it off to a professional, but the one keep sake squirrel pelt I have from hunting (so far) turned out fine when I processed it and I don't really think there will be an amazing difference between a hide tanned at home and one tanned professionally. I think the big differences with professional or experienced tanners is that 1) the leather will be softer and more durable, 2) the fur will be more uniformly trimmed and probably softer, and 3) they treat the fur to remove odors. If you were going to use the furs to make clothing it makes a big difference, but if you just want a keep-sake or decoration it won't make a difference.

I know some of this may seem pretentious because I don't own goats and I've only ever handled 1 hide in real life and I'm sorry if this info comes off that way, but most of what I've said above is just me relaying information from people sharing their personal experiences from tanning thousands of pelts (allegedly) over many trapping seasons.

·
4,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Good info ! I was afraid to tan my own hides cause I figured it took chemicals and a lot of mess... But alum and salt don't sound that bad... I'm going to look into that!

As for the goat meat, I found it to be very mild in flavor and it seemed to need a long braising time to make it tender. It was very lean but if the goats had been a meat breed it would have made much more ... And probably fattier too. It's very good for something like pot roast or slow cooked for shredded taco meat!

·
926 Posts
Very interesting thread! Don't know how butchering got into hide tanning lol but it's good to know if you normally just toss it in the trash. I'm a DIY guy myself so I'm going to try doing this myself next time I butcher a wether ;)

21 - 33 of 33 Posts