I just had a terrible realization...

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by AlaskaBoers, Jun 14, 2010.

1. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    odin has always had a nice coat, bright eyes and perky appearance, since I've gotten him, he did look a little shabby at first and had an eye infection because of the previous owner's health.

Well he never really shed out his coat, disgusted with the stench coming off this guy I gave him a bath, i realized how skinny he had become under the winter hair :shocked:...he had a hay belly like normal though, go figure. So I gave him Ivomec. 10 days later he got another dose. good job right, and I had been waiting to see the results...

well he's started shedding out, but underneath the hair is scabby, flaky skin, and patches have been lost. Of course I didn't realize what it could be, until now a week later...mange. :tears:
    I've never had a goat with skin issues. and i feel awful for him.

symptoms;
    flaky, dandruff-y skin, hair loss along the spine and ears, patch of hair missing on the left flank.
    how do I treat this?! If the ivomec 1% didn't work, then I'm guessing I'll need to use the plus which also treat external parasites, which i don't have. I was going to get some but the livestock supply companies wanted to charge me $45 for shipping, you can get a flat rate box to ship that stuff for $5! :veryangry:

anyway, So I got some therapeutic shampoo I want to use on him, and this got me thinking, do my does have it??! So I ran out there to inspect...
    two does who kidded two weeks ago do have rough coats, but no flaky skin or anything, they're shedding out into shiny summer coats, there's one doe with a patch or two missing, so I want to hit her with the treatment too..

if only i could get the ivomec plus. :(

okay done. :hug:

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    oh, did some more research and it's sarcoptic, scabies. i guess 87% comes after the 'wet' season, and in Alaska, I'm wondering what season that would be...

3. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC
    Be careful you do not get it... I have had it once and it is not fun. You can use garlic as a natural cure also but I would use the Ivermec Once this mite gets under the skin it is hard to get rid of. He could have gotten it from hay. Check the others and maybe put them on garlic as a prevention. Best of luck.

4. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Oh my goodness......I have just been going through this with my guys......I have tried sevin dust and ivomec injected, no good results!.....I finally bought some stuff called Prolate/Luniex (I was told about it per a goat breeder I trust....read about it on beaglesunlimited.com), you mix it as a dip and I also bought some Ivomec Pour-On which I was really worried as to how they would react to the pour-on....but I was at my wits end.......FINALLY they are clearing up.......my guys had little scabbie places on their legs and were loosing the hair on their faces.......I am so sorry your having to deal with this, to me it has been a nightmare! I take such pride in how clean I keep my boys and their pen and they still got this awful stuff......my vet said I could have brought it in in the hay or straw! Another thing, clean and treat their pen really good! I took all the bedding out and sprayed their pen and then when I put down new bedding I dusted bedding with sevin or you could use DE if you have it. I figure I'll end up killing my boys with chemicals or I'll cure them!
    Something else.....make sure you spray anywhere they rub.....like fencing and walls, wood climbing toys.
    Hope this helps!

5. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Another thing.....my vet told me the scabbing and hair loss is how the goats skin reacts to the mites, like how people react differently to bug bites.......I have 4 wethers and I have one that shows no signs, but my vet said he still probably has them since the boys are together so for me to treat him as well....his skin just doesn't react like the other boys does....I have not had my vet out yet, just spoke with him over the phone and he said I'm doing everything I can.

6. cmjust0

cmjust0 New Member

Oct 8, 2009
    Ivomec Plus contains another ingredient called clorsulon, which kills liver flukes...won't make it any more or less effective against external parasites. Soo..no worries about regular Ivomec or Ivomec Plus. :)

Ok, so...how did you administer the Ivomec? Did you drench with it, or did you actually inject it? Drenched, it will help with lice...but not mites, usually.. When it's mites, I inject it.

Also, what dosage did you use? I usually go with about 3ml/100lbs injected, despite the fact that the bottle says 1ml/110lbs in cattle -- that's too low for goats.

The other thing I see that may be a problem is your dosing interval...10 days may not be long enough. The life cycle of mites is about 3wks, which is the interval I'm most familiar with seeing. If you dosed him at 10 days, I'd probably wait 3wks from the 2nd dosage and hit him again.

Something else to remember here is that, with mites, there's skin damage. He's not going to clear up quickly...you can kill the mites and they'll stop causing damage, but he still itches from the irritation, so he's going to continue scratching and probably further irritating his nasty spots.

There's also the possibility that he's got secondary bacterial infections, as well..

If he were here, I'd hit him w/ Ivomec 1% @ 3ml/100lbs on 21 day intervals. With the first shot, I'd also give a shot of banamine (1ml/100lbs IM) to bring down the swelling a bit and I'd start him on some kind of antibiotic...probably tetracycline (BioMycin 200 -- 3ml/100lbs SQ, 1x/day for 3-5 days)..

I'd also probably scrub him down again and try to remove a lot of that dead tissue..

He'll clear up...it's just going to take a while, and he's going to look like crap. I just gave one of our does a 2nd dose of Ivomec 1% this weekend, as she had some serious mite irritation on her hind legs. A day or two after the first dose of Ivomec (as soon as we had a chance), we got her up on the stanchion and I scrubbed her legs basically until they bled....got off as much dead tissue and matted hair as I possibly could. Then we rubbed in some medicated udder balm, which she REALLY seemed to appreciate..

She also got tetracycline, banamine, b-complex and Red Cell that day...the latter two just as 'pick-me-ups' more than anything.

When I gave her a 2nd dose of Ivomec a few days ago, her legs still look kinda dry and bald...but on closer inspection, I found that they're actually quite pink and 'new' looking, and growing lots of peachfuzz. :)

He'll clear up...I'm sure of it. Just gonna take time.

7. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    Drench

1cc per 33lbs

ugh, that's alot of places. :doh:

I REALLY hope I don't I have really long hair. lol

oh...well then, when I read that...geesh.
    this started after I bought this huge 1500lb round bale, there's only about 75lbs left. How do i treat with garlic?

8. cmjust0

cmjust0 New Member

Oct 8, 2009
    Most meds go almost straight through them when drenched.. I know people who have good luck controlling lice with Ivomec drenches, but mites are apparently a little tougher.

Inject him...1ml/33lbs SQ. Then wait 21 days and do it again. Banamine would probably help in the meantime, and scrub him down good. The spots that are severely agitated probably also have matted hair, dead skin, scabs, etc...scrub him till he's about "medium well"...mostly pink, with perhaps a little blood here and there.

I know..it sucks. :(

When you're done, hit him with something you can rub in...a 'lotioney' udder balm worked well for us. That'll soothe, provide some topical disinfecting, and put a little moisture back into his dry, itchy skin.

Also, if scrubbing reveals that the hide looks like there might be some infection or bacterial involvement (likely, I'd say, if he's scabby), I'd go ahead and include antibiotics....but that's just me.

Seriously, though...inject that Ivomec. That might be your problem right now.

9. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    okay thank you!

I seriously hate doing this to poor odin ..lol. I got him and he had never been handled at all. he's still skittish but I can finally lead him. so, let's see how scrubbing him until he's "medium well" goes over.
    again, thank you!

10. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    I use the brown bottle Lysol to spray everything down. I also give BOSS in my feed. Maybe try some vit. E? It might help the dry skin. I know it works on me during the winter. :p

Gina

11. cmjust0

cmjust0 New Member

Oct 8, 2009
    It sucks, I know...I really do.

What's odd is that the doe we had to scrub like this actually seemed to sorta *enjoy* being scrubbed.. Looked painful to me, but once I started really diggin' in with the warm soapy washrag, she stood quietly for it.. At the time, I kinda figured it to be like itching a bugbite until it weeps and oozes...one of those things that "hurts so good..." lol

There will still be scabs when you're done, btw.. You're not picking...just scrubbing. I scrubbed basically until the last white washrag came back off mostly white, with a little tinge of pink in spots. The first washrag came off pretty brown and with gunky...bits...stuck to it. It was grodie. :(

Like I said, though...she's doing great now. Your Odin will be doing great too, before ya know it! :)

12. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am so sorry... you are dealing with that.. :( ..isolate him.. it is contagious...
    wear gloves.....

I agree...Inject with Ivomac ....scrub him..... if he is really hairy... I would maybe shave him down.... that way... you can get to all the spots easier........ but remember to... disinfect the clippers after doing so... :hug:

13. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    yeah, he's always kept separate from the herd.

i hadn't been wearing gloves when i was brushing him out a day or two ago... then i realized and ran to wash my hands!
    I've got the syringes and I'll shoot him up with ivomec and a friend here was saying that I should use permectrin II, and it sounds good so I'll use that on him.

:hug:

14. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Yes... use permectrin .... :hug:

15. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    looking around up here will injectable permectrin work?

16. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    How's your boy doing today? I hope he is getting better.

17. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Not sure.. never tried it that way... :scratch:
    How is he doing Katrina?

18. Goober

Goober New Member

Aug 21, 2009
    I wouldn't inject the permectrin unless you find that it is okay - the reason you can't use permethrin (active ingredient in permectrin) topically on cats is because they absorb too much of it, most other decent sized mammals don't. Injecting would basically mainline a bunch of "absorbed" straight into them.

19. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    hi, I thought I'd replied ...hmmm

Well I gave him a big injection of ivomec, and the pour on mix of permectrin II and mineral oil. The next day he seemed to be more relaxed and not so itchy. I skipped yesterday because I ended up going on a six hour drive on the side of a mountain looking for a house in pouring rain and fog. lol.
    so today he'll get more permectrin/mineral oil. I also gave it to Ruby who seems to be missing a few spots.

20. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Sounds like.... some improvement already..... :thumb: :hug: