The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just cant get going today. i am so tired from milking yesterday. I didn't know how different winter milk test dynamics are.
We put off the test for two weeks because of the cold temp. we worried about the milk production falling because of the nutritional needs of the does in the cold.
well the temp range was between 18F and 30F much nicer than the weeks before.. Witch were highs below 15F lows below 0F we are lucky we live in tropical Montana. most of Montana was below 0F for high temps.
the tests went well i hope three of the five will star.

BUT
I'm just hammered today

·
8,700 Posts
I sure understand that stress of testing. A simple milk test for bacteria, etc. Took hours for the group I did last year- not even for milk stars, or
anything- but trying to figure out who was causing my counts to go up in the tank. Mental work is worse than the hardest physical work!

·
Registered
473 Posts
Good luck with your milk test results. Of course if you're dealing with American Dairy Goat Association you need twice the luck.
I know because they can't or won't figure out the results because it doesn't work in the new system. I did DHIR last year and a one-day milk test in May. We still don't have the official results and I'm not sure if I'm doing the formula right. Not that it matters I can't claim the milk Stars until they actually do something. But it's not their sales that are affected.
I am glad we rarely get long spells of cold. Of course then when it drops down below zero and into the negatives for a week it's worse because you can't get used to it even with my little propane heater running my girls and I thought negative 24 in the morning was stupid to be in the milk room unfortunately you have to do it.

·
Registered
473 Posts
CongratulationsUOTE="fivemoremiles, post: 2582542, member: 17271"]
We just got the results of the milk test.
Drum role
4 of the 5 stared with both ADGA and AGS.
three of the four are FF
Fat ranged from 5.9% to 8.2%
one of the FF does had 72 points.
[/QUOTE]
Congratulations! So are you just going on your own figuring? I'm not sure I'm doing it right and I certainly haven't heard from the registry I'm not sure if they'll ever get done with dhir or milk test from last year

·
Registered
Capriculturalist and Goat Slave
2,332 Posts
Wow that was fast! Big congrats!!! Were those from ADGA? I will be doing a one day test on a doe later this year and was wondering if they are getting results back quickly or not. I have a doe that completed 305 last year and earned her star but they have yet to post it to her.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Wow that was fast! Big congrats!!! Were those from ADGA? I will be doing a one day test on a doe later this year and was wondering if they are getting results back quickly or not. I have a doe that completed 305 last year and earned her star but they have yet to post it to her.
I doubt it came from the American Dairy goat association she's probably figuring it herself since I still haven't heard from my one day milk test in May that I did along with my verification test. Of course there's no DHR information either. When I've reached out to Jim vanderlein or Penny they just say that the system in NG isn't working yet. My comment was doesn't mean somebody can't do it on a regular computer and then enter the information when the system is up to date. It's very frustrating because I can't claim the Stars nor will the boys have their part which affects my sales. Not that they care

·
Registered
473 Posts
We have a friend that took the calcuations and made program to find out how her goats did. she says that it normally is right on or is low never high projecting how many points we should get.
I wish I could trust mine. I even asked them that could they just give me a sample problem kind of like you used to have in school so I can see if I'm doing it right and then I can plug my own information in and figure it I'm just not sure I'm right. Not to mention we don't officially have the results and who knows when we will.

·
Registered
Capriculturalist and Goat Slave
2,332 Posts
Oh I get all my lab results. I isually do 305 and my lab is on top of it. Juat ADGA is not reporting that this one earned her star last year.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Yea I have stars from last year that haven't posted. It's frustrating.
I know the feeling it's so frustrating because it doesn't affect their sales but I did dhir last year verification test one day milk test and I have nothing to show for it and they want us to pay for it again not to mention we paid for adga plus and didn't get linear last year either. I just wish I could figure out my milk Stars

1 - 20 of 20 Posts