The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wasn't going to say anything because I dont' want to start trouble but it's to the point where i'm not sure I can stay if I don't.There is such controversy over bottle raising or dam raising that people are losing goats because bottle raising on the forum is looked down upon so much. I totally support those of you that dam raise and just don't understand why you can't give that same support and respect back. I don't disagree with your choice because it is your choice so in my opinion then thats what's best for you. If someone comes on here and has a baby not eating the people that dam raise shove it down their throat to the point where a member lost her kid due to keeping it with a dam that didn't have adequate milk to support all the kids and me being one that bottle raisies can't dare say pull them because them my advice is totally shoved out of the way because "bottle raising is soo bad". I feel like so many on here are hell bent on dam raising that sometimes they don't look at what may be best for one particular members need at that time fora certain baby. I bottle raise and would just like a little respect for my choice and feel sometimes certain instances require bottle raising.

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
I will have to make a choice of how I will raise my "kidds" once I start to breed my girls. And I would like as much info on each method .

·
Banned
636 Posts
Christy,

I am so sorry you feel that way and hope that I am not one who may have offended you. I dam raise, but I do know that there are times when I have pulled a kid and bottle fed them. I think there are pros and cons to both dam and bottle raising, but it is each person's individual choice. I respect that. Personally, I just don't have the time needed to bottle raise my babies.

Yes, I do feel like a baby is healthier if it get colostrum for the first 24hours of life but that can be accomplished by bottle feeding. I also feel a special bond is built between dam and kid when allowed to nurse. But I feel that way about human babies as well though. Bottle raising kids provides a bond between owner and kid and there is a closeness there that can't be obtained when dam raised. Like I said there are good and bad about both.

I don't judge or offer treatment advise based on whether the kid is bottle raised or dam raised. I don't think that matters. What's most important are the symptoms and what we can do to get the goat well. A lot of times those of us who dam raise have to or should pull the kid and bottle feed or tube feed when a kid is very ill or the dam is ill or can't or won't nurse. But each situation is different and each illness is different - the treatment isn't effected by how the kid is being nursed but by what would be best to do for that goat at that specific time.

I hope you decide to stay on here because I believe you could help others who do bottle raise their kids. You offer great insight and experience for those who need help with bottle raising and everything else.

·
Banned
636 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Same goes with talks about CL and such, people go nutty over that, sometimes overboard. But those same people, can have a Johnes positive goat show up, get rid of it, and less then a year later start selling kids again with no mention of the Johnes..........anyway, that's another topic lol.

I have to pull & bottle raise some kids this year, and I had asked about colostrum replacement powders - and even though I asked not to be told to heat treat the dam's colostrum (I can't do it here), it was jammed at me anyway! Only one person actually replied to my question :( , I was really surprised!

Overall though, I love this site, there are a lot of great members!!! We have to just try and not let these things bother us. When I'm not comfortable posting on the board, I send a PM.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Ok girlie-you aint going anywhere!!!!!!
I have dam raised-and do-and bottle raised when necessary-neither way is better than than the other IMHO :D Some people do it for health reasons-some people dam raise for time restrictions ie WORK! bluck I would bottle raise if I didnt work just cause its fun!
You do it your way sis!
Think of what you'll miss if you leave...
<hugs>!!

·
Registered
387 Posts
How about looking at my site and telling me if I got it right? I don't bottle feed but thought it was important to include the info for those that do.
http://www.elwoodranch.com/goats/goat-care/bottle-babies/
I like the info you have here - however, I don't like the DO NOT FEED MILK REPLACERS/FORMULA - Milk Replacers Kill your Kids! part. Although its not ideal to use replacers, sometimes, we just don't have a choice, and we shouldn't be made to stress over it! The truth is, improperly used milk replacer kills kids, ie/too watered down, not enough water, not warm enough, too hot, etc. When used properly, I have had no problems raising kids on replacers. I have a single function pasteurizer now though, so I can use pasteurized goat milk instead (pasteurized for CAE prevention). But its only because I got it for $80 - otherwise, I would still be using the replacer when needed.

People need to stop putting these fears into others about certain things - like the disbudding paste for another example. I thought for sure if I used it, it was going to burn my goats eyes, blind them, burn huge holes in their heads.......I finally got the guts to try it, and it was NOTHING like I was told about! Now, that's all I use is the paste, and I shouldn't be made to feel bad about it either......nor should anyone else. We all have to do what works for US!

·
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I value everyones opinion on dam raising and i'm even considering it myself but I just feel that sometimes dam raising is pushed when sometimes pulling and bottle raising a certain kid is needed. THanks you guys for saying your kind words. I do love this place but would just like to be able to proudly say hey i bottle raise for as long as i am and be able to encourage someone to pull a kid and bottle raising it if I think their situation requires it. Thank you all for being kind and not getting upset at me.

·
558 Posts
There is such controversy over bottle raising or dam raising that people are losing goats because bottle raising on the forum is looked down upon so much.
I bottle raise and would just like a little respect for my choice and feel sometimes certain instances require bottle raising.
I agree. At first I was just a lurker on this forum because I was afraid I would be looked down on for getting bottle babies. I was taken by surprise to find out on another post that there ARE some on here that do raise bottle babies and so I finally joined after 5 months of just viewing.

I for one say PLEASE stay and help those who are bottle raising. I know I for one am soooo nervous about doing something wrong that I know I will be needing LOTS of advice!! Please, please stay!!

·
Registered
635 Posts
I have also sucessfully raised kids on powdered milk replacer and cow milk from the store with added baby vitamins and molasses-that was what we did way back- everyone can does something different and have the same results!!!
Hip Hip Horray for being able to voice an opinion!!!!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm sorry you feel judged :( I dam raise mine but I don't have any issue with people bottle raising. In some ways it's good and a lot of people do it as part of a CAE prevention program. I think you should stay on too so that you can help offer information to those that choose to bottle feed. :hugs:

·
Registered
311 Posts
I don't disagree with any form of feeding, bottle or dam, although I am somewhat new to the goat world and have not had kids born at my farm yet. I have bottlefed a baby, but he was an orphan rescue, so he had to be fed somehow. The day will come where my girls will be bred and when that day comes I will probably let the kids be dam raised. BUT, there may be instances where a kid will need to be bottle fed due to weakness and/or illness, or when the mama happends to die. On the other hand, I really don't see a problem with being bottle fed from the beginning even if there is no illness/weakness or orphaning, after all, they are being fed cared for, and that's what they need, right? :)

·
I'm not addicted - I'm in love!
5,018 Posts
I am very sorry this happened...I didn't see that thread, but I would definitely have supported bottle supplementing or raising in that case! I will be sure to make that clear whenever I discuss it, if there's any doubt.
I am strongly against taking kids away from their dams, except in the case of confirmed CAE. However, I am very much in favor of supplementing a kid that is not getting enough. I had to heavily supplement a kid this spring, and I loved it. So it is not bottle raising I am against, just separating doe and kids if there's not a very good reason. But I still like you bottle raisers - it's not a big enough deal to get mad about! And I hope I haven't made anyone mad (I try not to).

·
14,725 Posts
Awww JaLyn you can't go anywhere! So sorry this has happened.
I definitely don't judge anyone for their choices to bottlefeed, I always figure they have their reasons.
When people have issues with a doe and need to try and get her to take a kid, then that's when I chime in and say be consistent. Obviously if they want mom to nurse that baby, then they are wanting a dam raised kid.
If a doe doesn't have enough milk for a kid, then anyone that says leave that kid on that doe is IMO wrong. Leave the kid with mom and let it nurse and try to build up the milk supply, but common sense in anyone that's been around these critters and knows anything about babies would know you should be supplementing it.
That's something a newbie wouldn't know, or someone who isn't very experienced with birthing/raising babies, or hasn't had the issue come up before.

We all have our opinions on how things should be done. We should all just work harder to respect each others opinions and beliefs :)

BTW, I also don't think I saw the topic where someone lost a baby because of it, so sad this happened :(

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
JaLyn I hope you don't leave. I guess I never read the comments maybe completely enough to notice. I know there are some long time members, especially in the dairy goats that routinely pull babies. As of yet I haven't, but I didn't have to. I would have no problem pulling a baby if I needed to. Being a parent I guess I equate if to babies breast fed vs bottle. But there are times (like when I had twins) there was no way I could get the breast fed done.
I think the importance of colostrum should be more of the point be it from the mom, milked from mom and fed with a bottle, or a colostrum replacer fed in a bottle. I think people need to remember we all have opinions and different experience, which yes makes it hard for a newbie; but, they can read the different reasons for something and make their choice. I know there have been things I thought, hmm not for me but I just move on to what may work for me.
I hope you don't leave. :hug:

1 - 20 of 110 Posts