The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to rescue a goat.

Last week as I was coming home I happened to glance to my left and saw a goat standing on the side of the road. I turned around and went over to see if I could approach him. Turns out he was a friendly Nubian (I think) buck with no tattoos, ear tags or brands. He was also in an area with no goats (mostly tourist resorts, no petting zoos or places to keep goats). I called animal control when I got home with him and a sheriff came and took a report. An hour later a contract cowboy came out and took him to, I think, animal control. If no one claims him in two weeks he will go to auction. I want to try and get him before someone puts him in a tortilla.:(

If I do get him, he be wetherd and become part of the herd.

If his owner claims him, I'm going to start searching for a another Nubian. I'm addicted to them now. :eek:hlala:

·
558 Posts
Hopefully they will give you a chance to own him first since you are the one that found him!! Good luck!

·
Premium Member
15,546 Posts
Poor guy. I would just be worried about diseases. Just be prepared that he could be CAE, CL, or Johne's+. If you're sure you want him though, I would recommend at least that you quarantine him and test prior to putting him with your other goats.

·
Super Moderator
83,785 Posts
Auction goats may be someone else's problem. So as mentioned, be prepared, if you are going to get an animal there. With some diseases, if it gets in the ground, contamination is hard to get rid of. Keep that in mind, if you have or want other goats down the road. You wouldn't want to subject them to the bad's. :(

·
1,524 Posts
If you really want him, call animal control and offer him meat price IF you get him before he goes to the auction. That would at least keep all those diseases from jumping on board. He may have some issues, but since he is sort of in quarantine right now, you should see some of the more visible illnesses by the time he is released. You can test for CAE and keep him quarantined at your place to see if he might have an CL issues. Did you see any sign of scars on him when he were handling him?

·
Super Moderator
59,313 Posts
I don't see why you can't just get him from animal control. Let them know now that you want him. I bet they would be thrilled if they already had a home for him.

For me, goats are much cheaper to keep than my dogs. Just in annual shots and heartworm, flea, tick pills runs me over $1000 per year and we haven't even included food and my one dog's pain meds and supplements. So go for the pet goat!

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Poor guy. I would just be worried about diseases. Just be prepared that he could be CAE, CL, or Johne's+. If you're sure you want him though, I would recommend at least that you quarantine him and test prior to putting him with your other goats.
Auction goats may be someone else's problem. So as mentioned, be prepared, if you are going to get an animal there. With some diseases, if it gets in the ground, contamination is hard to get rid of. Keep that in mind, if you have or want other goats down the road. You wouldn't want to subject them to the bad's. :blue:
Just to clarify, it isn't one of those auctions with hundreds of goats. This is just "impounded livestock" and FFA/4-H sales, they also do extensive health checks and have an onsite vet.

He will be quarantined anyway. I was planning on taking him to the vet already (shots and castration).

If you really want him, call animal control and offer him meat price IF you get him before he goes to the auction. That would at least keep all those diseases from jumping on board. He may have some issues, but since he is sort of in quarantine right now, you should see some of the more visible illnesses by the time he is released. You can test for CAE and keep him quarantined at your place to see if he might have an CL issues. Did you see any sign of scars on him when he were handling him?
We asked them if we could just buy him outright after the holding time is up, they said it was not allowed. The cowboy told me that I have a good chance of getting him since he does not have a pedigree and he is not a "popular" meat breed. He said single goats usually start at $45 and rarely go over $100.
I saw no scars at all. The only marks where some tiny notches on his "Flying Nun's " ears. No lesions, bumps, discharge or anything else. He peed and pooped normal and was alert and loving (rested his head on my should). When I got out of my car and started walking towards him, he screamed and ran to me. He had been watching the cars go buy, almost like he was waiting for something.

nd not to be a stick in the mud, but taking in a mouth to feed with no real ability for it to give back, can drain the wallet :blue:

But if that does not concern you~ Go for it! I love nubians too :)
The "feeding" part will actually be part of his job. My herd are helping my dad keep the grass down.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts