I know that this is going to sound dumb ......

Discussion in 'Mini Mania' started by kelebek, Jan 30, 2008.

1. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    But how long after giving birth can a doe go into heat again??

Is it anything like humans that when they are nursing it is harder for them to get pregnant again??

I just want to make sure that I have the right information.

Also - how long should a person wait to rebreed a doe that gave birth. I am looking at selling this doe after she weens and want to make sure I give correct information for the health of her.

Thanks
    Allison

2. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    Is this a pygmy or nigi.The reason I ask is because it's a nigi and you milk her you need to dry her out.If it's a pygmy she will also need to dry out but she will do it on her own after the kid(s) is/are weaned.I usually wait at least 6 months. *Sara*

3. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    Oh and thats not a dumb ?!

4. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    she is a pure Nigi. Her baby is only 1 1/2 weeks old now, but she soooo wants to go back out with the herd - - - - but darling hubby did not make my "buck" barn before the HUGE snow storm last weekend - and we now have over 3 feet of snow everywhere. I have no other way of seperating them - accept leaving her in the kidding stall - or like i have been - letting her out with the herd when I am watching her like a hawk!

I am SOOOO terribly mad at my husband right now I can not see straight and thought about bringing all the girls or both bucks in the house to prove a point - LOL!

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    they usually go back into heat one week after kidding.

Best to give them a 6 month break before reintroducing them to the buck. This gives her time to nurse her kid and then build back up if she needs to.

6. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Allison, from experience only here, my girls pygmy/nigi's don't usually come into heat til they are 6-8 weeks past birth. Since I've only had Binky since April 07, She had her first heat with me in August and my boys are within sight and smell. I do milk my minis after the kids are weaned so maybe that has something to do with it. I also dry them off in the month that they breed again so they have a month to dry out and 4 to rebuild. so to speak.

7. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    thanks for the info - I was told by someone 4 weeks post kidding - but I wanted to double check

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    the heat after kidding isn't always detectable as such but you will see the doe with bloody discharge - so in some sense it is like a clean out heat. Now each doe will be different, though this tends to be the norm.

you are past this now - but I wanted to clarify my statment made above.

As to breeding and nursing - nope it doesn't hinder her ability to become pregnant again.

9. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Some does but not all will come into whats called a kidding heat. Most animals do it. Its usuallyone to four weeks after the actual kidding. Sometimes its a silent heat and sometimes its not.
    Nigerians (or so i have been told, i have alpines) have two breeding season. You can bring them for spring kids or winter kids. I know a lot of people that breed them for november/december kids. I have friends that do it so their buck kids are ready to be used the next fall, as they tend to mature a little slower then the other dairy breeds.
    Someone who breeds nigies might be able to tell you more.
    beth