I made Cheese!

Discussion in 'Cookin' Corner' started by RunAround, May 8, 2008.

1. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Wahoo! :cool: :leap:

I just made vinegar cheese and I am so happy!

So, about the Whey left over, is there anything I can do with it? Should I just toss it. Can I feed some of it to my dogs?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh the whey makes this great bread --- I wish I had the recipe, I need to go look for it. It was a bagget bread OH so good!

Chelsey will probably say to give it to Star as she found it to be helpful as a natural antibiotic :D

3. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Ooo I would love the recipe if you can find it! I love bread!

My dog thinks I am making yogurt so she is laying right next to the stove waiting to get something good. lol

If its good for Star then I will save some and see if she likes it. She seems to be doing better today. I gave her some goats prefer power punch(nutri drench) and she seemed to like it better than nutri drench. I also gave her a little pro-bios.

4. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    a couple ccs of the whey could only help to. Or freez it for other emergencies.

I will go look for that receipe right now

5. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh bummers - it isnt where it use to be! So I asked my mom and she suggested one place, but still no luck :( it wasn't your normal book, it was like a pamphlet that came in a cheese making kit

6. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Oh well. Post if you find it. I am sure I will be making more since this was so easy. :)

7. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Hahaha Stacey =) Yes I would say you can give it to a goatie who doesn't feel good, it can't hurt!

8. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    We feed the whey to our dogs and chickens, and sometimes we give it to the goats.

9. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh yes the chickens --- my mom liked to give it to the chickens

Attached Files:

10. You can also your whey to cook your pasta in mmmmmmmmm its good :drool:

11. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Congrats!!! So when are you coming over to show me how?

12. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    lol Thats a bit of a drive. :wink:

Since then I have gotten some cheese cultures and have made Chevre! Very yummy. Could use some herbs though.

13. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    RunAround, try a bit of garlic powder and dried chives in your Chevre...AWESOME! And also try adding a bit of the yellow cheese powder from a box of Mac n Cheese, and with that a couple drops of liquid smoke and bacon bits...a delicious "Smoked Cheddar n Bacon" spread....I could go on forever with the combo's I've done! :wink:

14. PznIvyFarm

PznIvyFarm New Member

Jul 25, 2010
    Stacy, did you ever find the bread recipe?

I just started collecting the milk Friday night. I had 3 collections that i put together, and tasted it last night and it was fine. I put this mornings' collection in, and went to drink some and it tasted a bit 'off' - not terrible, but too sourish to drink So i thought i'd make some cheese instead, went looking for recipes, and found this post.

I guess the lesson learned is don't combine milk collections - it's hard though b/c I'm getting so little right now.

15. kannm

kannm New Member

Mar 18, 2009
    So jealous. I want to make cheese!! We used to give the chickens the milk that was a little 'goaty' due to not getting it cold enough.

16. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    no I never did find it sorry

17. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

Is this milk from the doe that lost her baby a week ago? I don't use the milk of newly fresh does for personal use the first 2 weeks....this allows for any remaining colostrum to be out of it and the more they make due to you taking the purer the milk.

18. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    sorry I didnt read the rest of what you wrote -- yah the milk doesnt taste good in the first two weeks. I dont know how good it will be for cheese making though :shrug:

19. kannm

kannm New Member

Mar 18, 2009
    Ok, went searching for a recipe for bread that uses whey and found this advice in more than one spot. You can substitute the whey for the water in any bread recipe. Also, people use the whey to make ricotta and will freeze the whey until they have enough. There are also more cheeses made from whey.

Edit to add: Here is one of those cheeses
    http://cheesemongerswife.wordpress.com/ ... u-hate-it/

20. PznIvyFarm

PznIvyFarm New Member

Jul 25, 2010

great, now i find out. Well too bad, i started making cheese, so people can darn well eat it and they better like it! I am exhausted, tired of milking for no reason, and extremely cranky right now. :wink: I thought someone said i had to discard the milk b/c of the penicillin, so i did that, and then I started collecting it 48 hours after the last dose, and it did taste okay last night. I drank some this morning and although it didn't taste as good, i'm not dead/sick yet.