I might be getting another kid (SHE'S GONE)

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by lacy_94, Dec 9, 2008.

1. lacy_94

lacy_94 New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    North Fla
    Well My mom just called from work and say"do you by chance want a baby goat" PAUSE... "sure"

dont worry I have raised 4 babies in the past so I know how to care for them. I will get pics as soon as he gets here.I will probably keep him/her in my room for a few days, He is a day old and his mother passed away. :/

wish me luck ! :fl

2. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Re: Well looks like I might be getting another kid !

Poor baby...how lucky he has found a "Guardian Angel". Good luck!

3. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon

That is really great you can take him in. :)

4. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois

Can't wait to see pics, bottle babies are always fun :)

5. lacy_94

lacy_94 New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    North Fla

OK its a girl !
    but she is very weak. Turns out she was born today and found in a field with her deceased twin. The mother wanted nothing to do with her. So I hope she got some colstrum. She is breathing kinda wierd.
    Ok I havent had on this young, but she did drink some milk from the bottle. but mom brought home a feeding tube just in case.
    how many times a day does she need to be fed and how much. how many hours apart.
    [​IMG]

6. lacy_94

lacy_94 New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    North Fla

OK its a girl !
    but she is very weak. Turns out she was born today and found in a field with her deceased twin. The mother wanted nothing to do with her. So I hope she got some colstrum. She is breathing kinda wierd.
    Ok I havent had on this young, but she did drink some milk from the bottle. but mom brought home a feeding tube just in case.
    how many times a day does she need to be fed and how much. how many hours apart.
    [​IMG]

7. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca

i fed my weak kids 2 ounces every two hours.. but they were nigerians.. :shrug:

8. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA

For the first 3 days I feed every 2 hours. Especially since this little one is a bit weak I would make sure to keep a close eye on her and make sure she gets as much as possible. She sure is cute. Hope she does well, she sure had a rough start.

9. lacy_94

lacy_94 New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    North Fla

Yea we just got her to drink alittle milk but then she basically fell asleep. mom is going to set her alarm clock every four hours. so we can get up and feed. her :pray:

10. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

She is adorable... :love:
    Try to get colostrum right away... :worried: ..if you can get it from her mother ...do it tonight...
    time is running out....
    .if the mom didn't want anything to do with her..... I doubt that she received any colostrum ...I hate to say this but ...she will die.....within 2 weeks... if she has not drank any colostrum at all........even if you have to get it by other means.....please do....If you can get a bottle full of colostrum that would help her alot........ good luck..... :pray:

give her some nutra drench...

can she stand at all?

baby recipe
    1 gallon Whole Milk
    1 can Evaporated Milk
    1 cup Cultured Buttermilk
    Goat Nutri-Drench
    Pour 4 cups of the whole milk into a container. Add the evaporated milk and butter milk. Add back as much of the whole milk (roughly 1 cup) to refill the gallon milk container. Add 1/2 teaspoon of Goat Nutri-Drench to the first bottle of the day.

Day one- 2-4oz. (per feeding) colostrum, every 2-3 hours.

Day two- 3-4 oz. (per feeding) whole milk, 6 times a day

Day three- 4-5 oz. (per feeding) whole milk, 6 times a day

Day four- 6oz. (per feeding) whole milk, 5-6 times a day.

For the next week- 6-8oz. (per feeding) whole milk,5 times a day.

For the next 2 months- 10-12 oz. (per feeding)whole milk, 4-5 times a day.

For the next 1 month- 10-12 oz. (per feeding)whole milk, 3 times a day.

10-12 oz. (per feeding) once a day for the next 2-3 months.

feel the baby's tummy while you feed.... when it feels full ...but not tight... stop- figure out how much milk she drank and go from there. baby's will drink until they pop , over feeding can lead to the death of a baby goat. regular whole cows milk is better than replacer... as it can cause serious digestive upset. (Goat Milk is ideal but most people raising baby goats do not have access to extra so cows milk is a good replacement )

11. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

Wow, she is new! And lucky to have you, I hope she thrives.

12. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

she wont die if she doesnt get the colostrum but she can be more succeptable to getting sick so keep her dry and warm for the first few weeks of her life so she doesnt catch a cold.

Kids without colostrum in the first 12 hours will not benifit from colostrum later then that. So just do your best with her.

If you have to tube feed I can help you with that. Pm me and I will give you my phone number and i can talk you through it. It really helps to purk them up and be ready to take the bottle.

if you can get some selenium for her either in a BoSe shot or a gel that would be really awesome.

Some nutri drench really seemed to help my weak kids. My mom even says "oh dont forget the vitamine stuff you have it really seems to work" :thumb:

I hope she made it through the night for yah

13. lacy_94

lacy_94 New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    North Fla

My mom took her to work (vet tech) and another lady is going to show her how to succesfully tube feed her.
    She was born sometime yesterday and I doubt she got any milk from the mom. Can I get powderd colostrum for her just to boost her up. and Im going to try to get to tcs and get some nutria drench. does tractor supply co (tsc) have any colestrum. I MIGHT be able to get in touch with a fellow goat lady that live close, and see if she has any new nannies milk. :shrug:

the baby was really weak this morning but we did manage to get her to drink alittle milk, but she wont make it on the amout. grrrr I really hate to lose her. Hopefully the livestock vet has checked her over by now. mom was going to suggest to them to give her sub Q fluids. Because we think she is dehyrated. We did pick up a bottle,nipple,and purina goat milk replacement.

But its one of the hard lamb black nipples and I think its to hard for her. I cut a bigger x in it but im going to have mom pick up a regular human baby bottle and let see what she does. Ill keep yall updated and thanks for the help ! :pray:

14. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

yah those black nipples are rather hard. I would most certaily try a baby bottle.

she is out of the 12 hour range for colostrum to be effective, it wont hurt her but her body cant obsorb it anymore.

SQ fluids would be very helpful for her I am sure.

keep us posted :pray:

15. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

I'm glad she's still with you! TSC does carry colostrum poder as well as the clear soft nipple for over pop bottles...these are a good deal softer for her to latch on with...but as Stacey said, she is already beyond 12 hours old..the colostrum really has no benefit to her beyond 24 hours...try the clearish looking nipples from TSC...they are similar in size to the black ones.

16. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.

What a doll she is. Congratulations.

I am glad she is going to the Vet with mom but like the others have said the Colostrum is SO important that they get some, but if she is over 24 hours it will not do a lot of good now.

When we had to bottle feed my Hope, I bought ever type of nipple I could find and the only nipple she would use was a human baby bottle. She would not touch any other ones.

Good luck and I am keeping my fingers crossed for you and her. :pray:

17. lacy_94

lacy_94 New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    North Fla

Well I just got the call... That baby passed away about 10:00 am
    The vet said it was beacause she didn't recieve the first coloestrum.
    Well atleast she died knowing that someone cared for her and kept her warm in her final hour's :hit

18. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    :hug: I am so sorry. You tried your best.

And yes you are correct. She new she was loved.

19. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I am so sorry that you lost her - :hug:

20. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh so sad! sometimes trying our best isnt enough. RIP

:tears: