I milked a goat!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Perfect7, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    I was trying to get some colostrum from our doe that just kidded, for emergency uses with another baby if necessary. Getting it within the first twenty-four hours didn't go so well (her kicking and circling and me sweating). But this evening I decided it was going to be a rodeo, caught up a hind leg, bent over and collected some milk! I'm hoping second day colostrum is as good as first day, because it's all I have, but I'm so proud of myself for milking her! It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be to do so, having never milked an animal before.
    She also filled up with a huge udder today after kidding yesterday (boer) and she will have milk to spare for her single baby. So...now I'm thinking I MAY actually be able to have a little goat milk! She's a bit, uh, fluffy, so I don't think it would drain her to do so. This is neat! :cool: :shades:
    Guess I may need to go get some milking supplies (jars, filters, ice packs). Sorry for my rookie enthusiasm. :oops:

2. Realfoodmama

Realfoodmama New Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Santa Fe, NM
    Woohoo!

:leap: :clap: :leap:

3. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Aww that's exactly how I would be after milking my first goat! I've never milked beyond clearing out the plug after kidding! LOL CONGRATS!!!!!

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    :dance: :wahoo: :thumb: :greengrin: :hi5:

5. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    :thumb: Way to go! That stuff is pure gold & just as precious to buy a life with.
    Are you going to continue to get some from her? This yr I have bottle babies & only about 4 qts frozen milk & no colostrum. Fortunately a friend gave me some, but it was nothing like the wonderful thick stuff from Boers.

And congrats on kidding & milking! :clap:

6. maple hill farm tina

maple hill farm tina Senior Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Rich Patch, Virginia
    Yea! Congratulations!!
    :clap:

-Tina

7. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    Yes, I plan to get some more after I see baby eat good for the night. I've filled only half an ice tray so far and would like as much as I can. I may hold the baby back there with me so we don't have to rodeo. :wink:
    Whether or not I continue milking some for the family from her depends on how hard she makes me keep working for it, but would like to have at least a one day supply for a new baby on hand. Isn't 48 hours the cut-off for colostrum? Maybe 3 days?

8. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    24 hours is the cutoff for beneficial antibodies in the colostrum, there still may be traces of it once the milk comes in though for another 5 days.
    Wonderful that you were able to get what you did, even a small amount can benefit a weak newborn.

9. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    I now have a full ice tray, but we passed 24 hours this morning around 10 AM. I wish I would have tried harder yesterday but didn't want to stress the mother fighting with her on her delivery day. :( Once frozen I will put it in ziploc baggies labeled "2nd day colostrum". Maybe in the spring I can get some 1st day from someone more willing to share. :p Baby helped me out this second milking, though. She began to cry and mama let down in a hurry! It was a neat experience to milk a goat, though I felt a bit like a thief taking the baby's milk. :laugh: I appreciate all of the advice on how to collect and store it! It may just help a baby in the future.

10. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I'm glad you gave it a go and got some to put up! BTW, now that you know how to do it, the next doe you have kid, you'll know what to do, and you can collect it sooner, etc.
    I plan on collecting milk from our girls if I can once they kid. I'll also do the ice tray/ziploc bags.