I need advice on nigerian kid w/diarrhea!!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Iwantgoats, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Iwantgoats

Iwantgoats New Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Missouri
    I have two nigerian bottle babies. Both are 2 weeks old. I was feeding them goats milk and started mixing it with replacer (Manna Pro) half way through the week as I ran out of goats milk. One started having diarrhea today and the other is fine. I stopped the replacer and starting giving him a water, honey, baking soda, salt supplement, as read on the internet. He is sucking, playing, acting fine but maybe alittle more tired than the other. What exactly should their feed schedule be? Maybe I'm feeding to much replacer :shrug: I don't know what else to say or ask, lol. If you have better home remedies I'd love to hear them. Thank You

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I would give him a little pepto (2ccs) and then start him back on the replacer. Try mixing it a little differently to see if he needs it thinner or thicker.

I would have them checked out for cocci - yes they are young but they can have cocci at that young age.

3. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    If they never do very well on the replacer, even with thinning it out or thickening it up (as Stacey mentioned) I would switch to whole cow's milk from the grocery store. Our kids thrive on that when they never felt good on the replacer. I also mix some condensed milk, half and half, or whipping cream to thicken it up.

4. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    I just used whole milk from the store. I put a little Karo syrup in it, at first I got a can of goat milk and mixed that up in it...but read someone said not to use that so I just went to the whole milk. Good luck with your kid.

5. Iwantgoats

Iwantgoats New Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Missouri
    Should I be feeding 3 or 4x a day? Dairy Goat Jornal says 10-12oz 4x a day from day 5-7 and then 3x a day for the next month. If I follow this regime can I give water inbetween feedings? They act like their starving, I know their suppose to act like that but the crying is what bother me, I feel bad making them wait for their bottle.

6. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    At their age, I feed bottle 4 times a day. A lot people do it very differently. Dairy Goat Journal was probably referring to large dairy goats because Nigerians couldn't drink all that at once, that young anyways. I would go down to 3x a day in about another week or so.