I need everyone's advice - concerning my goats

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Rachel K, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Rachel K

Rachel K New Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Dyersville, Iowa
    My parents bought their first house this year. It's located in Manchester, right smack in town. They plan on making the move by April 15th. They told me that I am more then welcomed to move with them, but I would rather not for a few different reasons. Unless I am able to find a small country house to rent (unlikely) then I will have to rent a apartment or a house located in town. Then the problem arises that I have been fearing ... what am I going to do with my two goats? I would hate to have to sell them or to give them away ... I have owned them for nearly four years now. They mean the world to me. I have considered the idea of boarding them somewhere but I would be unable to actually care for them myself each day. Nor would I be able to afford a large boarding fee.

Just recently I considered asking Ruth, the women that I bought Kit and Trixie from, if she herself would be willing to board them. She absolutely adores goats and owns a rather large herd of Saanens. She had told me on several seperate occasions that if I were ever considering selling my goats that she would purchase the doe. She said that Trixie's dam had been her best milk producer, and that she would love to own a daughter to that dam. While I hope to not have to sell my goats I was wondering if Ruth would perhaps accept both Kit and Trixie as boarders if I allowed her to breed Trixie and keep both the kids and milk as payment, as well as a small monthly money payment besides to cover feed, etc. She would be able to provide all of the daily care, and I would be able to stop out once or twice a week to visit with them. The only thing that I am hesitating at is the fact that I sometimes got the feeling that her goats weren't all that well cared for ... they seemed a little dirty and skinny in my opinion ...

Yet this seems like my only opinion if I wish to keep Trixie and Kit ...

What do you guys think?

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Oh WOW, Rachel. That is going to be a tough choice. I would say to give it to the Lord and let him help you.

I know from experience, that if someone "boards" their goats at your place, really it is not the same. The girls that was boarded hers at my place, well lets just say she sort of forgot about them. Now she really didn't forget but she was so busy with other things, that she just could not get the time to come see them or help take care of pens, feeding or anything. I finally told her that I was going to find a new home for them. They were going to go to a 4H family. She was sad, but she new that was best for them. Lets face it when I have my own goats that need the hoofs trimmed, shots, and just personal love, I really didn't have the time or energy to give it to more of the goats, that were not mine. I never ever mistreated them or anything, I just didn't take the time for the one on one that they really needed. They did go to a wonderful family, and she can go see them anytime that she would like. Matter of fact today I received a email from her asking how they were doing.

You really have to think long and hard to see what to do.

Attached Files:

3. Duchesse

Duchesse New Member

Oct 31, 2007
    That's a hard one.:shrug:

If you had pygmies you could possibly keep them in town if you had a house with a private backyard.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    First off you need to ask her - but before that I would check out her place. You never know, things maybe better for her now and her goats maybe in much better shape.

It is like you are stuck between a rock and a hard place and I feel for you. :(

5. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    The first thing is that I would start my search for a country home now- sometimes things work out perfectly but only if you put yourself in the position to take advantage of this. There are surprising situations out there if you are flexible and resourceful. Call some real estate or rental agencies- contact local church groups- anywhere where you can get a good refernce. Maybe find a share situation if you can adapt to that- with caution this could be a great time for you.
    This is if you really have the time and energy for your goats- if you are planning on being away at college or something and won't be able to care for them anyway, then I'd start putting the word out about new homes for them.
    I always find it heartbreaking to pass an animal on which is why it has happens so rarely for me. But not procrastinating may be a life saver for your animals.
    Being a little dirty is not something I would wrry about unless you are talking actual neglect. She might be OK with this but you would also need to be flexible as her kind of care may not be the same as yours would be.
    Scary but all changes are scary to me- I've never been adventurous and prefer things to keep on the same (if I like it anyway.) But even in the worst situation where I had an unsound huge gelding with special feed requirements and real issues of safety to people if he was in with a mare, it worked out after some ups and downs. You would have thought it was impossible. But he found his place.

6. Rachel K

Rachel K New Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Dyersville, Iowa
    Believe me, I really am trying to keep a open mind and do what I really believe is for their own best interest. It's hard, but I'm trying to not be selfish when it comes down to my final decision.

This recent idea of boarding them at Ruth's seems, in my opinion, the only way that I can keep them and in the process actually feel like I am not neglecting them in the mean time. Ruth and her family all adore animals. I'm quite sure that Trixie and Kit would be safe at her place and well cared for as well (still a little nervous that she skimps on the feed however by her goats appearances ... or that they are worm infested. But they are dairy goats in milk production so maybe the weight issue is due to that fact ... after all Trixie and Kit were both in healthy shape when I bought them from her). I realize that Trixie and Kit wouldn't receive the attention that they are currently receiving, but I'm pretty sure that the interaction that they do recieve in between my visits would keep them satisfied. They would after all become a part of a bigger herd (although some goats don't see that as a good thing ... ). I should easily be able to visit with them at least twice a week and give them both some one on one time. I would also be able to give them all of the personal care that they would require, such as, hoof trimming, worming, etc.

Stacey - I will talk to Ruth as soon as I can figure out what my plans for the future are going to be (such as if I will even be moving to a apartment or to a house in town). I don't want to put it off for too long, because I do want to have everything planned out well ahead of time.

enjoytheride - I will take your advice and start looking for small country homes to rent in the time that I do have. It breaks my heart to even consider the possibility of moving away from the country, but in the short time that I have a country house may not be so easy to locate. I was actually considering the possibility of renting our current house, but I fear that it's not actually a option due to both the size of the house (four bedroom), and the bills. The heat bill alone would kill me. I need to find something smaller. Another thing that is required is that I need to find a house (or apartment) that accepts pets. I own three cats. So far most if not all of the houses and apartments that I have seen advertised for rent have a no pets policy ... *sigh* Sometimes you can sneak a cat into a home (I know, I know, it's wrong :oops: ) but you can't very well sneak in three ... and I may as well kiss my dream of a dog goodbye. Not my top priority at the time, but everyone has their dreams.

And no, I don't have any plans for college. Basically the only thing currently in my life that is time consuming is my job.

Now if only my older brother were to find that dream home of his then I could take over the lease for his house and move right in (his idea first). He just got approved by the bank for a house loan and has been looking around but hasn't currently found anything that he could imagine himself buying. He currently lives in a small two bedroom house in Manchester (only two blocks from my sister's house, and a block from my parents house). His landlord had previously rented it out to a women who had two indoor dogs, and she had approved a outside dog when he had asked (he had asked about a outdoor dog, so she may of actually of allowed a indoor one), so she may also allow me to have my cats indoors if I were to rent the place. It's a really nice place too. I could imagine myself living there. Plus its near to the park which has hiking trails. If I had a dog it would make for a excellent walking trail ... thinking too far ahead perhaps. If he doesn't find something soon however I am going to be forced to look elsewhere. I could handle living in town for a few years as long as I had a goal of buying a small place out in the country as soon as I was able.

7. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Are there any friends (people you REALLY know) who could share your parent's old house? Maybe a temporary arrangement to carry you til your brother finds his place?
    Actually thinking ahead is a great thing as long as you don't commit yourself to the plan so much you miss current opportunities. That gives you the opportunity to think about what you want so that you can make a good choice if the opportunity comes suddenly. Also gives you a chance to not jump too impulsively on something because you have also thought about it ahead of time.
    From what you say, it seems like your girls (Kit's a girl?) will be OK- it just would be a shame to have to part with them unless you are ready to try something else.

I hope those magic coinsidences line up for you- sounds like it could. Getting ready for a big change no matter what.

8. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    PS I'd always ask about cats even if it says no pets- sometimes a little extra rent or being willing to accept a shabbier carpet will make it possible to have your cats. Sometime negotiation is possible.

9. Tog Lovers

Tog Lovers New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Greensburg, PA
    I would try to find someone to share the place you are in now. You could place a few ads and see what happens. One option might be to let the local womens shelters know you are looking. I was a single mom for years and would have loved to have found someone to share a place with. Another option could be to see if anyone is willing to rent you some land for pasture that you could put a small structure on. There are alot of people around our area that do this.