I need help!!!!!!’

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by breannaballew, Dec 15, 2017.

1. breannaballew

breannaballew New Member

Dec 15, 2017
    Arkansas
    I’m new to having a goat. Recently I was given a beautiful Nigerian dwarf male. This week I found out he has Urinary Calculi. I took him to the vet immediately (the only one in our area that sees them) and he drained his bladder and snipped off the tip of his manhood. He also gave him an anti inflammatory shot. Yesterday we went back were he did an ultrasound and drained his bladder again, another anti inflammatory shot, and he filled his bladder partially with vinager by injection to break down stones. None of our local vets have ammonium chloride and neither did he. I had to order it online and it should be shipped in today and I’m needing help with the dosage. He was born August 9th and weighs 13lbs! He has had a bit of urine leak today and it’s finally not bloody, as it was when he first started dripping, but still no steady stream. I am giving him aspirin to help with pain as I found dosing instructions through the vet, but I need to get the ammonium going to get him flushed. The vet said if he doesn’t start peeing completely normal he will have to be put down bc there’s nothing else he can do. Please help me! We love him so much and we’re trying everything! I just want him back to his happy self, he just lays around and when he gets up to eat he keeps his back legs kind of still and stitches his tail from pain. The aspirin does help this!

2. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    US
    Glad you were able to diagnose and get him to the vet. UC is a fast killer if not caught in time. You are doing great :)

What exactly are you feeding him?

If he's your only goats I would recommend getting another. Goats get lonely and depressed when alone.

I'm not sure on the AC dose.

breannaballew and Kath G. like this.

3. Kath G.

Kath G. Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2017
    Wisconsin
    The only thing I might suggest is to see if the vet would give you banamine for the pain & inflamation, banamine is prescription but usually superior to aspirin. Unless there's a contraindication I'm not aware of?

Treatment dose of AC, courtesy of Colorado State University Extension:
    "Remove feed from the lambs or kids for 24 hours and apply oral doses of ammonium chloride (1 oz per .5 lbs of body wt) can acidify the urine and dissolve the crystals. The oral treatment should be continued for at least a week due to probability that there are multiple calculi in the bladder."
    extension.colostate.edu/docs/pubs/livestk/01629.pdf

In that article from Colorado State, they also have a handy table at the end that says how much AC to mix, with how much water, to give how many mL's to a goat by weight.

Suzanne's right, you ARE doing great! He's lucky to have you. Keep up the good work & hope & pray for the best!

mariarose and breannaballew like this.
  4. breannaballew

breannaballew New Member

Dec 15, 2017
    Arkansas
    He is eating grass hay and oak leaves that I picked from the yard bc they are his favorite. He hasn’t ate much today or yesterday and has pooped a few pellets. Yesterday he drank but today he hasn’t wanted too, but he has had a rough couple of days on top of the extensive vet things so I’ve let him rest. I have given him 20ml of Water today through a medicine dropper. He is leaking out pee though and it’s either a dark yellow or clear with no blood! He hasn’t did this on his own for three days. I’m assuming it’s bladder spasms bc it’s kind of leaking, but there quite a bit and when he does try he drops some out. I see that as progress. The vet said leakage is a good sign but I just want to see streams of gold, lol. The aspirin is the best I can do. I’ve paid quite a bit in the two days and vet visits back to back and I just can’t anymore. I hope that doesn’t sound awful. I just hope this medicine breaks it completely loose!

5. breannaballew

breannaballew New Member

Dec 15, 2017
    Arkansas
    This was this morning

Attached Files:

6. breannaballew

breannaballew New Member

Dec 15, 2017
    Arkansas
    This afternoon

Attached Files:

7. Kath G.

Jul 13, 2017
    Wisconsin
    I totally get that. Banamine isn't expensive though, usually a call to the treating vet (b/c they already saw you) is all that's necessary, I think I've paid around $3-4 for a shot of it. Or, do you have any goat friends in the area you could call to see if they have any?

Other things you could do: do you have any vitamin B complex? Or human vit B, thiamine particularly? It helps keep the rumen going strong through stress. Have any electrolyte solution? If not, there's tons of recipes on line for homemade recipes for it.

I think you're doing everything you can, and sounds like you're taking great care of him. Oak and maple leaves are fantastic. Keep up the good work!

8. breannaballew

breannaballew New Member

Dec 15, 2017
    Arkansas
    I have vitamin b12 and vitamin c that I take? And I can buy some gaterade or pedialite. Thank you for your input. I feel really awful bc I just bought him sweet feed without knowing. He is staying inside now and getting lots of extra love and he will be here till I know for sure he’s going to be okay.

Kath G. likes this.
  9. breannaballew

breannaballew New Member

Dec 15, 2017
    Arkansas
    One last thing...should I make him get out and walk or just let him rest? He’s still completely mobile he’s just laying a lot. But he does come to me to be petted or to eat a bit.

10. Suzanne_Tyler

Jul 19, 2014
    US
    I would probably walk him around. Exercise is always good.

breannaballew likes this.
  11. breannaballew

breannaballew New Member

Dec 15, 2017
    Arkansas
    Thank y’all so much! I’m scared to make him drink so much water tonight with the drench. I don’t want to hurt him worse.

12. Suzanne_Tyler

Jul 19, 2014
    US
    Extra water won't hurt.

13. breannaballew

breannaballew New Member

Dec 15, 2017
    Arkansas
    Mike Jones passed away tonight in my arms suddenly as I was holding him. It was the most awful thing I’ve ever experienced! I tried CPR to revive him, but nothing worked. My whole family is devistated. He was the best little guy.

Attached Files:

14. Suzanne_Tyler

Jul 19, 2014
    US
    I am so sorry you lost him :(

15. breannaballew

breannaballew New Member

Dec 15, 2017
    Arkansas
    Thank you. One second he was fine and then he just died. Literally, just like that. It was terrible.

16. Kath G.

Jul 13, 2017
    Wisconsin
    Breanna, I am so. very. sorry. ((hugs!)). The harder you and they team up and fight for their life, the harder it is when you lose that fight. I really think you did more for him than most people would have, and all that you could do, and I'm thankful that it was you he spent his life with.

17. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sorry you lost him.

18. breannaballew

breannaballew New Member

Dec 15, 2017
    Arkansas
    Thank you! It’s really difficult, but it’s a learning experience. Even if it’s an awful one, and when I get ready for another I know so much more. I never thought I’d be a goat person but he changed that.

mariarose likes this.
  19. mariarose

mariarose Well-Known Member

Hugs. I'm so sorry. You tried so hard.

20. goat girls

goat girls Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2017
    New mexcico
    I am so so sorry about your little guy. he could have been twins with my Nigerian doeling Raven. DSC03640.JPG