The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have got to stop feeding our goats feed with GMO products in it. I think I've seen that people feed a mix of things like, barley, oats, beet pulp, etc., and I was wondering what is the best mix of that sort to feed dairy goats, If you're not feeding regular grain from the feed store.
I don't trust any pre-mixed/bagged feed; the ingredients are too iffy IMO. I don't think we can afford organic, but would like to keep it as natural as possible, since we eat organic ourselves, and would rather not drink milk from goats being fed anything GMO or chemical-laced. And of course natural is better for the goats themselves, too. :)

We would still feed alfalfa, of course.
Oh, and I was wondering if there is ANY substitute for calf manna, as it is really helping my goats to grow and gain weight. I don't want to lose that, but I'm not sure of those ingredients either.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I know; we would of course choose each one carefully. The question is, which grains make the best feed?
For milk goats especially, but it would be nice if we had a mix that could be used for all of them, growing kids and dry does as well.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know about them actually, hehe. I would love to get their feed, but it's pretty pricey! I mean, I'm sure it's worth it, but doesn't it add up really fast? $38 a bag (50 lb) vs. $15 for what we're getting now is a big jump.:shocked:

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm sure I'm sounding like a doofus about this whole subject, :eek: but I guess what I'm trying to say is: would it be cheaper to buy a few separate grain/meals/whateveryoucallems and mix them up for a fairly good feed than to go organic at $38 a bag? 'Cause we really can't keep feeding the (IMO) junk that we have been feeding.
I hope I'm not sounding as dumb as I sound to myself. Lol, it's just a LOT more efficient for me to get you guys' opinion on this than for me to do hours of reseach online. :/

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Like, how much bulk? I think their minimum is like 5oo lbs, which would last us a month or something, I think. :shrug:

·
Super Moderator
58,933 Posts
You would have to ask your local feed mill what their minimum is. Around me you have to buy at least one ton if you have them mix something special for you.

You could also do a search for Goathiker's suggested mix. You would have to price out the different grains at your local feed store.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everybody! I will try to find out how much we would have to get from Coyote Creek at a time- if that doesn't work out, I will look into Goathiker's deal. :)

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just ordered 1000 lbs! I'm so excited, finally getting organic feed! :D :leap:
Should last us close to four months, hopefully! Maybe now we won't have to go to the feed store 3 times a week, lol.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I don't think we can afford organic, but would like to keep it as natural as possible, since we eat organic ourselves, and would rather not drink milk from goats being fed anything GMO or chemical-laced.

We would still feed alfalfa, of course.
Alfalfa hay is sprayed with chemical fertilizer, insecticides (as needed), and herbicides each and every year. The only way you are going to get what you are looking for is to grow it yourself where you can control how it is grown, or pay for organic grown. Even with organic grown, there are no guarantees it will meet your criteria. Just a little something to think about.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Goatcrazy-
Thanks, I know that; we can only do the best we can do. :shrug: But I will be looking into finding hay and alfalfa that isn't sprayed, and we would definitely try to grow what we can, it's just taking us a little longer than we would like to actually get to that. We already grow organic vegetables-we have a huge area to grow things in- it's just a matter of making the commitment, and having the right equipment for harvesting, etc.
We might even be able to grow our own hay - we have the land, it's just not easy or cheap to bale it every year.
One step at a time, that's how we roll. ;)

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Where/how do you store 1000# of feed? Ours gets moldy too fast here in the northeast.
Whoops, posted at the same time!
Umm, well we haven't quite decided yet, hehe. We are as of like, today in the process of building a "soap factory" as well as maybe a couple other projects like that, so I'm not sure yet where the grain is going to end up. We'll put it in the house if we have to, lol!
It's not as much as it sounds like; I think it'll only be 20 50lb bags, so not huge.

·
Look for me in the barn...
1,074 Posts
We store ours in an old chest freezer - it holds about 600 lbs.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Good idea! If only ours wasn't always filled with ice. :rolleyes: We use it for taking veggies to market, so we use a lot. :)

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Goatcrazy-
Thanks, I know that; we can only do the best we can do. :shrug: But I will be looking into finding hay and alfalfa that isn't sprayed, and we would definitely try to grow what we can, it's just taking us a little longer than we would like to actually get to that. We already grow organic vegetables-we have a huge area to grow things in- it's just a matter of making the commitment, and having the right equipment for harvesting, etc.
We might even be able to grow our own hay - we have the land, it's just not easy or cheap to bale it every year.
One step at a time, that's how we roll. ;)
Yeah, I figured you did but thought I would throw it out there just in case. Have you checked into something like Hay Grazer or Browse Master? I've read really good things about both and, by planting one or the other, you might be able to cut your hay needs to 6 months or less depending on where you are located. The cost to hire someone to either drill or no-till the seed would definitely be cheaper than buying the equipment to put up hay or hiring someone to custom hay. No, growing and putting up hay is not easy or cheap - tell me all about that! :laugh: The cost of equipment alone is mind-boggling these days, and that does not even take into consideration the cost of keeping it watered properly. :eek:

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I know, everything is so expensive these days!!
Before we farmed this property, it was used for hay-the grass is Jiggs, I'm pretty sure-a variety of coastal, so it's okay stuff for goat-browse. The problem is that it's hard to work around the garden(right splat in the middle of our field) to get the hay, and the barb wire going all the way around our place doesn't work for goats, obviously, and we can't afford to fence in the whole thing for goats. :/ S oit's tricky figuring out how to make it all work. :)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts