I Need Help Diagnosing

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by groovyoldlady, Jul 15, 2019.

1. groovyoldlady

groovyoldlady Goat Crazy!

Jul 21, 2011
    Central Maine
    Dang it! I thought I got rid of my stupid new goat problems when my daughter sold Ditza (aka "The Walking Goat Disaster"). But now, with show season upon us, Annika has a weird skin thing.

I thought she had a few bug bites she'd scratched open. I could feel the scabs on her belly. So I hit her with some BlueKote and figured all would be well. Then this morning I was giving her a chest scratch and a chunk of fur came off WITH THE SKIN! Suddenly I freaked. Some of you know I had a run-in with ringworm last year. AND staph.

Nooooooooooo!

So, here's the run down: We seem to have found the happy spot for feed and minerals - although we could use better hay. We're still feeding last year's subpar grass hay. No symptoms at all except she's itchy. The spring was super wet, so we've been working overtime keeping up hooves, but everyone's been fit and healthy until this. I thought maybe mites?????? Fungus? Mosquitoes and black flies (biting gnats) have been bad this year.

IMG_3179.jpg IMG_3180.jpg It goes in a straight line up the middle of her belly to her her chest. There are no lesions on her udder. So far I used Ivermec Pour-on and BlueKote...

WHAT IS IT?

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

So it is the area that she lays on? What is the ground area like where she mostly lays down?

3. groovyoldlady

Jul 21, 2011
    Central Maine
    Either pine dust and hay (In the stall) or a wooden pallet outside. No one else is having a problem...

We clean the stall and sweep the pallets daily.

4. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    That's exactly what I see on my horse, right on the belly line caused by flies. I put some herbal cream on and fly spray

Iluvlilly! and groovyoldlady like this.
  5. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I wonder if something is irritating her. Have you tried Benadryl?

Sfgwife likes this.
  6. groovyoldlady

Jul 21, 2011
    Central Maine
    We spray her every day, twice a day with homemade spray: It has ACV, water, dish soap, oil, and several EOs. Of course, she's a short Nigerian, so her belly is hard to get!

What is in your herbal cream?

I have not. But maybe I should! The does are all bedded down for tonight. I'll try giving her some tomorrow morning...

7. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    For the horse I use Phyto Balm: https://thehealingbarn.com/blog/201...1we4wVuT58rUGmxfeVGcVOThc6ALUPVMaArf1EALw_wcB

Never tried in on the goats. Usually I make my own stuff for them but with the horse I have older stuff from before I made my own and he likes it and it works really well. I put this on every injury cut anything and it works wonderfully.

Can you use swat on goats? If so I would apply that.

8. groovyoldlady

Jul 21, 2011
    Central Maine
    I'm not familiar with "swat". What is it?

9. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    You could try sprayin vetricyn on it and when it is dry from that some bag balm or even neosporin. Or benadryl has a itchy spray. Most itchy sprays and potions are mostly ammonia.. so a bit of that might help if you dont have the others but have it. Might wanna wash it off good with iodine or hibacleanse first and see about scrubbin some of the crusties off so you can maybe see it better. And give her a small shave in that area if you still cannot see it... that will also allow you to clean and coat it easier too.

groovyoldlady likes this.
  10. TexasGoatMan

TexasGoatMan Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2015
    Dekalb, Texas
    Fura-Zone Nitrofurazone Dressing for Animal Use
    This is great for sores and raw spots. It also keeps the flies away.

groovyoldlady and Dwarf Dad like this.
  11. groovyoldlady

Jul 21, 2011
    Central Maine
    OK, thanks folks! Whatever I use, the goal is to clean the sores and then protect from infection and flies. Got it! I'll give her a little shave this morning and get on it.

You have no idea how thankful I am that it is not some stupid contagious skin disease!

12. groovyoldlady

Jul 21, 2011
    Central Maine
    So this morning I shaved her belly. She wasn't thrilled about that. ;-) However, she was so pleased when I washed her belly. Apparently the cold water felt really good to her. I used what I had on hand. So I washed with Vetericyn Medicated Shampoo, dried her off and then liberally applied M-T-G. It all seemed to make her feel so much better. And the mosquitoes didn't seem to like the M-T-G, so they left her alone. Hallelujah!

13. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki

Yay!

Just a funny but the last week has been sooo hot here. When i wiped crickie’s udder to milk her... she has been hikin up her legs one at a time. I think the coolness of the wipe must feel good to her. But it is too funny! Cause she hikes it up and kinda bends as if to pee.

14. 21goaties

21goaties Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2018
    Southern GA
    I would put some Nu-Stock on it. Our goats get that sometimes too.

15. groovyoldlady

Jul 21, 2011
    Central Maine
    I have that too!!!:coolmoves:

21goaties likes this.
  16. mariarose

mariarose Well-Known Member

We call that stuff "Green Goop" As in, "Go get me the green goop, would ya?"

groovyoldlady and Sfgwife like this.
  17. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Scratch off all the scabs and put on Nu-stock.