I need help feeding my Boer Nubian Goats.

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Fallenzer, Mar 20, 2010.

1. Fallenzer

Fallenzer New Member

Mar 20, 2010
    They are 1 week old, they will not take milk from a bottle i have tried numorous things, PLZ send me an email [email protected] asap or a Text at 509-741-7942 i realy need some help with these kids.

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    What type of milk are you using and how are you mixing it?

Also what type of nipple?

3. Fallenzer

Fallenzer New Member

Mar 20, 2010
    im using a formula mix.

4. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    try adding a little karo syrup for flavor.

otherwise you might not have a good nipple,try a pritchard teat theyre red wih a yellow screw on fitting. just cut a little off the top of the nipple for milk flow and then attach to a pepsi soda bottle

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with KAtrina ...if that don't work...let us know.... :wink: :hug:

6. Fallenzer

Fallenzer New Member

Mar 20, 2010
    tried the soda bottle, they didnt take it, they look like they have a lack of energy

7. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    what are their temps?

if its above 99 then just keep trying, try opeining their mouths and squirting some milk, or putting the nipple in their mouth.

8. Fallenzer

Fallenzer New Member

Mar 20, 2010
    there temp is fine, they just arnt taking the milk, ive tried putting a little syrup on it and they will drink untill the syrup is gone then they quit.

9. magilacudy

magilacudy Member

Mar 18, 2009
    Ontario
    I was in this situation with 2 week old pygmys. I used whole milk in a baby bottle and cut the nipple in a criss cross. Put the kid between your knees and hold them there with your legs. Take one hand and stick your thumb in mouth to open it, then stick the nipple in and hold bottle and their mouths. This will take a few attempts but they will get it and eventually take. Good Luck!!

10. magilacudy

magilacudy Member

Mar 18, 2009
    Ontario
    I was in this situation with 2 week old pygmys. I used whole milk in a baby bottle and cut the nipple in a criss cross. Put the kid between your knees and hold them there with your legs. Take one hand and stick your thumb in mouth to open it, then stick the nipple in and hold bottle and their mouths. This will take a few attempts but they will get it and eventually take. Good Luck!!

11. Fallenzer

Fallenzer New Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Thank you for all who have posted so far, all your tips have helped, they have started eating some grass and are getting use to the bottle, how many days do you think it will take untill they are 100% use to the idea?

12. Shelly Borg

Shelly Borg New Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Redding CA
    I have found covering there eyes when feeding helps a lot.

13. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    magilacudy is right -- you need to pry open their mouths and stick that nipple in, they need to know that milk comes from a bottle since its not natural.

also put your hand under their chin as they drink - for some reason this really helps. -- rub their bottom if you can (sometimes a second person is helpful in this case since you need a hand to hold the kid and a hand for the bottle) it will stimulate sucking since thats what their mom would do if she was licking them while nursing.

As to how long it will take -- some are good the second day others take a good week to really get the idea and latch onto the bottle on their own.

14. Fallenzer

Fallenzer New Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Ive gotten the bigger one to latch on to the bottle, the smaller is just not getting it, also the bigger one is starting to drink water on his own, there from the same mother but on is obviously bigger then the other. What do you guys suggest doing for my little friend?

15. Fallenzer

Fallenzer New Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Also, if they wont nurse for a week, how do we keep them alive without nutrition?

16. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Keep working with he smaller one. Bottling is as hard on the goats and it is the bottle mama but you have to keep at it. You are now that babies only source of food. Take the babies temp to see if its low, below 100. IF it is it will have to be warmed up before it can/will eat as the milk will set in the babies tummy and become toxic.

17. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    If they don't eat for a week, they will die. Sorry to be blunt but this what will happen. Babies HAVE to eat several times a day to survive. Are they showing any other symptoms other than not wanting the bottle?

18. Fallenzer

Fallenzer New Member

Mar 20, 2010
    No, the small one just is not intrested, they sleep inside, outside, and chew on everything, but the older one is clearly bigger then the younger one but they are from the same mother.

19. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    I would give that uninterested baby a dose of B-12. This will help increase appetite and get it interested in food. You can get the B-12 at just about any feed/farm store. IF you can't find an open feed/farm store you can use a human B-12 pill. The instant dissolving ones will work the best but are more expensive than the regular ones. Crush the pill so its very fine powder and mix it with a little milk. Suck it up in a syringe and drench the baby with it. He will pee any excess out. Good luck with the baby.

20. Fallenzer

Fallenzer New Member

Mar 20, 2010
    They seem happy, is it normal for them to sleep alot?