I need help with does eye!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by WalnutGroveFarm, Oct 26, 2008.

1. WalnutGroveFarm

WalnutGroveFarm Senior Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    I dont know what is wrong with my does eye, I got up this morning and it looked like this. Do you think this looks like pinkeye? Are could she have got something in it or cold? What could I do for her? Should I put her on antibotics or get something for pinkeye. She is still eating and drinking pooping and peeing. But she is blinking and acting like it is bothering her. Please help Im so worried.

2. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I don't have any experience with pink eye...but could she have gotten poked in the eye by a horn or branch or something?? I'm sure she'll be just fine, hopefully someone can give you better advice. Good luck and :hug:

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    A warm wet cloth will help, wash it gently, from the inside corner to the outside, it will help remove the crusties....if you have it, a saline solution eyewash will help if she has anything "stuck". If it worsens, you can use a triple antibiotic ointment in her eye...I have the "dollar store" brand and it has worked just fine. BTW...Any number of things could cause a "yucky" eye...allergies, dusty hay...or even it being windy and dry outside.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    first off........wear gloves and look in the eye ........is there any whiteness (cloudiness) in the center? Pinkeye always starts in the center of the eye ........

If not........ check for scratches or foreign objects in the eye.....make sure you check the extra eyelid located in the inner corner........ dig in the pocket with que tip .... sometimes stickers or seeds get in there............ flush the eye out with eyewash or clean water..... If you find a scratch ....put terramycin ointment in the eye........for 5 days 2x a day......... it should start showing improvement pretty quicky...... If there is something in there not belonging ............gently get it out.........if it is to deep .......I would recommend..........a vet to remove it......

If nothing is found it may be a cold in the eye.......treat with penG ..........put a couple of drops in the eye for about 5 days 1 to 2x a day...........it should clear up quickly......

If doing these things does not improve the eye within a week ......a vet has drops to put in the eye that will show any cuts or objects.......it could be something easily missed that is still in the extra eye lid ...or somewhere else.......it happened to us ........we did not see anything.....we treated her...she was not improving .........but getting worse...it started in the inner corner a little cloudiness..............to a fully clouded eye within a week .......took her to the vet ......he looked and looked and finally found it .........in the extra inner eyelid...........she healed back up with terramycin ointment........in a weeks time................

hope this helps

5. WalnutGroveFarm

Sep 27, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Thanks you all for your replies. I thought it was just cold in her eye are the change of wheather because it was a little runny yesterday. But then when I got up this morning then this is what it looked like. Maybe she is digging at it and making it worse. So I will try this and hopefully it will work. Thanks

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    PygmyGoatGirl...............you are very welcome and good luck........ :)

7. deenak

deenak New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Ames Iowa
    We had a nigerian dwarf wether with the same condition. My daughter brought him in the house a couple of times a day and put a warm compress on his eye. He had no other symptoms and it cleared up in a couple of days, although she still thought he would like to come in and sit on the couch and watch tv.

8. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    Daisy has the same symptoms: except she has a sort of a seethruish skin over her eye . . .is this pinkeye?

9. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Talitha...sounds like Daisy does have pinkeye....a cataract type "skin" is caued by an infection.... terramycin eye ointment would be a good thing to use AND PLEASE WASH YOUR HANDS after touching her as pinkeye is very contagious.....even to you. Tractor Supply carries the ointment...it is a bit pricey for the size of the tube, but it only takes a small amount to do the job.

10. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
  11. WalnutGroveFarm

Sep 27, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Just wanted to give an update. Her eye does look better today. Its not red like it was. I think it was just cold in her eye. She just doesnt seem to be doing good with wheather change. But thanks again all you wonderful people with your help. :)