I need help with my brand new rescue donkey! Calling all horse/donkey gurus!!!

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by Nigerian dwarf goat, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    I just got a rescue donkey. I saw her add at TSC and she was free. I decided to go pick her up. I got there and goodness, she is a mess. Her hooves are terrible, but, sadly, I do not know how to clip donkey hooves. I will go pick up horse hoof nippers (is that what you call them?) She is a very sweet girl. Right now, I am getting her used to the spray bottle. She has really bad flies. Every time i spray it, she gets a little handful of alfalfa if she doesn't freak out. She is already somewhat halter trained, and is trained to lift her hoof if i make a clicking sound and i lift her hoof a little. Today, I tried to pick out the mud in her hoof, but goodness, it is packed in there. So I am spraying it with water to soften it up then try to pick it out. I did snip a little hoof off with my goat clippers, but I don't want to use those on her. I can tell her overgrown hooves do hurt her when she tries to walk, and it also doesn't help she is 12 ears old. She also has these big fatty things on the sides. I think it is fat, but i will get a picture tomorrow. Right now i am feeding her a cup of whole oats and a cup of barley (this is what i feed my goats) She is also getting water from my pond, and i have a bucket of fresher water out there for her. She gets hay and alfalfa. She is in with my cows right now, because my smaller pen is being used by one of my bulls that needs to loose weight.
    So i am going to tag everybody that has horses that i know of now

@Damfino @elvis&oliver @Jessica84

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Can you get a farrier out to trim the hooves? That was nice that you took her in.

3. Chelsey

Chelsey Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2018
    If you’re planning on doing her hooves yourself, you’re probably gonna want a rasp. Horse hooves are a LOT harder (like hard vs soft, not difficult) than goat hooves (I don’t actually know about donkeys from personal experience) Its the same basic idea though. Get the hard outer wall as far down as you can without injuring her soft inner pad. Don’t go all the way to pink, thats too far with horses. Go to just before pink. You can lame her if you go too far. Dark hooves are harder to judge than white hooves so it’s better to play it safe. Work them down about every two weeks to give her sole time to adjust. Also, if her hooves are ridiculously rocked back (pastern extremely low and close to the ground) then you should work on her toes before her heels. And make sure her hooves are even on both sides so she doesn’t end up pigeon toed or with hooves splaying out. That’ll hurt worse. Right now work on squaring her up before concentrating on length. If she’s walking around on un squared hooves, you could permanently injure her tendons. I’m coming from my own personal experience, I’m not a farrier at all, but I’ve done several horses hooves for many years. It’s one of my favorite horse chores, right up until you can’t stand cause your back hurts so much!

4. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    I would truly love to get someone out here. None of the farriers out here do donkeys. I have called and called. My place has a little set up for horses so i will do her hooves there, because it has been poured with concrete. People around here think donkeys dont need much care. They think the same thing about goats. They think they are a joke. I am in cattleman country. A bunch of old people set in their ways, and will not change.

5. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    I have a horse rasp that i use for my goats. It is this one
    https://www.anvilbrand.com/products...PnfGRb8M-WCTYezVqnMJcsWHHxvHp_-hoC-sEQAvD_BwE

Ok, sounds just like goats! Thats a good thing!

Darn it! She has dark hooves. I will be careful. Do I have to pick them out?

She looks like this
    [​IMG]

That is not her. I will get a pic of her in the morning when I go back out with her again. Does anybody know what that color is called?

Her name is Stella

6. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Why hello there, congrats on the donkey! What wonderful care Stella will soon be in store for!

My big baby (24 yr old pony, not a baby nor big) used to be terrified of spray bottles. What you are doing is good to get her used to the spraying, but if you need a quick solution you can drench a brush in fly spray, or make wipes using bounty paper towels soaked in it and wipe it on. If she has lesions or areas where the flies really get to, put some swat on those areas.

Horse hooves are not like goats, they require good strong tools, more careful cuts, and yes a lot of rasping. Now horse hooves are also not just like donkey hooves, there are a few differences, I recommend this video: (and do watch out for the frog, not as forgiving at goat sole's.)

I used to have the job of picking out the feet of a horse who lived outside 24/7. That stuff was packed in there. Wetting it helps, and using the correct hoof picks too. Start right beside either side of the frog and push in and then pull downwards. Sometimes you can get it all off in one if you get the angles right.

7. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    I am guessing the frog is the quick? I actually have watched that video this mornin when i got her! It is a great video!
    I am just going to file a little at a time, to set back the quick, because i am sure it has expanded.

NigerianDwarfOwner707 likes this.
  8. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Sort of, yes. It is also just a sensitive part in general, not just one than can draw blood. You never want to pick out the frog too deeply, as it's softer and sensitive. It is the V shape you see. onethird.jpg

BlondeInTally and Trollmor like this.
  9. Chelsey

Chelsey Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2018
    That rasp looks like it’ll work well. Watch out for your fingers cause they file quickly and deeply!

Nigerian dwarf goat likes this.
  10. elvis&oliver

elvis&oliver Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2018
    Pa
    Congrats on your new rescue and she’s lucky she is with you! That’s sad about your neighbors way of thinking :( @Chelsey is giving you good advice you can do harm by filing incorrectly and make her lame and a rasp can be pretty sharp! I will get back to you tomorrow with more advice on her hooves I have a close friend who is has years of farrier experience especially in problem horses. I sent him a message to see what he says. I trust his expertise. Send me a pick of her hooves if you can I want to see the fat you said she has? She might have an abscess if her hooves are packed. There could be a stone working its way through or some other issue you can’t see. Hoof rot or thrush can make her pretty sore. If she’s packed then no air has gotten to her hooves to dry them out. Donkeys have harder hooves then horses and need trimmed differently to keep them all level. I use a mixture of equal part peroxide and white vinegar in a spray bottle for thrush. It’s cheaper then thrush medicine and dries out the hoof nicely. But she could have more then thrush and need stronger treatment. If you can send me a picture after it’s cleaned out my farrier can help. If she does have some rot in there you actually don’t want to be too careful and not dig it out. You want to get out as much as possible. When my horse has thrush which he has had because of our rain I dig right into the crevices of his frog and get it out then spray it good. The middle of the frog which is the central groove is harder to dig out and can be more sensitive but you will want to get any thrush out of it. Use the brush part of your hoof pick if you need too it will probably smell too. Thrush is very stinky! When you trim her make sure the frog is touching the ground, it helps circulate blood flow and is like a cushion when they walk. It’s too bad you can’t get a farrier it would be easier for you, trimming a healthy horse or donkey is a task let alone one with packed hooves and soreness.
    She probably needs some minerals I use Big Sky for our horses and I’m very happy with it. I’d check for parasites before you worm if she has a heavy load you’ll want to know what she’s got before your worm her, only because if she hasn’t been wormed in awhile and you worm with a heavy load it can make her very sick. If you can’t get a fecal I’ll ask my farrier what wormer he suggests as a safe one. He is also an equine dentist chiropractor and trainer and has seen a lot of bad health issues in horses.

How does her skin look under her coat? Flies are evil!! You can get a water bottle so you’re not wasting fly spray to desensitize her. A mister works good too because they don’t hiss as much and a mister actually covers more area. Spraying a rag works good too it gets her used to the smell of the spray and the sound.
    Equi-spot is fly control that you apply once every 14 days. It comes in a tube you put a drop on the forehead and back of leg I think? You can look it up but it helps if you can’t spray. I don’t know how well it works.

Be careful with her hooves if she is sensitive you don’t want to get kicked or have her lift her leg quickly and catch you in the jaw.

Sounds like she is in need of some tender lovin care and she’s going to get it! Good luck Stella!:)
    Please keep me posted

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
  11. Dwarf Dad

Dwarf Dad Well-Known Member

I am glad you rescued Stella. It looks like you are going to have an up hill battle, for a little while.:)
    My wife and I were going to buy a miniature donkey before she quit her job, and I started reading up on them. Most of what I read was about feeding and the correct feeds for them. The feed you gave Stella, according to different websites, is way too rich for her. The grains and alfalfa actually have more nutrients than a donkey can use, and will cause the slabs of fat on their neck and sides that you described.
    I think that I got a lot of info here: https://www.thedonkeysanctuary.org.uk/

12. elvis&oliver

Jun 27, 2018
    Pa
    When I say the frog is touching the ground I mean you do want the hoof level enough that the frog is able to be on the ground. You don’t want the hooves so long her frog isn’t doing it’s job and being her cushion.

13. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    I will check for abcesses in the morning

would this work? I do have cattle minerals out there because she is with the cows, but i am almost positive that she cant eat them
    https://www.farmandfleet.com/produc...ieVCvV1vDsBwc_VXm5LhpqX8tB6No0QhoCxu4QAvD_BwE

The guy i got her from, actually did a fecal on her before she came over to my house on my request. She is negative for worms and cocci, and i saw the paper that says so.

Ahh! Thank you for that link dwarf dad! I will look into it! she wasn't being fed anything, she was only grazing a lush pasture.

Dwarf Dad likes this.
  14. Trollmor

Trollmor Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Goatless in Sweden
    What a nice thread, and I learnt a lot, too! Welcome to TGS, Stella, and try to post nice photos of yourself, and let us all know how things advance for you! :)

15. BethJ

BethJ Well-Known Member

May 28, 2019
    North Carolina
    I'm just watching and learning. Would love to see pictures! I'm entertaining the idea of adopting a donkey and need to learn more about their care.

16. elvis&oliver

Jun 27, 2018
    Pa
    My equine advisor said Big Sky minerals will be very good for her absolutely NO cattle feed. It can kill her. Feed her soybean meal and alfalfa hay.

if she has something that looks like fat pockets on the bottoms of her hooves or back heel it’s probably old frog that has not shedded yet. It actually needs to be clipped off. You need to dig all the rot or thrush out, hand trip the hooves even with the frog and cut the flares off the outside. The frog is only sensitive if she has thrush badly otherwise get in there and clean it out best you can. Like I said the brush will do if she’s touchy with the pick. Too many people think the frog is sensitive and don’t clean it properly it is the source of blood flow to the leg, every time the frog comes in contact with the ground it helps the blood flow circulate. If you trim them level with the top of the frog underneath it helps you to level them out. If you bring the foot forward out in front and trim straight down from the hair line to remove flares and her long toes. There are tons of barefoot trimming videos on the internet. Type that in and you’ll see visuals of what to do. I’m sorry its hard to explain with out seeing what I’m talking about but I hope all this helps you. Sending you lots of luck!

Nigerian dwarf goat likes this.
  17. Dwarf Dad

Dwarf Dad Well-Known Member

Yep, the lush pasture did it. What I read, where ever that may have been, said donkeys come from desert regions of the world and eat constantly from genetic disposition. The way to keep them in good shape is to feed them low quality hay or straw.
    That is about all of my donkey knowledge, lol. Again, that was great of you to adopt, rescue Stella!
    EDIT: I posted at same time as @elvis&oliver , not going against her. Don't know who is right.:)

18. elvis&oliver

Jun 27, 2018
    Pa
    @Dwarf Dad don't worry I never even like to give advice because I don’t always believe I’m right! I didn’t take offense at all:) I did some reading last night and I do know that some of mules and donkeys have myths from
    Old school thinking and they do need more then people believe. Kind of the philosophy that goats will eat anything and goats can survive on tin cans. But again I don’t always like giving advice because what works for one doesn’t always for another :)
    The advice for feed and hooves today is from my trusted experienced equine trainer/farrier/equine dentist and equine chiropractor who has years of practice problematic health horse issues. He has trimmed horses for some Olympic jumpers as well. I’ve known him for years and traveled with him. He knows more then me for sure. So the credit isn’t mine.

This is a good sight

http://horsesinthesouth.com/blog/de...rition-the-high-fat-diet-by-geoff-tucker-dvm/

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    groovyoldlady, Trollmor and Dwarf Dad like this.
  19. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    Ok! I dont feed my cows, they just graze, all i have out there is minerals, and she hasnt touched them yet. I dont think she will. I can get soybean meal at my local feed store i believe! I will ask. If not i will ask some more about diet!

I havent seen any of that. She just has slabs of fat on the sides of her neck and on her sides. I will check for it though!

I read that link @Dwarf Dad ! Sadly I have no way to limit her grazing :(.
    Thank you @elvis&oliver ! I will read up on that link you sent me! Off to take pictures of her feet! And of her! I will be back soon!

elvis&oliver likes this.