I need Help with Tattoo crimper

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Moers kiko boars, Aug 14, 2020.

1. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Hi..Im going to.purchase a Tattoo Crimper? Hand held. I need some help in deciding. Can you tell me your pros & cons on the brand you use and what type of ink or paste? Do you use colors? What letter size? What do you do if you mess up.? Need experience and guidance !
    PLEASE & THANKYOU

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  2. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    The stone set is nice. Small animal. Get two sets. Makes it so much easier to not have to change the farm ear and the number ear every goat. Farm stays the same and the number just changes on the other. Green paste ink.

Moers kiko boars likes this.

3. Moers kiko boars

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Thankyou. Have you ever tried the pen?

4. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    The dual head Stone tattooer is good. But it only comes with numbers. (I think) so you have to order the letters separately.
    I don't think I could make a goat stand still and hold still with a pen.

Use green ink paste. The liquid is worthless. It does not last. Buy cheap toothbrushes, it helps when you rub the ink in.

5. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    Like a real tattoo machine? I think that would be crazy jard to get one to be still for that.

6. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    We use the small Stone tattoo kit with the green paste ink. We got the smallest size one since we have ND. I think we got it from Jeffers or Caprine Supply, can’t remember which. Ordered extra tattoo letters and numbers. It would be nice to have 2 so I don’t have to change out between ears each time. I’ll probably get a second. Easy to use.

7. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    I ordered mine from Jeffers - I like the larger size letters for my Nubians. Set came with both letters and numbers, and I have one for the herd ID and the other I switch - I like the swivel head. Green paste. White fades, liquid is junk. With the pliers it a crimp and done situation. I wouldn't attempt the pen. I clean the ear with alcohol, crimp, rub in green paste with an old toothbrush, set the tattoo with baking soda. I also clean between each goat by soaking in alcohol.

8. Moers kiko boars

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma