I need HELP!!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Iwantgoats, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Iwantgoats

Iwantgoats New Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Missouri
    My little nigerian bottle baby has green watery diarrhea. He has taken 2.5 bottles today, totaling aprox. 30 oz. He is 2.5 weeks old. I sent my son to wal-mart to buy some pepto. How much do I give him? He is starting to grind his teeth. What else can/should I do for him? I mixed some electrolyte solution up but he won't take it, he just wants to sleep. Please help

Sorry: Posted in the wrong place :(

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

3. Coraxfeather

Coraxfeather New Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Slippery ROckPA
    Tashie grinded her teeth when she was in a little pain and also little puppy whines then I gave her baby tyenal (sp).

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    first off you will want to find out WHY the kid is scouring. Green usualy means diet induced but it can also be cocci or some kind of infection.

How much are you giving him per feeding? According to your post you have given him aprox 12 oz per feeding - thats WAY to much per feeding for a 2 + week old if it is a mini and still a lot for a standard. I would cut back to like 5-8 oz per feeding and feed more often (like every 3 hours).

Give 2-3ccs of pepto (dont know if this is a standard or mini) and make sure he stays hydrated. They can QUICKLY become dehydrated!

5. Coraxfeather

Coraxfeather New Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Slippery ROckPA
    I was told by a vet jsut to give my mini tashie 1 cc.

6. Iwantgoats

Iwantgoats New Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Missouri
    I normally give 8oz bottle 4x a day, sometimes they leave an ounce or two in the bottle. On Sunday DH and I had to leave and take our son back to college and I left my 19 yr old and his gf in charge of afternoon feeding. They have an outdoor playpen they go in if the weather is nice so they can get some sunshine. He apparently didn't check the door to the playpen to make sure it was secure and 2 hours later my 15 yr. old called and said "Popcorn and Punky are on the front porch". Their playpen is in the backyard :(

I'm assuming that Punky ate something on his adventure to the front door. Our yard is growing and fresh grass would be my guess. I took a fecal last week to the vet when Punky had scours and no cocci. I gave 2 cc's of pepto last night, should I give 2 cc's this morning as well?

7. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    it isnt uncommon for a 2 week old to nibble but they rarely really eat anything substantual besides milk. Have you seen him munching on anything before?

2ccs this morning if he is still scouring is good.

A clean fecal a week ago doesnt mean he is clean today

8. rgbdab

rgbdab New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    TEXAS
    Sorry to hear about your baby. I have 2 boer bottle babies, now 3 months old. They both, at differant times got diarrhea like you described when the were young. The first one was about 2 weeks old and was doing fine at his morning bottle and wouldn't take his noon bottle and had the scours. Took him to the vet and he never found what was wrong, but aggresively addressed the symptoms. He gave me some Rx anti diarrhea medicine, (Pepto works just as good), gave him an antibiotic, and tubed him with electrolytes. The second one got sick at about 6 weeks old with the same symptoms. I treated him with Pepto 10cc (not a mini) every 2 hours until the scours let up and tubed some electrolytes (6oz) at normal feeding time until he would take his bottle. Both were better the next day and back to themselves in 2 days.

I would suggest Pepto every couple of hours until you see the diarrhea slowing down and continue to offer him water or elecrolytes frequently or tube him if you can. No milk until his tummy settles some, then I dilute it for the first feeding or two.
    If he isn't responding, then get him to the vet because kids can go south in a hurry.

Good luck, Denise

9. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    A 2 week old nigerian eating 8 oz of milk at a time is alot of milk. I would get a temp on this kid and give 10cc C,D antitoxin orally followed by 10cc sup q. if this kid were here. This is the prime age for too much milk leading to enthro. Grinding teeth is pain and at 2 weeks old belly pain usually means enthro.

10. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Very good point Teresa

here is a good article I just found

http://www.jackmauldin.com/health/enterotoxaemia.htm

the thing is Enterotoxemia and coccidia have simular simptoms but since he got a large amount of milk suddenly Enterotoxemia is likely.

I had a kid who died of this last year :(

11. Iwantgoats

Iwantgoats New Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Missouri
    Normal poo this am and then runny again at lunch time. Took a fecal to the vet, no cocci but does have a worm (don't remember name) not bad but vet recommended Ivermectin. I will do vaccinations as well but would like suggestions on what you use? This one: Essential 3 + T (CD&T) or this one: Bar-Vac CD/T? What else should I do or order? I have a few more questions but their probably irrelevant and sound stupid but if I get the courage to ask I will, In the meantime I will continue to read everythig I can get my hands on. You all have been a huge help and I greatly appreciate all your replies, thank you.

12. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    never feel silly about askign questions - thats what we are hear for!

either vaccine will work. I use the BarVac but wish i could get the Essential 3+T

13. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    There are no stupid questions, only the ones that go unasked!

Please, if it will help make the baby healthy and ease your mind, ask away!

14. Iwantgoats

Iwantgoats New Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Missouri
    I've taken his milk away and I am giving him 4-6 oz of electrolytes 4x a day. He acts fine, plays fine, doesn't act like he's in pain and temp is normal but had runny poo this evening again. Gave 2.5 cc of pepto this pm. He doesn't consistenly grind his teeth, it's an occasional thing, especially when I'm trying to administer the pepto, which he doesn't care for.

Here comes the question.....Everyone but DH has had diarrhea. Started with my 15 yr old son then I got it. I've had it for 6 days now and am taking immodium. My bowel movements have looked just like the goats or the goats look just like mine. Now my 19 yr old son comes home from work today not feeling well and has diarrhea. I've sprayed, disinfected, cleaned, washed everything. I feel like we are all just passing this intestinal bug around back and forth. Can or do people share illnesses with animals? If we have an intestinal bug could I have given to the goat since his immunities are low (being a baby and all) and since I'm his primary caregiver. I seem to have it worse than anyone else in the household. :(

15. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    are you feeding him formula? could it be your water?

16. Iwantgoats

Iwantgoats New Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Missouri
    They are on their last batch of formula which I have been mixing 1/2 formula and half water to make it weaker because I think I was mixing it to strong to begin with and that's how the first one got diarrhea but he's all cleared up and doing great. I never really thought about the water but.....it has been cloudy here lately and my son commented on it last night so it's odd that you would ask that. We have city water though we are at the end of the line. Maybe something in the water is off? We drink lots of water around here and also tea.

They are crying right now wanting another bottle and I just feed them about 2.5 hours ago, 5 oz. each. One got formula and one got electolyte solution. I'm just stumped and starting to get frustrated. The vet says he's healthy other than the worm. Do I leave him on electrolyes till the diarrhea goes away? Should I mix alittle yogurt in the next bottle? I always have that on hand with live cultures in it.

17. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    If this were my goat I would throw away the goat formula and put them both on whole cows milk with a dose of pepto in each bottle for a day or two. Goat formula can be bad and if you mix it incorrectly it can be even worse.

18. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    The yougrt can't hurt. and dont feed em just cause they cry. if you are feedin 4x/day then set a sched and stick to it. make sure they have free choice grass hay(mabey a legume) and lots of clean water.

19. Iwantgoats

Iwantgoats New Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Missouri
    Ok, went and got whole milk. Should I dilute it 1/2 and 1/2 till they are use to it with 2cc of pepto or no?

20. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Mix half and half for the next 3-4 feedings, then you should be able to add even more milk to the bottles, omitting the replacer.