I need help

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Gumtree, May 2, 2010.

1. Gumtree

Gumtree Lurking Aussie

Aug 15, 2009
    S.E. Qld Australia
    I'm utterly confused....below are some photos.....I don't know what this is....I've treated it as worm's, they have been worm 3 times in the last 2 months...twice by the previous owner...and that again by me a few days ago...with the worm drench recommended by our vet for Barber's Pole Worm...which is what i suspected it was but...they are not anemic....and no change from the drench...so than I tried a natural drench...still nothing...so than wondering if this was some sort of poisoning...worm drench over dose or something....today i gave them drenched with Vitamin C and gave dolomite powder...so will see if that does anything....if you have any idea what this is...I'd very much appreciate any help you can give me....
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    thats bottle jaw from the barberpoll worm usually. What is the active ingredient in the drench? is it ivermectin? They might be resistant to the wormer.

You want to worm them and then do so again in 7-10 days later do it again.

A shot of iron wouldnt hurt either.

Now you said they dotn look anemic -- does that mean you checked their lower eyed lids?

3. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    That definitely looks like bottle jaw...it may take several successive doses to get it under control...maybe 3-4 times at 10 days apart. I am not sure how long it will take for the swelling to go away...

4. How much do these goats weigh? You may have Cocci in there as well. Did you check the eyes tp see how anemic they are? I am not saying they are or are not it is just hard for them not be be with bottle jaw. I have gone through this one but before I give the "what to dos" I want to be sure of these two things. Have you had a fecal done? Sorry just trying to get all the facts before I proceed. I know you also said they were not anemic I just want to be sure so sorry for the double questions.

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    wow ...yeah... that is barber pole looking..... very odd....it hasn't went away yet.... sorry ...not much help here...sounds like you have done everything... I would also think spider or sting... Have you checked for tooth abscess :scratch:

6. Gumtree

Gumtree Lurking Aussie

Aug 15, 2009
    S.E. Qld Australia
    the previoues owner did this "the goats were all drenched with Nilzam (levimasole) on the 12/4/10. They were drenched with Q Drench on the 27/3/10 prior to that."

since than I've drenched with Ivermec R.V.

and a natural remedy....

I've seen barbers pole worm before.....we had a severe problem with it in sheep about two years ago, have got that completely under control now....also my original dairy goats had it too....and I have always been able to pull it up with less than this before....and it doesn't seem like the normal bp worm symptoms...to me....mum recons the liver's stuff/overloaded or something like that

7. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Look up Garlic Barrier for sheep. It also works for goats and they don't mind it as much as ivermec. PS you double the dose for goats. Hope it helps.

Gina

8. Gumtree

Gumtree Lurking Aussie

Aug 15, 2009
    S.E. Qld Australia
    okay an update
    They are about the same...

I know you are going to be thinking I'm crazy...because I have not drenched with the recommended drenches,

I'm now going to be honest...and explain completely

I'm 18 & living at home with my parents ...and they have allowed me to run my goats on their farm,
    Now their farm is certified organic....which (as I of course have to abide by the organic rules)
    means that I can not use chemical's...etc vaccines, drenches....... I can use a little but that I have to quarantine them for 3 weeks..... So that is why I am using natural drenches....
    etc copper, garlic ....(I only ever use chemicals, if I can not pull them with anything else)-Last ditch effort -if you know what i mean?

Today I drenched them with Garlic Juice & Vitamin C.....

I hope you can understand my quandary and bear with me

also thanks Mrs Lam :)

9. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Totally understand your situation.... Garlic does wonders with parasite control as well as just the general health, since they have been dosed with the chemicals and are quarantined...any way you can move them to a "different" separate area to prevent re-infestation? I would do the heavy doses of garlic repeatedly and give the swelling time to go down. Garlic won't affect the liver the way chemicals will so no worries about that. Cocci is in every goat, stress to the system can bring about an overload of them and yes, it is even there in Australia so if you can have a fecal done, ask the vet about coccidia.
    My mom raised dairy goats for years and never used anything except garlic and honey balls for the goats, wether it be worms or just the general blahs..those garlic/honey balls did wonders. She used cloves of garlic that were smashed with honey added to make a ball then pushed them down the throat.

10. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Liz,

Great idea with the garlic and honey balls. I'll have to give that a try.

The garlic also helps with skeeters and flies once it's in their system for awhile. I hope they get better soon. :pray:

Gina

11. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    completely understandable..... :thumb: the organic stuff ...does work slower than the chemical stuff ....so keep that in mind....good luck to you ....Hope the garlic kicks in soon... :hug:

12. Understand, however this one is out of my leage as I know nothing on these ways. Sorry about that.

13. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    shirelle, have you tried treating them for liver fluke? I dont know how you would do that naturally though. But when I've had the bottle jaw not responding to drenches, the liver fluke is behind it.

14. Gumtree

Gumtree Lurking Aussie

Aug 15, 2009
    S.E. Qld Australia
    no keren...where we are...we have no creeks/dams that carry fluke....weather Kerry has it is another question...how long does it hang around for ?

they are improving :) tho

15. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    I have seen them affected for up to 18 mths after being moved from a flukey area to a non flukey area if they havent been treated ...

good to hear they are improving though :)