The Goat Spot Forum banner

I need help!!

1K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  mjs500doo 
#1 ·
Ok I have a nigerian doe that is six or seven months old anyways I also have a ND buck well I was trying to be careful and not breed her but she went in to heat and I did not get her moved to the other pen before the buck got to her. I am not for sure he got the deed done but there is a really good chance.

I am not able to do an abortion so I was wondering if there is something I can do to get her ready for kidding so she has a good birth?

I would also like to hear some stories about this that ended well.

I am so mad at my self for letting this happen.
:mad::devilish::wallbang::veryangry:

P.S. She is not super tiny and she is about 30 to 40 lbs

#2 ·
In my opinion either lute her or just make sure to watch grain intake for the first two months. Very limited. Get a vet's number to keep by the phone side just in case. In my opinion I think she'll do fine. Try to be there when she starts labor.

#4 ·
How big do you expect her to get?

Standard goats are frequently bred at 70-80% their full grown size. I agree with Megan that so long as you keep her grain intake low so the babies stay small there shouldn't be too much difficulty. Younger goats have been bred and done fine and while it may stunt her growth a little, that shouldn't really be a problem.

#5 ·
I have a 50 lb 18 inch tall doe that is two years and does fine with kidding to my 20 inch buck the biggest problem people have is they let them eat too much grain and the babies grow too large. You will be fine and I was just like you with my doe she was bred by a buck at 7 months and 40 lbs and I just locked her up and cut all grain and put her on hay she then proceeded to birth twin polled bucklings. Also about the grain thing I had a Nigie doe that I bred to my Nigie buck and gave her the grain like everybody else but she got a little extra because she is the boss. She is 20 in and 60lbs and this march she surprised me with two boer nigie cross babies and a pure nigie baby. Let me tell you triplets out of a different dad is something else

#6 ·
She will probably be okay. As long as you keep her healthy, keep up on her minerals, selenium, copper, good feed, etc. I wouldn't worry too much. Try to be there when she kids though in case she needs help.

I have found though, that when does are that young, they usually don't get bred on the first try so she very well may not take to that breeding.

#7 ·
Yep make sure you write down the date need and make sure you have that sure date correct and watch her. Do all that you can to be there. Make sure you have Good shoulder OB gloves and plenty of lube incase you have to help her.
Now all that said I had two does kid at their first birthday and never had a problem. I did have one that the baby was breech.
Good luck and keep us posted. I agree have a vet number on speed dial.

#8 ·
I agree with all that has been said.
She sounds pretty well grown for her age, so I'm guessing she'll be fine. Pregnant goats should have grain for the last 6 weeks of pregnancy to lower the chance of pregnancy toxemia, which happens when the feed intake isn't enough to support growing kids.
I had a doe that was accidentally bred at 7 months. She kidded a medium-sized single with no problems.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.