I need information for a cow that havent had baby.

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by myfavgoats, Nov 20, 2007.

1. myfavgoats

myfavgoats New Member

Oct 8, 2007
    Well I need to get information becuz I wanted to experiment whenever I buy that cow from my friend. That cow is SOO friendly and loveable and I hate to see her go to slaughter house. So I am going to buy it from her and take it home and experiment with homeopathy stuff or other advice to help her to get pregnant. She did got pregnant once and after that she didnt. For some reason. My friend cant figure out why. But she said that she was the best milker and most friendly one.. I would like to try that and see how it goes and if it dont work then I will have her being butchered and use the meat as for ground beef. Oh she is a Jersey. And she is 3 years old. Thanks. Let me know. Thanks..

2. Haviris

Haviris Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Well I don't know that I can give any advice, how long have they been trying to get her bred? You said she got pg once, did she have a calf? Or abort? I didn't even breed my cow for the first time until she was 3, but that was because she was alittle on the small side.

My mom runs her cows and bull together all the time, so normally the cows are bred for the first time around 1 1/2-2 years old I'd guess and she had one that was 4 years old before having her first calf, we nearly sold her a couple times thinking she may be sterile, but she was one of my favs and I usually got them to put it off, and then she suprised us with an adorable heifer.

So I don't really have any advice on getting her bred, but at only 3 I'd give her some time. Good luck, I hope someone can help you out!

3. myfavgoats

myfavgoats New Member

Oct 8, 2007
    Well. I remember that my friend said that she carried her baby full term until she was in labor the baby died when its born.. And After that she never got pregnant. So. I was wondering if it is cyst or not?? That what I am trying to figure out. I would like to take her home. I mean she is the MOST friendly cow that I ever met. Usually everytime i met them and they get all worked up but not this one. So I feel bad for her. She said she is the best milker too. I am like OH man.. I feel pity for them.. So That what I am trying to see if we can try it out with homeopathy and see how it goes and if it didnt work out then we will have her butchered (i hope not)... Thanks..

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yah 3 seems young. Sounds like your friend just doesn't have the time or means to wait for her to be productive.

Use the fastrack on her. If she is malnurished chances are that is a reason why she isn't getting pregnant.

Check for worms as well.

But I would assume that just like a goat that sometimes they aren't caught at the right time in their cycle to take OR they just weren't ready that year.

5. Chaty

Chaty New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    Well I do raise cattle and I turn my heifers out with my bull when they are 15 mths old so that they calve by the time they are 2...It sounds like she is slipping her calfs and there might be a problem there as some dont see. I first off would give her a shot of Elite 9 to begin with. I give my cattle or cows this shot to make sure we dont have a problem with Leptospria , which can cause them to slip their calf. This is what I would do. Also ask if she has ever recieved this shot before and if not have her givin a shot to see if it will help, if not there are other problems to consider before you purchase her. Do you want a pasture pet? Because if by some chance she cant calve thats what you will have and a expensive hobby. I love my cattle but if they have problems I sell...not personal just good business. I dont mean to souond cruel but that is the way I have to be with my cattle.

6. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Sounds like Kathy ishas the best advice so far. What kind of cow is she? You said she was a wonderful milker? I raised dairy cows when I was young, and we noticed that we had more trouble with Holstein, then we ever did my Guernsey.
    Good luck Hope she can be bred, and you have beautiful babies. I agree with Kathy aon the age. We put our heifers out at about 15 months with the bull also.

7. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I think she said it was a Jersey.

8. Chaty

Chaty New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    Mine is a Jersey also and they all get the shot I told about earlier and it should help if she hasnt had it before. The bull usually is the carrier and its a crap shoot as to which cow gets it or not. I highly recommend it and its not a expensive shot either. I started this when we rented bulls and have stopped doing this as we purchased a bull but still give the shots. Better safe than sorry later after you have waited 9 mths for the calf and then it is aborted early and dont live. Too Expensive in my book compared to the shots and they only have to have 1 a year. Good Luck in your choice...