I need some advice on 3week old doe and a horn breaking off

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Goat Crazy, Apr 30, 2010.

1. Goat Crazy

Goat Crazy New Member

Feb 8, 2010
    NE Ohio
    My almost 3week old doeling legs till haven't straighten out so I am thinking it's permanent. She was born a little weak (one of triplets) and only weighed 1 lb.14 oz. I gave her some selenium/Vit.-E gel when she was a few hours old and she has improved a little bit. My question is do you think she'll improve and will it pass on to her kids if it doesn't?

I also have a doe who has horns and one of her horns is breaking off. It isn't bleeding and it looks like a hollow horn on top of a little white horn bud. I haven't been able to go look at it in person this just what I saw from a picture, that got deleted :angry: What should I do about it? Should I just wait till it falls off and then wrap it up if its bleeding? Also, if I can fit a iron around her horns can i disbud her? She is 3 this year.

Attached Files:

2. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Re: I need some advice on 3week old doe and a horn breaking

The babies legs may straighten as it grows stronger.

As to the horn I would leave it alone and let her knock it off. There may be a small amount of blood (you will think she is bleeding to death, but shes not) and then again there may not. I would clean the area and put Blu Kote on it to help it dry up. I would also spray her head, avoiding the eyes, with screw worm spray. This will help keep flies from laying their eggs in the wound. The horn issue sounds like someone attempted to band it but it didn't fall off. My buck knocked his scur off and he looked like he had been the sole survivor of a massacre. It didn't seem to bother him at all that he was dripping blood and had just yanked his horn out of his head.

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

I'm not seeing a major issue with the kids legs :?
    From what I can tell, she has strong pasterns and toes out a bit with the left front :?

Sometimes the toe out is a throwback in the lines....I know from talking to the breeder of my bucks dam that their previous breedings had toe out issues and it took years of selective breedings to "fix" it.

As far as the broken horn, do as crocee said to keep the flies away and I would not try to disbud her...3 years old I think is too old to do the job.

4. Realfoodmama

Realfoodmama New Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Santa Fe, NM

Was it a scur, or a horn?

My assumption is that it was a scur that broke off, in which case it should be fine. It will bleed a bit, but doesn't need a lot of attention aside from keeping an eye on the bleeding.

Pretty sure 3 years is way too late to try another disbudding.

5. Goat Crazy

Goat Crazy New Member

Feb 8, 2010
    NE Ohio

I think its a horn not a scur.
    I agree 3 years is old for disbudding I was just wondering if it could be done, if the iron was big enough and if it would be okay to do it since she is a little old for it.

6. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas

I was assuming it was a scur due to the way you described it as being hollow and having a little white horn bud under it. This is the way scurs look when they get knocked off. IF if were an actual intact horn there would be copious amounts of blood spurting and a hole into the sinus cavity.

7. Goat Crazy

Goat Crazy New Member

Feb 8, 2010
    NE Ohio

Then I guess it's a scur then. I'll post some pictures soon.

8. Goat Crazy

Goat Crazy New Member

Feb 8, 2010
    NE Ohio

Here are some pictures of the horn and a couple more of the doeling's front legs. They look better in the picture then in person. Her main fault I guess is that her hooves point out.

Attached Files:

9. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas

Yep, that is a scur. You will also notice how the other one turns in at an odd angle. Full horns grow up and back not turned to the side. She will likely knock both of them off and if you grab the attached one you will likely feel a looseness.

I really don't see anything much wrong with the babies legs.

10. Goat Crazy

Goat Crazy New Member

Feb 8, 2010
    NE Ohio

Okay, Thanks!
    Maybe its just because she is smaller then the others, so they look wrong to me. :shrug: