I need some advice please! Goat is "off"

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Tarheel Acres, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Tarheel Acres

Tarheel Acres New Member

Aug 26, 2009
    I need some advice from some other goat owners please. I have a 5 year old doe who seems to be having a hard time getting around all of the sudden. She stays in the house, and does not come out to browse with the rest of the herd. She seems to be walking funny with her back legs. Its like they are hurting her and even bowing a bit outwards. She had a clumpy poop, but other than that seems "fine". She doesnt seem sick, but something is wrong. I have not had one act quite like this before. Anyone have any thoughts? Please?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I would have a fecal done on her to check for worms. A kidn of worm (I can never spell it) can cause damage to the nervous system. Chances are this isnt what the problem is but its good to check into it anyway. Also if her poop is clumpy then she has some worms and its good to know what kind before treating so you treat the right worms.

3. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    I believe Stacey is talking about Meningeal worm (sp??) I would give her high doses of Ivermectin 3 days in a row and then again 10 days after the last dosage. Some Vitamin B Complex would also be helpful for her. Also, if you re experiencing high temps right now.... be sure to give electrolytes..... dehydration and heat exhaustion can also cause weakness. Hope this helps and I hope your girl is feeling better soon.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ