The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we have acquired two Boer goats a Nanny and her first kid I’ve never had goats before. We had the area checked for them and told it was perfect 🤦‍♀️ That’s where it all begins. The nanny Mistletoe just wants to escape jumped the gates and fences which are fairly high there is no containing her.
Have now got them living in the stable and spending time just sitting with them and trying to get them used to me.
The Kid will now come to me and I can hand feed her and she loves a nibble on me but Mistletoe (mum) is very nervous keeps her distance and if I move a hand even slightly moves away.
I’m worrried that by keeping them in the stable they are not getting the nutrients from the hedges and feeding outside although I’m providing plenty of fresh hay water and a goat mix.
I’d love to be able to get them on leads and at least be able to give them outdoors time but am I being unrealistic.
Family and friends are so negative and think it’s funny the amount of times I’ve heard ‘we told you not to get goats’ feel like a first time mum again and doubting myself …… please any advice would be helpful and thanks in advance

·
Registered
5,461 Posts
Hi and welcome to TGS.

Ok so when did get your Doe and her kid? You will need to stable them for a ehile to get used to their new environment. Your feed situation for them seems ok. I see you are in the UK. While they are in quarenteen adding a good loose mineral free choi e will help with them staying healthy.
You also need to watch for stress related behaviour. Bloat, lethargy, refusal to eat and drink and the like.
What you are doing is good. Sitting with them is the best way to get them used to you and how you fit into the herd.
Check tgeir Famancha, temps and general hooves as well.
Dont panick. Once they pick up you panick easily they will drive you insane... 😁

Goats are master manipulators of humans... just saying

I hope more experienced goat lovers will chime in... 😁

·
Registered
896 Posts
Have you considered putting a hot wire along the top of the fence to keep her contained? New surroundings can seem like a challenge to some goats. As far as getting Mistletoe to gentle down, its gonna take some time. Adult goats can be difficult to gentle down, but you can do it. When you feed her, calmly talk to her. Let her see you pet and feed her kid from your hand. Over time she will be come curious and start to come to you on her terms. Give her time and be patient.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi and welcome to TGS.

Ok so when did get your Doe and her kid? You will need to stable them for a ehile to get used to their new environment. Your feed situation for them seems ok. I see you are in the UK. While they are in quarenteen adding a good loose mineral free choi e will help with them staying healthy.
You also need to watch for stress related behaviour. Bloat, lethargy, refusal to eat and drink and the like.
What you are doing is good. Sitting with them is the best way to get them used to you and how you fit into the herd.
Check tgeir Famancha, temps and general hooves as well.
Dont panick. Once they pick up you panick easily they will drive you insane... 😁

Goats are master manipulators of humans... just saying

I hope more experienced goat lovers will chime in... 😁
Thank you so much that’s not only helpful but a relief that I’m not getting this all wrong 😂
Got them last Saturday at that point couldn’t get near them. Now they are in stable the kiid is becoming very friendly will lick and tug at me very curious. The Doe will occasionally come and sniff me but if I move even slightly backs away.
Both are eating well and drinking don’t seem stressed out I was just worried about keeping them inside and them not getting the exercise they need.
You be been told the kids eat tags have been put on in the wrong place and will irritate her eyes but don’t want to stress her out trying to remove them have added picture what are your thoughts ??
Goat Fawn Goat-antelope Sheep Horn

·
8,495 Posts
They are very cute! As long as they are being fed and have fresh water- they don't have to be outside eating. Mine are dry lotted- Most have never been on pasture- (commercial
dairy goats). Its better to get them used to you and comfortable around you before you let them into a larger outside area. Once the doe gets accustomed to you, she won't try to
escape. Maybe after a few weeks or a month, she will be ready to go out in the pasture. Just spend time with them.. Maybe even leash train the doe- the kid will follow!
Welcome to the world of goats!

·
Super Moderator
14,810 Posts
Try the hot fence first. Some goats are just jumpers and escape artists and not all the time it’s something that can be fixed. It doesn’t mean goats in general are all like that though.
Don’t get frustrated. I would get a bucket of the goat mix and set it down by you. It doesn’t have to be super close to you. Don’t try to pet her at first, just let her come to the bucket on her own. When you are done and ready to leave take the bucket with you. Goats are smart and she will start to realize if she wants the good stuff she needs to come fairly close to you or she is going to miss out on her “candy”. Then just keep bringing the bucket closer to you and once she eats close to you without being totally worried then you can work on petting her. She may end up being one that never enjoys being touched, but as long as she is easy to catch and manage that is the important thing.

·
Premium Member
Raising Quality Show & Commercial Goats
6,219 Posts
Hi..glad you came to TGS! Congrats on your 2 new goats. They are fun! Im sorry she tried to escape..they can be scaredy cats for sure. I agree with all thats bern said. The kid will come to you first. They are curious and less afraid. They also will love to climb and explore what kind of toy you are. It just takes time and repetition.
If you bring mama a branch, hold one end and see if she will eat off the far end. Sometimes they will allow that, and forget you are on the other end. I usually listen to my phone music, and get the goats used to that other noise while you are there. Be patient and have fun.

·
Super Moderator
32,284 Posts
Welcome to TGS. Good advice above on all..time and patience. If you do bring a bucket of feed..make sure they don't eat too much..just put a handful or so in the bucket. You can bring a few animal crackers or raw peanuts in the shell to offer them as you come and leave. Food and treats are huge motivators lol. You are doing well and they will be fine in the stall for a while. They have each other for company. Hang in there..you got these girls for a reason, don't let others give you doubt! Plus you belong to the very best goat forum family now 😁 we got your BACK!

·
Registered
583 Posts
So we have acquired two Boer goats a Nanny and her first kid I’ve never had goats before. We had the area checked for them and told it was perfect 🤦‍♀️ That’s where it all begins. The nanny Mistletoe just wants to escape jumped the gates and fences which are fairly high there is no containing her.
Have now got them living in the stable and spending time just sitting with them and trying to get them used to me.
The Kid will now come to me and I can hand feed her and she loves a nibble on me but Mistletoe (mum) is very nervous keeps her distance and if I move a hand even slightly moves away.
I’m worrried that by keeping them in the stable they are not getting the nutrients from the hedges and feeding outside although I’m providing plenty of fresh hay water and a goat mix.
I’d love to be able to get them on leads and at least be able to give them outdoors time but am I being unrealistic.
Family and friends are so negative and think it’s funny the amount of times I’ve heard ‘we told you not to get goats’ feel like a first time mum again and doubting myself …… please any advice would be helpful and thanks in advance
What kind of fence are you using, how high, and what kind of gate? I would also make sure you know not to put anything a goat can you to jump close enough to the fence for them to use to get out. Some goats are VERY good at jumping out! You can attach a piece of fencing to the gate and have it going over the gate and in at an angle to keep the goat from jumping over a gate. I secured the fencing to the gate with heavy duty zip ties. Hot wire works if they know it’s there and the fear of shock is higher than the fear of being confined. It’s worked well for my boys until earlier this week.😞Sometimes goats do better with a few things to keep them occupied. If you have bushes or leaves they like, you can put some in the pen on top of something (a bush, on a platform mounted to a tree stump) or in the hay feeder. My Nubians like having two hay feeders on nice days. Some goats like to jump on things and can be kept entertained that way. Some goats like all their feet on the ground. A larger pen is better than a small pen. Just sit in there with her. Interact with the kid. Get closer and closer each time you visit. Always end it positive or neutral. Don’t leave if she recoils from you. If she smells your hand, count that as a win. She should get used to you doing things soon. If she eats crackers, grain, leaves, or alfalfa out of you hand or even near you, that is a win! You can also restrain her and tie her to something and pet her until she calms down. I like collars on my goats to help me grab them, and they learn I am not reaching to hurt them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts