I need the 411 on CAE please - I'm hearing different things

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Cinder, Nov 25, 2008.

1. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    First how exactly is CAE transferred? I know it's through milk and I think through blood but I've also heard some people say through saliva and some say not.

If I bring a 3 yr. old wether here that was bottle raised but has not been CAE tested (that we can find) is he a danger to my CAE free herd? Should I have him tested before bringing him here?

2. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    My opinion is that it is very unlikely for it to be transferred from an adult goat to another. But if you want to be totally safe it would probably be a good idea to test him before he comes on your place.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    If at all in doubt...have him tested prior.... :)

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    the only way that anyone is POSITIVE that CAE is transmitted is through the milk --- I guess blood would be a way too but that would be more difficult to accomplish.

5. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

CAE cannot live outside of the body a very long time. Sort of like AIDS in people. The most commen way is through milk. A grown animal can transmit it to another animal byt butting heads or having some sort of other open wound, but both goats have to have an open wound. This way is extremly rare. I know people that keep their CAE positive does with their negative does only during the off season.
    I had nearly an entire years worth of kids test positive for CAE. I got rid of every single animal that from that year. Its been six years and everyone is still negative. I do have a five year old doe out of one of those kids that tested positive. But she has tested negative six different times at four different labs.
    I have never heard of it being transmitted through breeding. But i have heard of animals converting from negative to positive. Though who knows if the first test was a false negative that turned into a positive the next year.
    Personally i dont take very many chances anymore. i bleach pens at shows before my animals go into them when they come off the trailer at home i have a large pan of bleach water on the ground that they walk through, they get quarenteened for a couple of days. i put boards up between my animals and neighboring animals. At fairs i put the feed stall on one end and the tack stall on the other end. Having the milk stand on the side where my animals are. This way they dont come in contact with others. In the ring i try to go in first or go in behind someone that i know has a negative herd.
    So far something im doing has worked. We have been negative for several years now. A lady that i sold a few animals to last winter just posted that her entire herd is negative.
    beth