The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a couple of my does need to be copper bulloused. Their tails tips are looking a little bare. I have the bullous but am nervous about giving to much. I have copasure. Not sure how to get them to take it.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
First dont be nervous, it takes so much copper this way to kill them, it releases slowly so its not a big bang going into their system, but yeah, I have been in your shoes and had to think about it for 6 months before I did it lol. I think its 1gr per 22lbs to give, to be honest, I dont even weigh any more I just fill the thing up and give it to them. If you go to tractor supply they have a small balling gun you can use, I have tried every idea anyone has come up with but nothing has worked for me other then the balling gun. If you go the way of balling gun and your like be it will take a few trys, it helps if you hold their head way up when you shove it down, they also say to use water but that for me just seemed to make things worse.

·
Super Moderator
58,933 Posts
I cut the tip off of a 3 cc syringe and pour the copper wire particles in there. I dose at 1cc per 60 lbs. Then I put a dab of Probios on the end to hold the rods in. Put the syringe in the back of their mouth and push the plunger and hold their mouth closed.

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
I was so nervous too when I needed to bolus..Had my copper in the frig for a year!!!! Some articles make you feel like you will kill them on the spot..but as Jessica84 said, it takes an aweful lot to give them copper toxcity.... I used to do the capsuls too and did ok with them..then I started doing it how Karen shared..very easy...you do have to cut the entire tip off the syring and the probio paste holds the rods in...I follow it with a water chaser : ) done this twice so far..with good success

·
Registered
402 Posts
I was so nervous too when I needed to bolus..Had my copper in the frig for a year!!!! Some articles make you feel like you will kill them on the spot..but as Jessica84 said, it takes an aweful lot to give them copper toxcity.... I used to do the capsuls too and did ok with them..then I started doing it how Karen shared..very easy...you do have to cut the entire tip off the syring and the probio paste holds the rods in...I follow it with a water chaser : ) done this twice so far..with good success
Do the unused copper boluses have to be stored in the fridge until needed again? We just bolused our goats and had quite a bit of them left over and are not sure how to store them to be good for next time.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I just bolused my goats and tried the balling gun(although it was calf size) and they spit it out.....I then tried sticking the bolus in the end of the probios tube since it fits perfectly and they were still able to spit it out! I then got a pet piller(long and skinny)....stuck the bolus in the end and shoved it down.....worked great! So now I'm just waiting to see some results!

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay that helps me feel better. I Did my buck and a wether in January. I tried using a 10cc bent neck syringe. The rods didn't come out easy and it was difficult to get it in them. I actually felt better that it all didn't go inn because it was my first time. I have never bolused my girls.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
I cut the tip off of a 3 cc syringe and pour the copper wire particles in there. I dose at 1cc per 60 lbs. Then I put a dab of Probios on the end to hold the rods in. Put the syringe in the back of their mouth and push the plunger and hold their mouth closed.
Now how come I didn't hear about this method? It sound MUCH easier than what I did- I had to weigh out the rods for each goat on a very iffy scale we have that's supposed to measure grams, but seems to only work if you're doing something much heavier than 3-4 grams at a time.:rolleyes: Then I had to mash up bananas, mix the rods with that, and give each goat their individual dose without the others gobbling it up, and the young ones who had never had banana before didn't know what to think of it, so I had to cut off a syringe, stuff bits of banana and rods into it, squirt it down their throats, refill and repeat until the goat had their whole dose. We only had little syringes, so it took quite a while- and it was really hot! :)

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
I use the small balling gun too. Like Jessica, I tried the other methods and my goats thought it was hilarious, but never even came close to swallowing any copper rods. I squirt a little Probios paste in the balling gun chamber, then put the bolus in. then I smear a little Probios on and around the end of the gun. I feel like it lubricates things and the taste helps them swallow. That and the paste keeps the bolus from falling out in the ensuing ruckus. I've gotten pretty good at it. I still don't like doing it. You have to get it aways down their throat. It was a trial and error thing how far.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
this is a GREAT idea. I will be doing this next time I need to bolus.

I mushed bananas and mixed the rods in, and then drenched them with that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts