I need to know how can I get my goats have enuff of calcium?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by myfavgoats, Nov 14, 2007.

1. myfavgoats

myfavgoats New Member

Oct 8, 2007
    Hi... The reason I am asking becuz I DO NOT have alfalfa hay. I am using brome mixture with timothy hay.. And I want to make sure my does have enuff calcium becuz they will have their babies by Between the end of Jan to end of March.. So Please let me know. My goats will not eat anything off of my hand. I am trying to figure the another way around to put in their feed so they can eat it up.. Thank u so much. Let me know..

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I just use a good loose mineral. along with some Sea Kelp.
    Now I know I am going to get some different opinions on this, but have Cotton Seed meal. I have had it for years, and I never new if I should feed it or not, so I talked to Vicki, (I know some of you know who I am talking about, it is another forum). I talked to her and she said she feeds it to her babies, bucks and wethers. I asked about her pregnant and she said she does not because if the milking thing. So I will start feeding it to my does.
    I will post the response if anyone would like to know what she had to say. It was between her and I not on the open forum.

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    If you have loose minerals as well as a goat specific brand of grain then they should be getting all they need....if not try a few tums in each feed dish.

4. susanne

susanne New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    alfa hay might be tricky but i believe your feed store can get alfa pellets. TSC has alfa pellets as well as alfa cubes. you can supplement with beetpulp too.
    there is not enough calcium in minerals. it is very important for pregnant animals to get calcium. deficiency can and will lead to hypoglycemia/milk fever shortly after freshening.

5. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    In the 6 years of kidding her all mine have gotten was mixed grass hay, Caprine Challeger goat feed and loose minerals.....never ever had a case of milk fever or hypocacemia. I just recently started to give them the tums every so often, just because. I do on occasion break up the alfalfa cubes into pieces they can manage and give them a handful once in awhile...so apparently my goats are getting all they need if they haven't had "issues" :p

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    For years I never used a mineral or alfafa hay or pellets. Calcium deficency is rare and it takes a great deal to make a goat deficent. This is just my personal experience.

I did this past year give tums through pregnancy but I didn't see any difference in the outcome. All my goats kidded and raised kids without issues just like all the years before.

7. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Like Stacey said Calcium defficiancy is rare. but it can happen. During thepregnancy i cut my girls back on grain and add more calsium to their diet. My goats get a straigh local orchard grass hay mix. Not a lot of calcium however the do have free chice alfafa pellets. they work just as well if no better there isnlt as much waiste.
    beth

8. susanne

susanne New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    my does are normal sized dairy goats that are milking a good amount of milk for ten month to come. i can imagine that the requirements for dwarf goats are different.
    i feed alfa for the calcium they need. this fits in my management just fine. :D

9. susanne

susanne New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    dwarf goats have a different needs than normal sized dairy goats i guess.

10. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I had dairy goats for 9 years.

11. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    We have heavy milking LaManchas and during the winter we have them on grass hay and a good mineral and we've never had problems with milk fever or calcium deficiency.

12. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I have only had to deal woth calcium deficiancy one time. We had just moved and didn;lt know anyone. It was around eleven at night. Thank god for the gpat talk groups on yahoo. This aws before i found GW or anything else.
    beth