I really don't like the part where they leave

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by elchivito, Jul 7, 2010.

1. elchivito

elchivito Active Member

Apr 18, 2010
    Call me a sap, a sucker, an old softy. Sent my first two of ten babies home with their new owner today. One is a bottle baby from my doe who nearly died. He's going to be a buck, a real special, mellow and very spoiled little dude. I got really attached to him. I don't know how you can't get attached to bottle babies. I always second guess myself as they're driving away. Did I screen the new owners well enough? Are they ready? Will they give these babies the lives they deserve? I always end up bawling my eyes out, even with the ones I'm desperate to see gone. I really don't like this part and never will.

2. zoomom

zoomom New Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Haven't been thru it yet, but i don't think i would like it either. That is why i never did rescue for the Irish setter club, i would end up with multiple dogs b/c i wouldnt' be able to give them up.

3. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    You can't use sucker. That's my name. Just ask my vet. :p As for them leaving...(clears throat and looks at down while toeing at the ground) That's why I still have 4 extra goats....

4. DebMc

DebMc Member

Dec 10, 2009
    I'd call you a caring, responsible breeder. Based on what you wrote, I would bet your babies are all going to the best homes available. So pat yourself on the back and put on a happy face. :)

I understand how you're feeling. I am having to rehome my Angoras and parting with them is tearing me apart. One went to their new home a week or so ago and the other two will be joining her tomorrow. I do find comfort in knowing they are going to a wonderful new home where they will be pampered silly and appreciated for all their qualities (utility, beauty and heritage). But it still hurts, and I will still miss them.

Deb Mc

5. elchivito

elchivito Active Member

Apr 18, 2010
    It's looking like I'm gonna end up in that situation this year too with 2 or 3. For some reason the boys always manage to endear themselves the most. It's as if they intuitively KNOW they're not valued as highly as the girls and have to work overtime to make you love them...

6. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Awww, I am so sorry, I can imagine it being hard. I agree, your not a sucker, your just a caring, loving, responsible goat owner :)
    We haven't gone through the part of selling off kids yet, but I did have to sell our rescued doe yesterday, and it was heartbreaking. Seeing her watching us as she left, that sad look on her face.... bites my conscious like crazy right now.

7. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I am right there with you. I have never sold a bottle baby and I could not.

What I have learned to do is pick the ones I will keep, play and really get attached to them, and I can not even really mess with the ones I am selling because it kills me.

I cry with every goat that leaves here, and it has been going on for 9 years now.

8. Nubiansrus1

Nubiansrus1 New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Oh I soooo know how you feel. I never get used to them leaving. Sometimes I just wish that Id never know how they do. Ive had bad news come back to me about a few kids. Even had a few end up back on craiglist. Had a buck I held back from my buck, he didnt turn out like I wanted him to, and well when we moved we didnt have the room for three bucks [I kept another of my bucks kids this year, that represented him better] So I rehomed the other, saw him on craiglist last night, a month after they bought. :( Breaks my heart... but we cant keep them all. I know this... do the best you can to find them great homes, and find comfort in that you did your best by the kids... though i can hardly talk.... I had a la mancha doe have her first kids this year, soooo wanted a doeling from her. She had a buckling... we bottle feed, my daughter fell in love.. shes 7, so yeah I have a wether I dont really need lol Sorry for babbling.

9. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    Its is always really hard for me too....i sold a bottle baby as meat and hated myself for it :(

10. elchivito

elchivito Active Member

Apr 18, 2010
    I sent another home yesterday and it was a bit easier. He's going to be a pal for a solo wether that this couple rescued. He's got a huge pasture, well fenced, a nice barn that he'll share with their rescued horse and wether. They sent pics this morning and he's doing fine. The two that upset me so bad are doing well, she sent pics also. In addition, I offered them a great price on another doe and wether. Told her she couldn't have the doe if she didn't take the wether and made the case to her that her little buck would need a buddy when he's big enough to need to be separate. She called today and said they'd take them both, so my son and I are going to deliver them next week. I'll get a chance to see my little bottle buck one more time, which may or may not be a good idea. Maybe I'll just send my son on second thought!

11. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    Oh how on earth to deal with this? I've always dreaded the day when I would have to watch one leave. At first this spring the DH said I could keep all of the does born this year, now he's saying I have to sell at least one or two for financial reasons :tears: I am so attached to my little pygoras - all of them really. I'd rather sell my truck for $ instead!

12. elchivito

elchivito Active Member

Apr 18, 2010
    We delivered the other two yesterday to the gal who bought the first two. My little buck buddy saw us get out of the car and came right to the fence, happy to see us. The babies recognized each other and immediately started playing and charging around the pasture. They've got a great place there so I felt much better having the four of them together. Now the buck's got a wether pal he knows and was born with and the doe has a girlfriend too. I feel much better about it. Three more to go and I'm done this year.