The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today one of my goats could have killed me as I was sitting on my porch petting one of the other goats. He rammed my third and fourth rib. It hurts to breath. He could have killed be if I had not put my arms out and pushed him away. I love Billy but it is now time to say good bye. He has just turned into a hazard to me, my family, and my other animals.

He started his decline with head butting my dog in his ribs hard. He did this to every one of our dogs. Each time I would have to pull him off them and lock him up because he would start going for them again. Then it came to him seeking out my chickens and ramming them same thing had to be done. I guess I really pissed him off since he started coming for me. Normally this would be no problem as with a quick no and a tug of the ear would work. That worked for his twin brother. He never learned that it was a no no he just only learned where to hit me to take me down. I have bad knees and there are days were it is a little troublesome to go out and take care of the outside animals. If I am stand or sitting in a chair he goes straight for them.

I have given him a least ten chances because I do love him and it would be sad to separate the brothers. I just can't do it. I want him to have a home where he is happy not where he feels the need to defend himself from things that have never hurt him. I will miss him and I am sure his brother and adopted brother will too but it is for the best. I really have no clue whether to just start crying my eyes out or just scream. I really hate having to get rid of animals.

·
Registered
30,614 Posts
awe Im so sorry...but you are doing the right thing..sometimes when we have them so close to heart they forget the bounderies and respect...I bet in his new home he will do just fine...I know it doesn't make it feel better...but for his sake its a good choice..hugs...feel better soon

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I am calling the breeder I got him from and offering him back to her first then the search for his new home will start and everyone will be happier in the long run.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
well, i feel your pain. but are doing the right thing even if he is a nigerian dwarf. i know when we had dairy cattle my father would never let us make "pets" of the bulls because "ITS ALWAYS THE PET BULLS THAT KILL SOMEONE" so while we made sure the bulls were handleable they were never pets.

·
Banned
988 Posts
He would prolly do good in a new home. Maybe find him one that wants to use him as a breeder. When I went to look at the buck I bought he was very pushy an didn't want you to pet him he just wanted to push you around an be hateful. We brought him home an put him with the girls an now he just comes up to be scratched between the horns. Good luck!!

·
I'm not addicted - I'm in love!
5,018 Posts
Oh, I am sorry! :( :( :( Is he a buck? If so, he should be wethered.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I dont mean to sound blunt, but why in the heck was he out of a pen with the animals after the first time he butted one of the dogs?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He is a wether. He is going back back to the breeder today. Rev144 the goats have a barn and with supervision he gets to come out. The goats area is our backyard where all the outside animals live and where the dogs do their business.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts