I REALLY need some help with this one

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by heathersboers, Jan 22, 2010.

1. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    OK- I am mad!! I mead so PO'd its not funny...I really need some opinions- I feel as if i am being taken advantage of... heres what happened.

My hubby and I met a breeder who had 4 small bucks for sale that he really needed gone. he also had a grown buck that he had tied to a tree-to keep him from getting with his does. i asked him what he wanted for them-all 5-He said $500-whick breaks down to $400 for the grown buck and $100 for the small ones-and he wanted to breed about 4 does to my buck Wildman as part of the deal for the small ones-so I agreed -so we go back-I pay them $200 of the $500 and take the 5 bucks home-all of them die within 2 weeks except the grown ones- i even sold one and he died 2 days later and had to pay the buyer his money back!!!The man I bought them from says he's sorry about that.And it wasnt his fault :oops: he breeds about 12 does to Wildman-not the 5 we agreed upon(i found this out when we picked Wildman back up)he was also wormy and not fed properly-We still have 1 of the bucks-the grown one - I called him up and told him that he could have the buck back since I couldnt even sell him to get the $300-after all -the other 4 I got from him died. he said we may just run him to a sale and get what we can and call it even...I thought this was fair..... He calls today and said he will take the buck back if I let him breed to Trax-our other sire- His fee is $200 per doe live cover-and he wants to breed 4 to him-I said no way- he said my other option is that he will take the buck back -if I give him a registered doe ( the one he picked out-I paid $400 for)- I feel that since all 4 bucks died and he bred 12 does to Wildman instead of the 5 we agreed upon. that we are pretty even-considering he gets his buck back-He is now saying that only 3 of the does bred to Wildman took-He was with them a month, and he has no way to tell if they took or not besides looking at them.. Is it me and my pregnancy hormones,or does this just seem wrong??? What should I do???

2. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Does that ever stink or what!? Im so sorry the bucklings, but in my mind you paid & from the sounds of it I would never let another buck go there or even do driveway breedings for this guy.
    You are done with him.

3. Idahodreamer

Idahodreamer Senior Member

kick his ass goodbye. I would never deal with him again!! In fact, I would warn other people not to deal with him!! That is just plain rotten!! You definitely should be getting your money back for the bucklings you paid for. :(

4. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    Thanks!- I mentioned that I thought we were even -even though I owe him $300-he did breed more does to my buck that supposed to, and the kids I bought died- I am willing to give him the grown buck back for the $300 I dont have in cash- I was planning on selling the small bucks to pay for him and keep the grown one to breed with. I guess Im out of the kids and the grown buck-He has been going around talking crap about me-Im not gonna stoop to his level- I just feel so cheated-IDK??

5. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    It sounds like he's trying to get over on you...

I would probably just try to sell the buck you got from him for whatever you can and then pay the difference out of pocket of the $300 you "owe"...Then never speak to this guy again...it really sounds like he's out to take advantage of people...and really, who needs that in their life? I would not try to negotiate any more...just get him the money and tell him not to contact you ever again.

6. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    Thanks for the info- I guess I can take the buck to the sale- he should bring about $150 Im guessing. I have tried to sell him locally, but he isn't what I was told he was. His kids look horrible.. I guess Ill just cough up the $$$- they knew I was pregnant and gave me no time limit on paying the money-said-no hurry-now I am 33 weeks and money is tight- I think Id be better off just getting it over with...

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Oh No........ :hug: If he bred more does ...than was agreed upon ......in my book he should owe you...... I would charge him stud fee.. for the extra does he bred........was there a written contract or verbal.... he broke his end of the contract... I also would not give him... the stud service memo for those extra does... that were bred... He is taken way over advantage, and wants way to much from you... I am so sorry.. :hug:

8. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    I agree with Pam. You got rooked bad. He owes YOU. Sell that wormy buck of his and keep the money. Ugh.

9. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    agree with pam

gosh. thats bad!

10. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    Yep-he was really wormy- Wildman was wormy coming home too- I havent had to worm Wildman in over a year-until I got him back-he is very worm resistant.I guess he has a worm overload there. I asked him for the does reg # that Wildman bred and he said he didnt know. he doesnt keep up with his paperwork-He wants me to give him open service memos-I dont think so.... Its just a big mess! I would feel bad just outright selling the buck and keeping the money. I try to be as fair as possible. there was a written contract on me owing the $500 for the 5 bucks and them using Wildman-it also has that I paid $200 on them. but no # of does to be serviced.That was verbal. It broke down to $400 for the grown buck and $100 for the small ones +breeding to Wildman.

11. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I seriously think I would just tell this guy to get lost. He's costed you a lot of $$ I wouldn't even consider paying him. He is a liar, he downright knew he wasn't going to breed just those five does and that's a bunch of bogus that only three took. After a month of living there I bet all those does are bred. You need to charge him for every breeding service on those does and deduct the owed money... He probably owes you right now.

12. pennylullabelle

pennylullabelle New Member

I would give the buck back...he doesn't sound like he is worth anything anyway...and ask for the additional $100 he owes you on the mature buck. So, it works out that you paid as the contract said - $100 for the bucklings. Even they all dies, which is BS, but you may not have any leverage there. I'd say you have leverage with the buck though. Tell him you will give him the buck back, take your $100, and you won't provide any service memos until he gives you the $100. You need to be fair, of course. I agree. I treat people as I want to be treated. But there comes a point where you are getting so grossly taken advantage of that you have to take a stand. I'd give the buck, demand the $100, and not give ANY memos until he paid you back.

It sounds like...his poor record keeping...would mean who knows what you are getting from him! He probably doesn't even register correctly. He would have 12 does PG by another buck and say they are out of yours for added value. I know some breeders do crappy things like that. They don't cre about the breed, just $....So frustrating!!

13. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    what I would do is if he wants more then the agreed upon service memos then he needs to pay for them AND you put the date marks on the breeding memos -- like the weeks he was there like December 1st through January 1st

THat way he gets what he wants, you get paid for the extra breedings and then all is set.

14. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    I called him and he said he will not pay for the extra breedings-they didnt take, and he was supposed to use my buck to breed whatever he wanted to use him for and I still owe him. Unless he can come up with some reg #'s -I guess he just won't get any service memos....

15. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    sounds like a good plan to me -- he is scamming you thats the terrible part of it

16. Idahodreamer

Idahodreamer Senior Member

Seriously, I would be spitting bullets by now. What a nasty individual he is.

17. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    You know what the bad thing is?? We are the ones who taught him how to take care of his goats. They were all dead looking last year-so we gave him advice on worming and such- he didnt send in any reg papers and didnt know anything about that- so again we helped with that also. We have tried to be friends with him, and help any way we can- His goats look OK now, he should worm them better, but they are better than seeing dead ones 2 at the time while visiting. he also wanted me to build him a website- in trade for some does-he said "we'll work something out"-Every time I try to work something out- I get the raw end of the deal-I was trying to help get his genetics better, and get some paints by letting him use Wildman-but now he wants to use our main herdsire to be satisfied- i guess he feels like his goats should be as good as ours. I agree-but with the proper care, and making friends. It is hard work getting the best out of your goats and takes YEARS!! It also costs lots of money- we have $5000 in our main herdsire-he is NOT leaving our property... I guess we lost a friend today... :(

18. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

Awwwww thats super sad..... This guy isnt cool! Not at all!

19. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Well, he can have fun with his grade goats then. I guess...he sounds like the type that might forge your signature on a service memo. You may want to contact the registry and tell them this guy did not get any service memos from me and if he tries to send something in that they are forged signatures. ;) This guy is frustrating me..I can only imagine how you must feel.

20. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    how frustrating!
    i agree with kw on contacting registries.