The Goat Spot Forum banner

81 - 97 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Yeah Im not sure on feed, I would personally say if she is hungry let her eat. (Provided shes warm and her rumens and feces are moving good. I also wouldnt rush her back to fast like the others said but let her sort of build her self up. Maybe apples here?

·
Registered
468 Posts
She will let you know what she can tolerate. I'd go slow on reintroducing her regular feed. She's still gonna need daily support and nutrition, but baby steps first, build slowly. Did she stand up on her own? It's amazing what a difference 24 hours can sometimes make! But, within 24 hours it can go the other way too. Keep up the good work! You're doing great!

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I am so happy she is standing! What is her name?

I wouldn't give grain yet. Alfalfa pellets are good. I would give a mix of 2 parts alfalfa pellets and 1 part beet pulp pellets. Introduced slowly of course and can be soaked in water to make a mush if the goat doesn't like chewing up the pellets.

What kind of hay is she eating?

Keep up the daily anemia treatments (I put all the info in previous posts) until her FAMACHA is at safe levels. Could take at least a couple months.

Did you deworm her with anything?

Keep us updated and I hope she continues to improve!

Reactions: JML Farms

·
Registered
29,973 Posts
This is so good to see. I'm glad she rallied for you. I agree to wait on grain a few more days perhaps, then do so slowly. But do offer all the browse foods you can gather for her to have variety along with alfalfa, hay and quality loose minerals. Keep up the other treatment until she's out of the woods. Make sure she drinks plenty. And i would give daily probiotics as well

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
I have given her iron, b complex, probiotics, nutri drench and lots of water some mixed with ACV today. She has a small dish of mineral to lick where she's been resting in my living room. She's been eating hay and I took her outside for a little bit by herself to see if she wanted to nibble. I stayed with her the entire time just in case she got weak.
IMG_1614108521.539415.jpg

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
Yesterday she took a turn for the worse and her diarrhea has returned. Nothing I am doing is stopping it this time. She’s very weak again and can’t stand up on her own. And can only walk a few steps if I get her up. I have been continuing everything.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Have you tried a little bit of pepto, I think I have seen dosing here. I would also try to get some of the prior Cayenne, possibly some Garlic. I wonder if the medicine is throwing her off a little bit. Id like to defer to one of the others but these would a couple of things I would do.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Yesterday she took a turn for the worse and her diarrhea has returned. Nothing I am doing is stopping it this time. She's very weak again and can't stand up on her own. And can only walk a few steps if I get her up. I have been continuing everything.
Can you list everything you are doing?

Is she eating/drinking?

For the diarrhea I would give this ASAP: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/bimeda-spectogard-scour-chek-240-ml
Dosage is 6ml a day for 3 days.

You can also try 10-20 ml of liquid Pepto Bismol every 4-6 hours to help with scours.

Probiotics twice a day (we mix the powder with water and drench it). Give it a couple hours after you give the scour chek, not at the same time

Take her temperature at least once a day. (Normal is 101.5-103.5 F)

Make sure she has electrolytes and water available to drink at all times. If she stops drinking she will need to be tubed or given sub-q fluids.

Make sure she only has hay available (alfalfa pellets are fine because they are just pelleted hay). Green leaves (like oak or sugar maple but you can look up others) are also very beneficial

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
We took poop from every other goat to the vet to see if there was anything like liver flukes or barber pole. They saw worms but nothing that would cause anemia. I’m gonna deworm the herd. But I’m glad I’m not fighting one of the parasites I was worried about with the rest of my goats

81 - 97 of 97 Posts