I think I have my first intersex kid?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Dayna, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Dayna

Dayna Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2012
    Keaau Hawaii
    Any opinions? I thought it was a buckling when it was born because I didn't see a vulva. Today I saw it squatting like a girl to pee so I took a closer look. Its not a penis and its not a vagina. There is two darker spots where the testicles would be.

Thoughts? Suggestions on what the heck to do with this little one?

Do you think it was a bad pairing? Doe is polled, Sire homozygous polled I believe. Every kid he's fathered has been polled regardless of the horn status of the doe.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Ranger1

Ranger1 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2014
    Looks intersex to me...

3. minibarn

minibarn Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2010
    ontario canada
    Interesting! It does look strange! I haven't had any intersex here but sure looks like that might be what you've got. From what I've read chances are higher that this will happen when you breed polled to polled. I would raise it to market weight and then send for meat.

4. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Interesting. Could be a pet or meat.

5. Dayna

Dayna Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2012
    Keaau Hawaii
    Its a nigi, haha but I can still raise it for meat I think. I don't want to sell or give away as a pet because I don't want anything less than good and healthy goats ever leaving my farm. Hopefully as it ages it doesn't do buck things and smell. Thanks everyone. This one is a curious little thing! I named it Scotty and I think its boy enough to keep that name. :)

SalteyLove and minibarn like this.
  6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Does the kid have a rectum?

7. lottsagoats1

lottsagoats1 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Middle Maine
    Certainly looks odd in the rectum department also, doesn't it? If you look close, I think there is an opening, it's just maybe kind of pushed shut by the way the kid is being held?

Definitely a hermie. My 1 and only hermie was one of quads, 3 does 1 buck. Ok, 2 does, 1 buck and an it. No polled genetics on either parents side.

toth boer goats likes this.
  8. Dayna

Dayna Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2012
    Keaau Hawaii
    Yes, the rectum is fully functional.

toth boer goats likes this.
  9. Dayna

Dayna Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2012
    Keaau Hawaii
    This kid is... 3 weeks old I think? I'd have to look. I guess that doesn't say a lot of good things about me that I just noticed this!

10. Dayna

Dayna Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2012
    Keaau Hawaii
    What did you end up doing with it?

11. Goatzrule

Goatzrule Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    New England
    I used to have an intersex, yours seems to be more male than female. Great for telling whos in heat

12. Dayna

Dayna Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2012
    Keaau Hawaii

Since I don't keep wethers, I don't think I'd keep him around. I will likely grow him out and butcher.

Goat_Scout likes this.
  13. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  14. Graffogefarms

Graffogefarms Member

Oct 11, 2007
    ireland
    Had one years ago - named Gypsy- we didn't know when we got her, but she was HUGE and made a great harness goat. She had no uterus, we did the internal exam, etc with the vet.

15. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    We had one years ago, a quad 1 doe, 3 bucks so we knew the odds were against her. She looked like a 'her' until about 3mo, and started looking masculine. Vulva took on a weird shape, felt something in the cavity where scrotum should be, and teats were itty bitty teats. Was sad because she was growing awesome and we'd already registered her at that point for my daughter to show. So sad. We sold her to a couple of people who said they'd 'save her' from the meat man! Promised me they'd get her a buddy. Then I heard back that no, her buddy was their dog. No fence and even though they were way out in the country, the goat & dog took road trips looking for other goats.

So no.. I won't go that route again in the event we ever had another like that. It would have to go for meat... Unless a farm truly wanted it as a teaser.

16. Dayna

Dayna Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2012
    Keaau Hawaii
    that is exactly my fear. I dislike selling goats in general, but to sell a subpar one or just rehome it, makes me worry about its life. So I think that nails down the decision for me. It might be a nigi but it'll be for meat.

17. Goatzrule

Feb 7, 2013
    New England
    Itd be cool to see his reproductive organs

18. Dayna

Dayna Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2012
    Keaau Hawaii
    I will for sure take pictures of that during butchering. I'm always very curious about these things. I butchered a rabbit buck once with ovaries. So that was super interesting. But in rabbits its more common I think.

toth boer goats and Goat_Scout like this.
  19. Goatzrule

Feb 7, 2013
    New England
    theres a facebook group called Livestock Born Differently and sometimes they will buy the organs or (dead) animal for their research project

Goat_Scout likes this.
  20. Goatzrule

Feb 7, 2013
    New England
    You should add him to the kidding tally