I think I love LaManchas...

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Amos, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    Ok, so I got some LaManchas kind of on a whim yesterday!

The two older girls 'Folly' and 'Sheila' are SOOOO darned sweet!! WHY didn't I have LaManchas long ago?! I love them!!! But don't tell my Nubians I said that! LOL.

Anyway, I know nothing about LaMancha lines.. I know Kastdemur's are good lines, but besides that I'm clueless. If anyone knowledgeble would let me know what they think, here are their pedigrees;

http://www.adgagenetics.org/GoatDetail. ... L001401497
    http://www.adgagenetics.org/GoatDetail. ... L001411623
    http://www.adgagenetics.org/GoatDetail. ... L001529533
    And the buck;
    http://www.adgagenetics.org/GoatDetail. ... L001521415

There is one more young purebred that I'm waiting for papers on, and two young crosses from both of the older does.

I'm really enjoying them so far, I can milk Folly and Sheila on the ground without really having to even tie them up (I don't have a milk stand for the quarantine pen).

2. xymenah

xymenah Member with a bahhh

Jul 1, 2011
    Mount Olive, NC
    Haha :hi5: they have converted yet another. LaMancha's are great and I absolutely adore mine. Before I met my first LaMancha I loved Toggenburgs but now? The LaMancha is my passion and I have shown other people around me how great they can be and they love them now too. Congrats on your new girls. Post lots of pictures of them for us.

3. sblueram6

sblueram6 New Member

Nov 19, 2009
    whot no pic . well i never .
    we love our no ears.

4. Congrats! Can't wait to see photos.

5. goatfarmergirl

goatfarmergirl New Member

Jul 2, 2011
    Bealeton,va
    i love lamanchas. i have three of them. A doe, a doeling, and a buckling.my doeling can shake hooves with me. :greengrin:

6. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    I guess I'll have to go out and get some photos taken... Nothing fancy as they're in the rough and need some conditioning, and I'm not going to shave them.. It's in the 40's here. The buck has a small scur on one side, and a grown horn about 7-8 inches long on the other, so I need to get rid of that some time..

7. Goat Song

Goat Song Senior Member who ain't so Senior

May 4, 2011
    Oregon
    :ROFL: I TOLD YOU SO!!! Once you have a La Mancha of your own, you're done for. :p I like the looks of their pedigrees; lots of Tempo, South-Fork, and Kickapoo. All really nice lines. :)

Now: Pictures. Please!

8. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    Real funny Caitlyn!
    I'm assuming Tempo, Southfork, and Kickapoo is good? Kickapoo is ringing a bell for some reason..

9. Goat Song

Goat Song Senior Member who ain't so Senior

May 4, 2011
    Oregon
  10. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    I don't think it's possible not to love them! :) Congrats on the new goats! I am not an expert on pedigrees but those are nice lines. :)

11. Breezy-Trail

Breezy-Trail Senior Member

Sep 16, 2011
    Sprakers, New York
    I also like the lamanchas. I started with the goal of raising saanens..but they are too plain. The lamanchas have much more personality. I will be keeping only toggs and lamanchies.

They are also very funny and ofc cute.Like my doe likes to tug at my shirt and cuddle me(trying to help me do the darn chores) also if my boxers are ever showing she would tug at that too LOL

12. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    I love lamanchas too. I had a beautiful doe years ago that was a real sweetheart. They are rare in my area so that is one reason I don't raise them. I know that there would not be a market for excess kids. Unfortunately some don't care for the lack of ears but I love the look especially on the kids. Maybe someday I will get a nice girl just for my own pleasure. I am happy for you

13. RMADairyGoats

RMADairyGoats New Member

Jun 19, 2011
    Colorado
    I also love LaManchas!!! :love: I'm getting my first this spring!! :wahoo: :stars: :dance: I can also tell you that you have some very nice lines!!!! :drool: South Fork is not to far away from us and they have AWESOME LaManchas! You should check their website out. Tempo also have wonderful animals! You did awesome!

14. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    Thanks everyone, and thanks LP! I noticed Evian and cooled her up... Equivalent of Temerity, just another breed! Whoo. Lol.

15. luvmyherd

luvmyherd Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2011
    NorCal
    Our very first goats ever, back in the early 80's were LaManchas. We did not even know what they were. Just some earless goats we found at an auction for $20 each.
    Yeah, ours was named Missie, short for Mischief, and thought she was a reindeer the way she could fly over a fence. (She is also the one who managed to fall up four feet into the pool.)
    Anywho, we got some mixes and a Saneen and the Nubians.
    Now, I love my long eared, Roman nosed beauties. And I love my dear Toggenburgs. But....................we kind of have a long term plan to go traveling in 2.5-3 years. We are old and want to travel before it is too late.
    Long story shorter, we will have to get rid of what we have now and start fresh after our travels. What are we thinking of trying?!? LaManchas!!!!!!
    Congratulations. :laugh:

16. Paige

Paige Senior Member

Oct 14, 2010
    ohio
    Lamanchas are great! :love: Glad you like yours!

17. thomaskids

thomaskids New Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Menifee, Ca
    Ya, those are all great lines tempo really big...Kastdemurs of course...Tach Lach is one of the most influential Lamancha sires ever!!!!!! Keep your first girl for sure!!!!!