The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been driving my babies 3 round trip every time I have some born. I've been having it done usually at 3 days -a week old. For a while I was making a trip to have it done every week. I took a couple to the vet in the beginning but I was charged I think $35 the first time and $50 the second time . The vet didnt burn them he scooped them and when I returned to pick up my babies they were bleeding everywhere and the carrier was bloody also so I said never again! I was able to find a nice lady to do them for me for $10 each but its so far to drive over and over again. I would like to do it myself now . The lady that does them for me has me hold them in my lap and I hold the head and cover their eyes. She burns a few seconds and then pops the skin and bud off then burns again if there is a lil bleeding. But videos I've looked at they just burn until there is a copper ring. I'm confident that I can do the burning

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It's the popping the skin and bud off that scares me. So what I want to know is is it really necessary to do that or is it ok to just burn until I get a copper ring? Here are pics from the kid I had done yesterday

·
I'm not addicted - I'm in love!
5,018 Posts
Great! Once you get to the point where you can truthfully say, "I'm ready," it's not that bad. I've only done it a few times and it was a breeze (all things considered) every time. I do a much cleaner, quicker, better job than the vet. The first time, you may have to print out instructions and have them right beside you, but you'll memorize the process pretty quickly.
I'm not sure if the copper ring works; I've heard it doesn't with Nigerians - you have to go all the way to the white and pop the cap off. Here's the method I have used. http://glimmercroft.com/Disbudding.html
I have never used a disbudding box; my vet used one, but I think the towel is more comfortable for the kids, and I feel like I have more control.
Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
58,933 Posts
You may end up having to reburn. Maybe it is the picture but I don't see a copper ring. But great job on just doing it. Looks good. Time will tell if they grow or not. As you do more you will get better and it won't be so bad to do.

Now that I have moved, I will have to do my own. Not looking forward to it but will put on the big girl panties and get it done.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No :)sorry if it sounded that way but I didn't do it. The lady I have do them , did that one yesterday. I was just showing how she does it. So far only one of the buckling kids started growing a scur on one side. I know its time for me to put my big girl panties on too and do it myself....just not looking forward to it in January when the new kids start arriving . I've been trying to find someone closer to do it for me so that I don't have too but not havin any luck :( I'd be a little more confident in doing it if I could get my husband to help but in reality i would prob be better off by myself. He tends to get too nervous and freaks out about every little thing.

·
5,018 Posts
Googling it, I saw that the X30, with 1/2 inch tip, is most universally said to be best, and it's worked well for me. The pygmy tip, despite its name, is too small; and other irons, like the x50, have a tip that doesn't get hot enough.

·
5,018 Posts

·
8,197 Posts
I use the X50 and a box- as I am the only one that does all the disbudding. And, no one around to ever help me! I put a towel under their throats, to
cushion them, put on leather tig welding (kid leather) gloves and do the job. I always pop the horn bud cap off. I initially leave the disbudder on the kid's
head for 12-15 seconds. That is about ideal. Too many on and offs will heat the skull up too much. Leaving it on too long, same thing. I've only had one scur
and that was on a buckling that I waited too long- he was about 10 days old. Usually, I disbud when the buds pop up- 4-6 days old with the Alpines.

It's one of those things that you just have to practice on and get a feel for. The first time is the worst! It helps to have someone experienced to show
you how, the right way! It is hard to cause pain, but in my mind, the goat will have a better life- around here, no one wants a horned Alpine. (and they can't
be shown or in 4-H with horns.).

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
Googling it, I saw that the X30, with 1/2 inch tip, is most universally said to be best, and it's worked well for me. The pygmy tip, despite its name, is too small; and other irons, like the x50, have a tip that doesn't get hot enough.
Yah.. We originally got the Pygmy tip and it was way to small! We realized that when we opened the box lol!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts