I think I've been had

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by keren, Dec 22, 2008.

1. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    So a guy contacted me wanting a reg'd buck and xb doe. I had $400 on the buck and $100 on the doe, which is cheap to start with (the buck by rights should be $500 and the doe $120 but I want to sell them quick). Anyway, he gave me a story about trying to start off with goats and being on a tight budget, he wanted to spend $150 on the buck and $80 on the doe. So I got back to him and said $250 for the pair, but I get a doe kid back. That is ridiculously cheap, anyway he gets back to me and says will I take 200? I said no, nothing under 250 expecting him to walk away, but he gets back to me and says ok then 250 it is. And I was like huh? My gut feeling is he wasnt all that concerned about the price in the first place, just wanted to see how low he could make me go. :( I will make sure I get the doe kid return in writing because I'm feeling like this guy might just conveniently forget ...

Gonna miss my Calamity Jane but I need to sell some ...

2. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    What a stinker!! :roll: Man, that is quite a deal on his part. He better be grateful. You would find out where he lives, right? Definitely get it in writing. . . . but it's nice to make a sale. :)

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    wow, he could lie ......and say down the road...... she only had bucklings or say she died... :shrug: ..If you feel really bad and rather not sale her to this person.It is your right , she still is your goat...I would back out..but that is just me..........I know it is easier said then done.... but he sounds fishy....Even with a contract......................beware.... :hug:

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    can you be the one to deliver the goats? I mean have him pay your costs. Tell him this is standard procedure whenever you have a deal with a kid back. THat way you know where he lives. Get more then one phone number if possible as well.

have it that if he doesnt give you a kid in return he owes you the remainder of the requested amount as the deal you gave him was for a kid back

5. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    yeah you know toth the more I thought about it today the more uncomfortable I was about it all. I like to help out new people and will often sell goats cheap to help them get started, but I didnt like the feel of this. I ended up sending him an email tonight saying that someone came to look at the goats today and offered full price ($400 for the buck and $120 for the doe) and considering that, the goats are no longer for sale. I know, I dont like lying but I also was really not liking the idea of selling to this guy and I think I would have regretted it afterwards.

:shrug: Dont know if I did the right thing, but its done now and I feel a lot better about it.

6. nhsmallfarmer

nhsmallfarmer New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I would of done the same thing if I had uneasy feelings about the whole thing like you did

7. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    thanks Michelle, that makes me feel a little better

:hug:

8. grandmajo

grandmajo New Member

Oct 14, 2008
    Pioneer, Ohio
    I think you did the right thing! I had something similar happen to me a few years ago, with a Dalmatian pup that I had for sale. This guy came to my house, and tried to get me to take less than what I was asking, wanting me to throw the AKC papers in for free, etc, etc, and being very pushy about the sale. I watched him with the dog, and became very uncomfortable with the way that he was handling her. I finally told him that I had somewhere I had to be, so he would leave. When he called back, I told him that she was already sold.

Don't feel bad about what you did, when you get that uncomfortable feeling, it is there for a reason, don't hesitate to follow your instincts.

9. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    OH Keren, I second that you did the right thing. I tell people the price and that is the final price unless they buy more goats. The price goes down per goat NOT total and not as much as you did it.

I am glad that you decided not to sell to him. I look at it if they can not pay the price to purchase that goats then how are they going to take proper care of them? I would be a little worried, getting one doe and one buck? :scratch: How are they going to breed?

I am proud of you :clap:

10. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    I'm too new to this to have issues with selling goats yet but I did want to throw in my 'buyers' side story just in case it helps. I had seen a Nubian due for $200 on Craigslist. I had called and they wouldn't budge on the price, no worries, I didn't have that kinda money so I just left it. About two weeks later I see this same doe with the price reduced to $100 (for a firesale as the owner was having personal issues and was now desperate to get rid of all her goats), so I called. I had the $100 but just wasn't feeling like I should buy her as that money was 'earmarked' for hay for my horses. I liked the lady and she seemed to like me when we talked on the phone. I talked with my family and they all said get the doe. So, I called back and said I'd take her. The lady was very happy and we made arrangements for me to go get the doe in two days. Twenty minutes later she got back to me and apologized saying her daughter had already sold that goat and hadn't told her mom yet. So, that was that.

A week later, the lady calls me and says the sale fell through and was I still interested. I said yes, BUT, I only had $75 now. She said she'd have to talk with her daughter about the price. I understood. A few minutes later my neighbor called and I mentioned the goat and she said she wanted me to buy her and she'd up front the money (she and I are doing the goats together) for the $100. A few minutes later the seller calls me back and says that they'd already cut the price so much they just couldn't take another $25 off. I interrupted her and said, no worries.... I now had the total $100 and wanted to buy her. Two days later I had a new goat.

Now, to this seller lady, I probably looked like someone trying to really haggle over an already great price and take advantage of them. The way things happened could have looked like I was trying to be get her goat for nuthin but that wasn't true at all. I really couldn't pay $100 a week later and my neighbor really did put in the extra money to make sure we got this doe. And it all happened in literally a few minutes time frame.

So, you do need to follow your gut instincts on people but sometimes it's a good person and the situation is just weird.

11. cybercat

cybercat Owner of 4 La Manachas.

Oct 17, 2007
    East Tn
    Some just like to take advantage of women. If you are talking on email he might be reading this forum. Something to think about. Most likly he would not have had the 250 and only 200. Or would not have gotten back to you anyways as he was just playing with you. It happens all the time with net/email contacts.

Tamara, Tn