i think my buck is in love with me, or maybe just lonely

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by byardbabe, Jan 15, 2010.

1. byardbabe

byardbabe Member

Jan 14, 2010
    Jane Lew, WV
    Hi everybody,
    I have recently decided to try my hand at goating. I have 3 Nubian girls and 1 Nubian buck. My buck is kept sepeartely but in close proxcimity to the girls. He has always been very well behaved, but in the last week it seems he has started making googoo eyes at me when I go in to feed him, brush him ect. He starts wagging his tail and running around in circles like he wants to play with me. I want to discourage this behavior but don't know how to do it. Can anybody help me?
    Thanks

2. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    A big stick or 2x4 across the horns works real well.

3. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Squirting with water in the face can deter bad behavior as well.

4. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Not sure if you're serious, but I literally lol'd.

5. byardbabe

byardbabe Member

Jan 14, 2010
    Jane Lew, WV
    Thanks,
    I think i"ll try squirting him with water. I'll let you know how it works.

6. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Ummmm, I was TOTALLY serious. You don't have to hit hard, just hard enough to get the point across that you are off limits. Such play becomes dangerous real fast. The water works for some and so does sitting on them but our buck is persistent but does respect the stick I carry. One time was all it took to get my point across.

7. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    My nigi buck acts the same way....It's not uncommon for me to wack him in the nose because of it. He's with 2 other boys that are good, Not sure if he's doing the antsy dance with me because of the competion or not, a nigi buck is definately easier to handle than a Nubi buck so it would be in your best interest to put a stop to his behavior now :wink:

8. byardbabe

byardbabe Member

Jan 14, 2010
    Jane Lew, WV
    I was wondering, and please let me know if this sounds cruel, do you think a dog training collar with a charge would work? I am not very good at hitting an animal, certainly not with a 2x4. I have tried to push his head to the side and tell him NO, but I don't know if that is working either. He is use to getting treats from me, so he starts off sniffing my hand, then he starts to rub his head against my hand, then his tail starts awagging and he starts getting loopy acting(like he does when the girl were in heat).

9. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    I suggest you stop giving him treats inside the pen. I did that a few times, and they got much more intrusive very fast, I stopped. Now if I have them they get treats through the fence. I was giving them rose hips, don't have any now, so they don't get any treats. But the 2x4 ( a 2x2 would probably work and weigh less to carry) is a good idea, you might not need it, but it would be good to have it if you need protection. They can hurt you, and they are just being bucks, it isn't their fault. You have to stop this behavior before it gets worse.

Jan

10. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    If you push his head he sees that as a challenge as Goats use their heads to butt each other. Try a squirt bottle first, put it on stream and aim for his eyes/face, they don't like to get wet. I use whatever is handy at the time. I thick stick about the side of a rake handle works well, mine is about 4ft long and hes met the business end more than once. DH used to think it was cute to play fight with our Boer buckling, I had to put a stop to it when he tried to knock my legs out from under me. As cruel as it may sound in the beginning, its much better than putting down or re-homing an aggressive goat because he has badly hurt someone.

11. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    I agree with crocee- If you are pushing on him-he sees that as playing and will make him want to do it even more... Sounds like he is very friendly though....the squirt bottle worked for me and i even had to resort to a cattle prod (electric shock) for a 300 pound "bottle fed" boer buck. It stopped him- They dont realize how big they are. I still carry a stick-just in case

12. ENC

ENC New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    NE OK
    I don't hesitate to use a stick or board across the poll. This part of their head is very hard. It is also the way they work out their own pecking order, you need to be on top of it. I don't ever have a squirt bottle around and plenty of branches. You aren't going to do any serious damage unless you start trying to hit a home run. When my buck first came to live with me he started pressing his luck and I just started hitting him lightly at first till he backed down and walked away. I only had to swing about three times a little harder each time till he had enough. Now that he knows I am the alpha we haven't had any problems. He still likes me and will come near me and wait for me to show him some attention. The fact that he waits patiently for me to show him attention is the key.

Evan

13. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    teh feeding no treats in the pen is a great idea! believe me it works - their behavior changes.

The good thwack on the head is an option but I would try water first and the change in treat feeding. :thumb:

14. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I have a little bitty nigerian buck that does this. He looks at you and will make all those bucky noises and follow you around. I push him away and he stops, but he's not big enough for it to get out of control, but with a bigger buck like that you'll definately want to discipline him. It can get out of hand quickly if they aren't correct early with a problem like that. :thumb: