I think my doe has lice

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Nupine, Jan 12, 2008.

1. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio
    My nubian looks like she has lice. She is missing two patches of hair on her neck. If it is lice, what can I do about it, and how can I prevent it?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    missing hair doesn't mean lice but it could be.

Check through out her body for anything crawling on her.

You can use food grade DE or Sevin Dust. I have heard that ACV works as well - but it is cold right now and I don't think getting her all wet would be a good option.

3. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    If you have an orchelyn near you they have good pesticides.

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    with lice you can see them when you part her hair, they'll either be reddish or look white with black "heads". I have encountered this once with my nigi pygmy kid Angel, now she's white so they were easy to see. Dust with Sevin...available at most home centers like lowes or even tractor supply. You'll need to dust her sleeping area as well and for good measure dust ALL of your goats. Make sure they are not anemic by checking their eyelids, worm them if you feel the need and give them some molasses in their water, to boost their iron just in case.

5. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I had problems with my does losing patches of hair this summer, turned out to be mites. I sprayed a tobacco tincture on it with ACV and it took care of them in a week.

6. morganslil1

morganslil1 Guest

Nov 12, 2007
    I have heard 1 cc of ivermection SQ would get rid of them.

7. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    My goats came with lice- I used Ivermectin but they kept coming back. Then I heard you need to re-treat in 10 days. I did that and it was pretty much the end of the lice problem. About once a year, I see them start to scratch and repeat the treatment. I just use horse paste worming for the ivermectin in the fall and winter- cheaper and easier to administer. I wish I could get rid of them permanently but I think they are in the shed wood or something- come winter I have a problem again.

8. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    My weather came with lice.We tried sprays but decided that the dust was better.Dust all the goates and bedding areas if possible because they spread fast.

9. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    My "kids" arrived with lice last spring. We had a brand new goat pen, fresh bedding, a paddock that hasn't seen other livestock in 15+ years.....now it would be infected and I had no clue what to do. On the advice of another goat person, I used Advantix for small-medium sized dogs & have not seen a single lice-looking thing since. When I posted this on another group, I got loads of comments indicating you should never put Advantix or Frontline (we have ticks really, really bad here too so it was dual-purpose) on a fiber goat as it can cause major health problems and damage their skin, but I haven't seen any ill effects.

Just my 2 cents worth.

10. morganslil1

morganslil1 Guest

Nov 12, 2007
    I have heard that they can be brought in on hay.

11. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    It sure can be in the hay, especially if it is brought from a farm that has animals in the same barn that it's stored in.

For the tick problem I have every summer, I spray my goats with the brand of Bronco horse spray, it has permethrin and citronella and is cheap, keeps the ticks and flies off my goats.

12. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio
    Sorry I haven't been on here for a few days. She doesn't have lice, I checked her closely in the light all over. She is a large doe, and the goat feeder we use made the donkeys lose the hair on their necks. So that is what happened to her. When she puts her head in and out of the feeder the wood rubs it and some hair falls off. Thanks! At least I now know what to do if they have lice.

13. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    glad to know she is going ot be ok.

Maybe you need to space out the spindles on the feeder so that she doesn't have these issues.