Featured I think my doe has lice?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by BOERKING, Oct 7, 2017.

1. BOERKING

BOERKING Member

Jan 4, 2015
    kinda looks like she has black spots?

Will eprinex pour on help?

Attached Files:

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator

Yes it should help.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Yes it should.

DO they have loose salt and minerals as well?
    Kinda rough hair look there as well.

4. Goatzrule

Goatzrule Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    If you take a peice of tap and touch it to right behind their horn the lice will stick to the tap

Goat_Scout likes this.
  5. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    NC
    Copper and zinc supplementation should help a lot as well.

6. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Because of all the "cowlicks" in her fur where she is itching with her mouth - I would guess she does have lice. But the black "spots" in the fur are just a coloration, nothing to do with lice. Sometimes it is referred to as "ticking" and if she is getting her winter coat in, it may be more obvious than it was before. I have some paint boers that have ticked coats as well.

Lice can be seen with the naked eye if you part the fur and look very closely at the skin, but they are not typically black - usually dark yellowish/reddish.

Goat_Scout likes this.
  7. BOERKING

BOERKING Member

Jan 4, 2015
    I have loose minerals out but they seem to just ignore it, can I mix a little bit with grain?

I'll give copper bolus
    She does look deficient

Thanks guys!

8. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    You are welcome.

You can put some in their grain, but only to the ones who look deficient.

I find my goats do not like manna Pro minerals for goats. So I switched to a cattle mineral or another goat mineral and they do like others better.
    Make sure you get the highest in what they are lacking as you can with your choice.
    If one doesn't have it in there, I buy a bag that does, then mix it with the other minerals.

9. BOERKING

BOERKING Member

Jan 4, 2015
    So I gave eprinex pour on, and a day later she looks diffrent know, looks like she got more black.

Or was that all the lice dieing?

10. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator

Is it just dark skin showing through?

11. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Eprinex pouron can leave a black residue on them after it is dried.

ksalvagno likes this.
  12. WWJDNAA

WWJDNAA New Member

Oct 14, 2017
    Hello there, I am trying to treat a doe with lice. Could someone tell me how much Cyclence pour on to use topically on a (approx) 50 lb doe....also if you might know how much cydectin pour on to use orally. Also having a problem with a goat with cracked scaly looking appearance all around the muzzle, nose, chin. Poor thing looks miserable. I used some topical lotrimin but I think it is useless...I thought it was fungal but not sure....? Help please. Thank you.

13. WWJDNAA

WWJDNAA New Member

Oct 14, 2017
    Also, could you advise me whether I should invest in Cydectin or Eprinex? Thank you. :)

14. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Never used Cydectin.

Eprinex is safe for preggo does and kids, treats all kinds of things, mites, lice ect. Stays on if it rains.
    It is dosed at 1 cc per 22 lbs along the topline.
    Please know, never give pour on types orally, it is not good to do.

The stuff around the mouth and nose may be soremouth. It is very contagious but nothing can be done for it. It has to run it's course. Do you have pictures of it, so we can identify for sure?

Do they have free choice lose salt and minerals?

15. WWJDNAA

WWJDNAA New Member

Oct 14, 2017
    I do have a large mineral salt lick for them and a Himalayan one as well.

Great information. I will get the Eprinex and use topically. And what about the Cylence? I should mention that when we parted the hair along the ridge line, we could see tiny things (I thought were black) moving fast. Is it possible to avoid expense of Eprinex by using fly spray....? Thought I saw that posted by others...?

Also, this goat has had a tendency toward this condition (cracked skin of mouth/nose/etc)....she had it before....I'm trying to remember but i believe the vet gave her a steriod shot and it seemed to help...but cannot reach the vet currently. The fortunate part is that none of the others she is with (6 others) have anything like this.Hard to find good vets for goats.

We feed ample supply of good hay but not grain....learned along the way, it can cause problems and if they have decent weight, don't need it....hopefully you agree....?

I will try to get a picture of the mouth today and forward it.

I'm so glad we found you guys. This is a life saver! Thank you.

16. WWJDNAA

WWJDNAA New Member

Oct 14, 2017
    Also,with the Eprinex, is it ok to apply on the topline with a needle less syringe as opposed to purchasing the gun they sell.

And what wormers do you use and how often? TY

17. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    The blocks are no good. Goats cannot ge enough out of them and it is hard on their tongues.

Cylence, here is a good link.
    https://www.thegoatspot.net/threads/dosing-cylence.134264/

Fly spray, equiset or Flysect super 7 , that do kill lice, spray them down well, make sure you get it down to the skin if possible. Combing it in can help.

The goats need loose salt and minerals free choice. She needs zinc, copper, selenium and others.

A picture of the goats face and whole body would help to see.

What hay are you feeding?

Do you feed Alfalfa hay? Because that is the best calcium feed.
    Goats should have a little bit of grain sometimes for phosphorus. Like maybe 1 x a week give them some. Such as grains, corn, oats, wheat, barley. 2:1 ratio of calcium to phosphorus.

Bucks and wethers, we should also include ammonium chloride in their diets to prevent urinary calculi.

Has she been fecal checked for worms and cocci?
    How is her inner lower eyelids coloring?

Hope we can help figure out your goats issue.

GaGoats2017 likes this.