The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just weighed the kids today, I think it is good, what do you think? they are 42 days old, 37 lbs Dusty, 37 lbs Rave and 35 lbs Buffy, I'm not good at math, but I think it might be about 3/4 lb day? maybe less?

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
just weighed the kids today, I think it is good, what do you think? they are 42 days old, 37 lbs Dusty, 37 lbs Rave and 35 lbs Buffy, I'm not good at math, but I think it might be about 3/4 lb day? maybe less?
What were their birth weight, don't remember off the top of my head. (11-12 oz?) You are more than likely correct at 3/4 lb day though, the good way you keep up with weights. Sounds like a really good solid growth gain and hefty sized kids. (thumbup)

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OOPS!!! they are LaBoers, I didnt get a birth weight, but guess about 8, 8, 7, give or take, not giant kids but not small, (Russ was tiny, I think he was about 5 or under, he was the smallest runt I have ever had, at birth he could fit in a 1 gal bucket standing conferrable without touching the sides) these 3 where average

EDT: not OZ, LBS :heehee:

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I forgot to mention, the kids do not get grain, ONLY mom gets it, the kids are pulled at night so Letty can eat all her grain without the kids

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok, I got a real bathroom scale (not a weight tape) and weighed the kids... 46 days old, Buffy 35, Dusty 45, Rave 45, I got Buffy's rightish but was off on the boys, I will sell the boys at 8 weeks and keep Buffy back for a few more weeks, I didnt weigh them at birth so Buffy may have bean the runt, (and Letty has decided she is not hers so I have to hold her to let Buffy nurse, I do it 2-3 times a day) I guess it is repercussion for her first litter, Mama raising the black 2 and Letty only raising Russ, at least she is great with me holding her.

So now what is the ADG??? is there an online calculator for it???

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
ok, I got a real bathroom scale (not a weight tape) and weighed the kids... 46 days old, Buffy 35, Dusty 45, Rave 45, I got Buffy's rightish but was off on the boys, I will sell the boys at 8 weeks and keep Buffy back for a few more weeks, I didnt weigh them at birth so Buffy may have bean the runt, (and Letty has decided she is not hers so I have to hold her to let Buffy nurse, I do it 2-3 times a day) I guess it is repercussion for her first litter, Mama raising the black 2 and Letty only raising Russ, at least she is great with me holding her.

So now what is the ADG??? is there an online calculator for it???
Wow boers really do grow fast!!
I have two alpine bucklings weighing 14lbs apiece at birth and they have only gained 1/2 pound a day.
And I give them almost a pound of grain each a day.
They are wethers not sure if that stunts their growth.
I banded them at a week old(embarrassed) ( it says to do this in all my goat books) then read up on it here.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts