I think the buckling I bought has crooked legs? :(

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Dreamchaser, Apr 21, 2010.

1. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    I have been looking at my buckling I bought. And his front legs don't look right to me. I don't know if it was a deficiency when he was in the womb, or during growth or what. Maybe the weather back east had something to do with it?

From the front, they look straight. It's his cannon bone that looks bowed backward (think like the hump of a "D")

Please look at the photos, and see if you see what I'm seeing. Maybe I'm just imagining things because he is "new" to the crew?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    They look pretty normal to me. I have seen that in a lot of my fast growing bucklings, but they straighten out over time. But really your guy doesn't look like they are to crooked at all.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    his hooves need a trimming -his toes are long. he is showing weakness in what people call teh pastern area but there are no pasterns in teh front so I dont know what its called.

4. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Fetlocks I think are the front "pasterns". Okay. It has been so long since I have had "babies" I was starting to worry. And yes, he is growing by leaps and bounds! He is an eating machine. So trim his front hooves. What if there is "meat" there in the front hooves when I go to trim them? I'm afraid to hurt him.

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Trim a small amount each week until the toe isn't so long, this will leave enough time for the "quick" to retract.

6. Well, you should be able to cut some and if not keep it thin. Kind of like long quicks in a dog. You can slowly get them to pull back but it takes time.

7. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    go ahead and trim until you see pink, alot of goats have alot of 'meat' on their hooves, just scrape it away

8. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Stacey is right on with this. I once brought a yrlng to show who's knees were somewhat like your boy's. Judge said to trim more off the toes & they would straighten out. And they did!
    They were trimmed before the show but evidently not enough.

9. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    stacey is spot on... also maybe a little boost of selenium may help straighten those puppies out

10. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Everyone has great advice...I totally agree... :thumb: :grouphug:

11. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    The feed I give him has selenium in it. I don't want to overdo it. Thank for all the advice. I was really feeling down about it.

12. MiGoat

MiGoat New Member

Apr 21, 2010
    West Michigan
    I hate it when I purchase something and then something doesn't seem right.
    I'm so glad you feel good about the whole thing now. Now you can just enjoy him. :hug: