I think we have Naval Ill - what do I do?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by CodyAcres, Mar 7, 2009.

1. CodyAcres

CodyAcres New Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Rural Oklahoma
    The little 2 week old buckling we got day before yesterday. His naval looks like it could be another penis. Yesterday afternoon I noticed what looked like a little crack around where the naval cord connects to the belly and it was a little bloody, like it had been rubbed against something. I put iodine (not 7%, can't find it) on it last nite and again this morning. It looks more swollen this morning.

Do you think it's naval ill? What do I do? I've never given shots.

Jamie

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Can you get pictures of it? Is the dried part of his umbilical cord very long? What is his temp?

3. rgbdab

rgbdab New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    TEXAS
    Is the skin around the cord swollen and crusty? If so I use peroxide on it and gently peel some of the crust off and peroxide it again, then once or twice a day and it clears right up.
    If he has fever, he will need an antibiotic.

Denise

4. CodyAcres

CodyAcres New Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Rural Oklahoma
    I'll try to get a pic and post it here in a little bit. Is the only way to take the temp in the anus? I don't have a thermometer. I don't know how I'd manage to hold one in there for 3 minutes.

Jamie

5. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Yes, anal temp, you can do it, we have faith in you! Go to the www.fiascofarm.com website, they have info on how to give shots. If you get a digital thermometer you can get the temp a little faster, I think. Please get the temp...it's the only sure way to find out if he has a fever, fever means infection and you need to get on this ASAP!

6. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    They have digital thermometers that give temp readings in as little as 9 seconds. No way would I be holding a thermometer in a goats butt for 3 minutes. Too stressful for me and the goats, not to mention that goats do not stand still for long periods of time.

7. CodyAcres

CodyAcres New Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Rural Oklahoma
    Here's a pic of the umbilical cord.

8. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Others may see something else but I just see a normal looking sheath and his cord.

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    It may of got bumped or caught on something....it is probably why ..it has a split spot with a little blood at the belly line.....if you touch that area... is it hot or does it have a rotten smell?

10. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Continue with the iodine, it does look as though it got snagged and pulled....iodine will help dry it out. Do get a temp on him though, it will help you determine wether or not he actually needs an antibiotic. Normal temp is 101-103.5 higher than that and he definately has an infection.

11. rgbdab

rgbdab New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    TEXAS
    Buy a digital thermometer and write animal on it with a sharpie. They are very handy, takes temp in a few seconds. If it says animal on it, everyone knows it been in a butt.

D

12. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    had something simular happen to a kid of mine a couple years ago.

Pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was eventually able to remove the cord
    [​IMG]

the raw area healing
    [​IMG]

he left for his new home on time and no worse for wear.

I treated the area with rubbing alcohol per my mom's directions and it really worked.

13. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    ouch ...the burn..... :shocked:

14. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    he didnt seem to mind :shrug:

15. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    when I use rubbing alcohol... it really burns if I have a cut.... :shocked: LOL
    you had a tough goat....

16. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I didnt want to use peroxide as that stuff STINGS like nothing else!!! OUCH

17. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Actually, the rubbing alcohol would work better than the iodine. That cord needs to dry out, and the quick evaporation of the alcohol will do just that. Hey...thats what human baby doctors say to use on newborn cords...a cotton swab saturated with it and then go around the base of the stump. Alcohol will help lower the chance of an infection forming as well.

18. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Liz thats what my mom said :thumb:

19. CodyAcres

CodyAcres New Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Rural Oklahoma
    Ok, here's what I did (still didn't get a temp). I called the people I got him from. They said bring him up and they'll doctor him for me. So they cleaned it with peroxide, then put iodine on it, then honey (per another goat friends advice). Then they gave him some kind of nutri-drench and a tetanus shot. They felt it and there was no swelling or tenderness, and he feels just fine, doesn't act sick or like he's hurting. They said that they don't want to give him antibiotics just yet, because they kill the good bacteria too and if they're not needed, there's no need to do it. They gave me electrolites to give him in between bottles and said to call if he starts to act sick, but he will more than likely fight off any infection that may be present on his own.

He probably did pull it, or suck on it and make it come loose. He has had his mouth down there.

Thanks all for the tips and advice! I'll be getting a digi thermometer tomorrow or monday.

Jamie

20. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    sound right. I didnt give Pippin any antibitics and all the puse and stuff cleared up with topical treatments